COMPLETE[PLAY]Lightnin' by Smith and Bacon - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Haven't forgotten about this one. Trying to March a few projects to the finish line. This one will cycle to the finish line in April (oh my I created the Librivox triathlon :lol: :lol:)
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ambsweet13 wrote: March 28th, 2021, 6:42 pmHaven't forgotten about this one. Trying to March a few projects to the finish line. This one will cycle to the finish line in April (oh my I created the Librivox triathlon :lol: :lol:)
awww, when I saw you posted I was hoping you would be marching this project to the finish line...it well qualifies :lol:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Hi,
I can take a stab at Acts 2&3 stage directions, if you’re amenable.

Scotty
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. These acts have been running rather long, so in addition to the "Act 2 of" and "Act 3 of" in the two intros, please also record intros with "Act 2 Part 1 of", "Act 2 Part 2 of", "Act 3 Part 1 of", and "Act 3 Part 2 of" in case I need to split acts into 2 sections when I edit.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

In the stage directions, I have split the prologue from Act 1 scene 1 into 2 files and made all the cuts identified in PL. Only fixes required there now are
> at 1:05:03: (p. 38) "Lem shocked and very indignant" – I think you say "indigenant"

> at 1:05:11: (p. 38) "Margaret emphatically" – you say "empathetically"
as well as the "prologue" and "scene 1" additions to the intros/outros.

Cuts I made can be PL'd in the final PL after assembly - there will be more cuts made as well in the normal process of editing.

EDIT: The act 1 scene 2 file just needs the scene 2 additions to intro/outro as well

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I assembled a draft of the Prologue - and discovered that I had missed Oscar Nelson when asettin' up the MW. He's an important character as he has the first line in the play!

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ToddHW wrote: May 6th, 2021, 5:55 am In the stage directions, I have split the prologue from Act 1 scene 1 into 2 files and made all the cuts identified in PL. Only fixes required there now are
> at 1:05:03: (p. 38) "Lem shocked and very indignant" – I think you say "indigenant"

> at 1:05:11: (p. 38) "Margaret emphatically" – you say "empathetically"
as well as the "prologue" and "scene 1" additions to the intros/outros.

Cuts I made can be PL'd in the final PL after assembly - there will be more cuts made as well in the normal process of editing.

EDIT: The act 1 scene 2 file just needs the scene 2 additions to intro/outro as well

Thanks, Todd
Actually, the "indignant" and the "empathetically" can be cut - the readers already sound like that. So only the intro/outro fixes are needed.

EDIT: no intro/outro fixes required - Sonia pasted them together from what was already submitted.

Thanks, Todd
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

The Act 2 stage directions:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lightnin_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3
(43:42)

Let me know if I read anything weird in addition to the omissions and mistakes and I’ll be happy to change it
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

I'll be happy to claim Oscar Nelson!

Greg
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks pardna. We was jest awaitin' fer ya to show up.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

iBeScotty wrote: May 6th, 2021, 2:26 pmThe Act 2 stage directions:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lightnin_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3
(43:42)
Let me know if I read anything weird in addition to the omissions and mistakes and I’ll be happy to change it
hi Scott, and thank you so much for taking over here and helping us finish. And I was instantly riveted by the cool accent, which to me sounds quite Texan (untrained ear though... :lol: ) It gives an overall great period/local feeling to the whole.

As for errors...I have listened to the first 6 minutes (3 pages) of your file now and unfortunately you forgot many character names, which we need spoken each time the description is at the beginning of the speech. It is a sort of informal "rule" we implement in drama, to make it clear who is speaking. When the directions are in the middle or at the end of the speech, you can leave the name out, when they are at the beginning, you need to add it.

So here is the list of what to change for the first 6 minutes. After that I stopped, because the list would be too long. :? I would recommend listening to your whole file again, while reading along with the text. Each time the direction is at the beginning of speech, record that character name and insert it. Soon you will find that it's only a handful of names that will need to be added, so recording them once and then always copy/pasting them in the appropriate spot will be the easiest and least time consuming method. As you can see in my PL notes, in the first 6 minutes you'll only need to record "Sheriff", "Emily" and "Walter" and paste them into 9 slots.

I will listen to the whole after your inserts, looking out for anything else missed. So far the first 3 pages look good, except for that one missed rule, that you probably weren't aware of if it's your first time reading stage directions. :?

(p. 73)
> at 3:12: "Sheriff, looking up from paper"
> at 3:22: "Emily, puts paper and flowers on her chair"
> at 4:12: "Walter, going behind clerk's desk"
(p. 74)
> at 4:34: "Emily, noticing windows"
> at 4:45: "Walter, coming down steps, to clerk's desk"
> at 4:49: "Walter, crosses up to Emily"
> at 5:50: "Walter, winking at her and nodding at sheriff"
> at 5:38: "Emily, comes down right of Walter"
> at 5:43: "Walter, goes center"

Thanks

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

ToddHW wrote: May 7th, 2021, 4:45 am Thanks pardna. We was jest awaitin' fer ya to show up.

Todd
:lol:
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Thank you Sonia, that makes sense. It should be an easy fix and I’ll get right on that.

As for accent, I am not really sure what it is as I wasn’t specifically going for anything. My favorites are Arizona and North Carolina so it is probably something in between, like Texas. I spent time in Alabama growing up so there may be some of that in there too
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I have prologue and both scenes of Act 1 completely assembled, though not ready for PL yet.

Missing a couple of lines for Act 1 Scene 1.

Mrs Jones, p45: "Start!"
Mrs Jones, p51: "So are you all ready to go? "

Millie (Mildred), p48: "I'll take it up to her"

Separate little files please.

Thanks, Todd