OPEN[PLAY]Summer Boarders by Josephine Van Tassel Bruorton - thw

Plays and other dramatic works

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7493
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » February 9th, 2021, 7:10 pm

I think I see an incorrectly labeled line on page 8. Here we have Mrs. Wilkins and Miss Wicks both onstage, abbreviated as Mrs. W and Miss W. The following line says it's for Mrs. W, but I think it should be Miss Wicks:
Sakes alive! If I didn't forgit all about little Barretty! But land! There's plenty of room f'r that little younket, right up here to this end. Here! Come here, Barretty, an' let y'r Auntie Wicks fix it f'r ye! (Calls) Pansy! Yew git another plate!
There is a stage direction at the beginning of that line, too, so if I'm right, then our narrator would also need to be aware of this.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7493
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » February 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm

And here is the Widow Wilkins:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_widoww_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_widoww_3_128kb.mp3

I did not record the line I mentioned above, which I think is mislabeled.


mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7493
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » February 11th, 2021, 9:39 pm

Barretta is PL ok for act 2. Nice work, Jasmin! :D :thumbs:

benderca
Posts: 1835
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 22nd, 2021, 5:33 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
February 11th, 2021, 9:39 pm
Barretta is PL ok for act 2. Nice work, Jasmin! :D :thumbs:
Thanks, Devorah! I'll pass along your message! :D

Here's talkative little Barretta, Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_barrettabland_1_128kb.mp3

benderca
Posts: 1835
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » February 22nd, 2021, 6:23 pm

So, Jasmin and I didn't realize until the end of the first act that we were supposed to be an English family (too bad -- Jasmin does a bloody brilliant English accent too -- sounding strangely similar to Hermione Granger... :lol: ). So anyway, we've invented a backstory. The character descriptions only actually say that Mr. Bland is English, so... I'm American, married to an Englishman. We lived in England when Barretta was small (long enough for me to become critical and condescending regarding American food and culture and for her to get to know her grandparents), but then we moved to America and lived here long enough for Barretta to pick up the American accent. Sound plausible? :lol:

Here's Mrs. Bland, Act 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_mrsbland_1_128kb.mp3

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13503
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 22nd, 2021, 7:18 pm

Ah, one of those rich American heiresses married to Englishmen that needed dollars to fix up their castles, eh?

Thanks, Todd

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7493
Joined: August 7th, 2016, 6:39 pm

Post by mightyfelix » February 22nd, 2021, 9:09 pm

A perfectly plausible position. :wink:

Kalamareader
Posts: 990
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » Yesterday, 1:18 pm

benderca wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 6:23 pm
So, Jasmin and I didn't realize until the end of the first act that we were supposed to be an English family (too bad -- Jasmin does a bloody brilliant English accent too -- sounding strangely similar to Hermione Granger... :lol: ). So anyway, we've invented a backstory. The character descriptions only actually say that Mr. Bland is English, so... I'm American, married to an Englishman. We lived in England when Barretta was small (long enough for me to become critical and condescending regarding American food and culture and for her to get to know her grandparents), but then we moved to America and lived here long enough for Barretta to pick up the American accent. Sound plausible? :lol:

Here's Mrs. Bland, Act 1:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_mrsbland_1_128kb.mp3
I love it!!!! :clap:

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot

WhiskeySong
Posts: 28
Joined: December 25th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Contact:

Post by WhiskeySong » Yesterday, 9:05 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_mrsschultz_1_128kb.mp3 2.32 KB (2:28)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_mrsschultz_3_128kb.mp3 2.70 KB (2:52)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_mrsschultz_4_128kb.mp3 3.92 KB (4:10)

Sorry it took so long, I was narrating an audiobook, & I had a steep learning curve. Hope this suffices. :)
Renaissance Woman
Life isn't about surviving the storm, but if we dance in the rain!


ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13503
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » Today, 7:29 am

mightyfelix wrote:
February 9th, 2021, 9:22 pm
And here is the Widow Wilkins:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_widoww_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/summerboarders_widoww_3_128kb.mp3

I did not record the line I mentioned above, which I think is mislabeled.
PL OK. I see that it is more confusing than printed or you suggest, for if you are not really a widow, then you are not Mrs W but yet another Miss W for the script line names....

Thanks, Todd

Post Reply