ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » December 13th, 2020, 11:27 am

Acts 1 and 2 PL OK.

In Act 3
@7:04 Missed a couple lines on pages 144, 145 that are spoken with Mr E-B:
"Ah!"
"The National Gallery"

I think you can see why I did not take the part of Mr E-B....

Thanks, Todd

AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja » December 13th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Hi there,

This is probably going to sound pretty daft, but I'm still pretty new around here and dramatic works sound like fun. I just wanted to clarify how one goes about being a part of one before I go and make a fool of myself.

If I understand correctly, you read all the lines for your assigned character (for the Act) into a single file for upload and somebody else works their magic in turning this into a wonderful final product?

Thanks for you help,
Annie

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » December 13th, 2020, 4:42 pm

AngeliqueAnja wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 4:26 pm
Hi there,

This is probably going to sound pretty daft, but I'm still pretty new around here and dramatic works sound like fun. I just wanted to clarify how one goes about being a part of one before I go and make a fool of myself.

If I understand correctly, you read all the lines for your assigned character (for the Act) into a single file for upload and somebody else works their magic in turning this into a wonderful final product?

Thanks for you help,
Annie
Welcome to Librivox. We were all new once. And yes, you have it right. Who would you like to be?

Here is a short summary for the important special rules in drama:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Lillian Wendale, by the villian still pursued [= what it says in the MW for that character], read by XXXX" (XXX = your reader name )

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) upload a different file for each act your character is in, named as it says in the fist posting. Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 5-10 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 5-10 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Who would you like to be?

Just post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd

AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja » December 13th, 2020, 4:51 pm

Thanks for that. There's quite a bit that you told me there that I had not figured out, so thank you.

If it's alright, I'll put my name down for Lucy Tuck.

Annie

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » December 13th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Great.

Any questions, just post. We're a friendly bunch.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 15th, 2020, 3:57 am

AngeliqueAnja wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 5:18 pm
Here are my Lucy Tuck files.
I hope that they're alright!
awww, a super job you did here, Annie :clap: is this the first time you voice act ? You had no trouble creating a great character for poor Lucy. She is so endearingly humble, yet proper and society-conscious, especially in Act 3 the character is well developed. :thumbs: I really loved it and am looking forward to your other Lucy now, who is a bit more feisty :mrgreen:

Acts 1, 2 and 4 are straight PL ok.

However I found a few notes to correct for act 3 at the folloing spots:

> at 1:12 (p. 131): "but suppose his people were to see him in this condition !" – by mistake you inserted "I" here, which changes the sentence. Lucy is shocked here and eager to prevent a meeting between parents and drunk son

> at about 3:15 (p. 135): missed quote: "Miss Mountrafford !"

> at 4:53 (p. 140): "and what's more, she – she isn't Miss Mountrafford at all" – I hear something like "sin" instead of "she", could you check this out please ? :hmm:

Only one general comment for Act 3: while the exuberance in showing Lucy's outraged emotions here is brilliantly acted out, be careful not too scream too loud, as there is the risk of clipping the audio and distorting the sound. Also it makes the DPL (=me) jump when all of a sudden you scream :lol: No need to correct it for this time, our editor will adjust the volume later on, but maybe it's a good advice for further plays ;)

Thanks

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 15th, 2020, 8:51 am

ToddHW wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 11:27 am
In Act 3
"Ah!"
"The National Gallery"
thank you for the fast PL Todd :)

oops, indeed missed those two, they are added now at 7:04.
Also I noticed that I was not consistent in my pronunciation of Mountrafford in one sentence at 0:44. :oops: I redid that line as well "has Mrs Mountrafford come in yet ?"

Ready for Spot PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_clara_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 11:00 min.

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » December 15th, 2020, 9:27 am

and here is the finale....the Bompasses seem to get a content happy end after all

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_clara_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 8:05 min.

really enjoyed this part

Sonia

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone » December 15th, 2020, 10:13 am

alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » December 15th, 2020, 11:25 am

Kitty wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 8:51 am
ToddHW wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 11:27 am
In Act 3
"Ah!"
"The National Gallery"
thank you for the fast PL Todd :)

oops, indeed missed those two, they are added now at 7:04.
Also I noticed that I was not consistent in my pronunciation of Mountrafford in one sentence at 0:44. :oops: I redid that line as well "has Mrs Mountrafford come in yet ?"

Ready for Spot PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_clara_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 11:00 min.

Sonia
Thank you. PL OK.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » December 15th, 2020, 11:39 am

Kitty wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 9:27 am
and here is the finale....the Bompasses seem to get a content happy end after all

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_clara_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 8:05 min.

really enjoyed this part

Sonia
Nicely done. PL OK.

Thanks, Todd

AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja » December 15th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Kitty wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 3:57 am

awww, a super job you did here, Annie :clap: is this the first time you voice act ? You had no trouble creating a great character for poor Lucy. She is so endearingly humble, yet proper and society-conscious, especially in Act 3 the character is well developed. :thumbs: I really loved it and am looking forward to your other Lucy now, who is a bit more feisty :mrgreen:
Actually yes it is the first time that I've done anything like this. I'm hoping to sometime next year record my own audiobooks.
Kitty wrote:

> at 4:53 (p. 140): "and what's more, she – she isn't Miss Mountrafford at all" – I hear something like "sin" instead of "she", could you check this out please ? :hmm:
I knew I should have double checked that line with the PDF instead of believing the HTML version... All fixed now, along with the others!
Kitty wrote:

Only one general comment for Act 3: while the exuberance in showing Lucy's outraged emotions here is brilliantly acted out, be careful not too scream too loud, as there is the risk of clipping the audio and distorting the sound. Also it makes the DPL (=me) jump when all of a sudden you scream :lol: No need to correct it for this time, our editor will adjust the volume later on, but maybe it's a good advice for further plays ;)
Oops... Sorry about that... It didn't sound that bad when I listened to it before submitting it, but maybe I just didn't have my headphones loud enough... (Didn't mean to make you jump!) Plus I even did try reducing the volume in that section... ahhh well, I'll keep that in mind next time!

Here you are, an edited version of Act 3:https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/times_lucytuck_3_128kb.mp3