OPEN[GROUP]Shakespeare Monologues Collection vol. 16 (Multilingual) by Shakespeare - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
jennlea
Posts: 1148
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Post by jennlea » January 23rd, 2021, 8:34 am

Here is my contribution:

O, what a noble mind is here o'erthrown
by Ophelia
Hamlet Act 3, Scene 1
English
https://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/women/plays/31

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_owhatanoblemind_jb_128kb.mp3
1:33
-Jenn B.
My Recordings


Leni
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13653
Joined: July 27th, 2008, 9:10 pm
Location: Vitória, Brazil

Post by Leni » January 27th, 2021, 5:57 pm

jennlea wrote:
January 23rd, 2021, 8:34 am
Here is my contribution:

O, what a noble mind is here o'erthrown
by Ophelia
Hamlet Act 3, Scene 1
English
https://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/women/plays/31

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_owhatanoblemind_jb_128kb.mp3
1:33
Excellent reading, PL OK!
Leni
=================

Pliny's Natural History, volume 6 is in need of readers! Come help us out!

jennlea
Posts: 1148
Joined: February 10th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Post by jennlea » January 27th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Leni wrote:
January 27th, 2021, 5:57 pm
Excellent reading, PL OK!
Thank you, Leni :9:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings

Juls11
Posts: 21
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 10:29 am

Post by Juls11 » January 27th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Hi Todd...if this is an active project is it possible to submit more than 1 monologue? ENJOY your evening.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13536
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » January 27th, 2021, 7:56 pm

Yes, this is an active project. And Yes, you can submit more than one monologue.

The one minute test is a good way to make sure your equipment is set up properly.

Thanks, Todd

Juls11
Posts: 21
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 10:29 am

Post by Juls11 » January 31st, 2021, 4:41 pm

This is my first recording aside from the preliminary test. SORRY, the editing got away from me. It was going well then it took a turn in certain spots and I'm not sure how to fix it. If you find that it's salvageable, THANK YOU and if possible I'd love to know how it was fixed so I won't repeat the same mistakes.

Much Ado About Nothing, Act 3 Scene 1, Leonato's garden by Beatrice (or What fire is in mine ears? Can this be true?), read in English from https://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/women/plays/6, length: 01:08, the name for the LibriVox catalogue: Juls11.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_leonatosgarden_j_128kb.mp3

Thanks and ENJOY your evening!

Juls11

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13536
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 1st, 2021, 5:17 am

Do you have the original recording before editing? Keeping a separate copy before you do any editing can be a good idea; in addition to allowing a fresh start at editing, a backup is helpful - a computer crash while Audacity is running can ruin a file you are editing, for example. You will find postings around our forums bewailing the irretrievable loss of nearly hour-long recordings.... Other thing you can do for backup is export and save mp3s at various stages of your editing.

The following feedback is only becuz you asked - our standard in general is just that a recording be legible. Nobody else "salvages" recordings for anybody, but we can try to help you get a recording you are happier with.

* It is obvious from the nice clean introduction words that something happened later in the recording.

* Some of the sound changes may be due to too much noise reduction. If you upload the raw recording (or even made a new one before any editing) we could perhaps tell.

* Another possibility is that you moved yourself with respect to the built in microphone - maybe changed distance or the way you were facing? Again, if you upload the raw recording we could perhaps tell.

(If you do upload a raw recording, just give it the same file name you used plus add _rawrecording to the end of the file name.)

* It might just have been a bad day, and re-recording the entire thing would show if that's it. Better to experiment now while the record length is only this short....

Thanks, Todd

Juls11
Posts: 21
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 10:29 am

Post by Juls11 » February 1st, 2021, 6:05 pm

Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 1, Out Damned Spot by Lady Macbeth, English, Reading source: Macbeth by William Shakespeare - Project Gutenberg, Length: 02m36s. Read by Juls11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_outdamnedspot_j_128kb.mp3

Juls11
Posts: 21
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 10:29 am

Post by Juls11 » February 1st, 2021, 9:23 pm

ToddHW wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 5:17 am
Do you have the original recording before editing? Keeping a separate copy before you do any editing can be a good idea; in addition to allowing a fresh start at editing, a backup is helpful - a computer crash while Audacity is running can ruin a file you are editing, for example. You will find postings around our forums bewailing the irretrievable loss of nearly hour-long recordings.... Other thing you can do for backup is export and save mp3s at various stages of your editing.

The following feedback is only becuz you asked - our standard in general is just that a recording be legible. Nobody else "salvages" recordings for anybody, but we can try to help you get a recording you are happier with.

* It is obvious from the nice clean introduction words that something happened later in the recording.

* Some of the sound changes may be due to too much noise reduction. If you upload the raw recording (or even made a new one before any editing) we could perhaps tell.

* Another possibility is that you moved yourself with respect to the built in microphone - maybe changed distance or the way you were facing? Again, if you upload the raw recording we could perhaps tell.

(If you do upload a raw recording, just give it the same file name you used plus add _rawrecording to the end of the file name.)

* It might just have been a bad day, and re-recording the entire thing would show if that's it. Better to experiment now while the record length is only this short....

Thanks, Todd
THANKS for your feedback Todd! I went back and made additional edits to the same recording that was originally sent, unfortunately, I didn't keep an unedited copy but I will next time :) I'll be posting the link to the revision in a separate post. At the moment I'm having trouble uploading the revision. When I try it says there's a syntax error. However, in the meantime, I did record and upload a different monologue, keeping in mind your helpful tips, and the link to that was posted in the forum earlier today.

ENJOY your evening,
Juls11

Juls11
Posts: 21
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 10:29 am

Post by Juls11 » February 1st, 2021, 9:56 pm

Juls11 wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 4:41 pm
This is my first recording aside from the preliminary test. SORRY, the editing got away from me. It was going well then it took a turn in certain spots and I'm not sure how to fix it. If you find that it's salvageable, THANK YOU and if possible I'd love to know how it was fixed so I won't repeat the same mistakes.

Much Ado About Nothing, Act 3 Scene 1, Leonato's garden by Beatrice (or What fire is in mine ears? Can this be true?), read in English from https://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/women/plays/6, length: 01:08, the name for the LibriVox catalogue: Juls11.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_leonatosgarden_j_128kb.mp3

Thanks and ENJOY your evening!

Juls11
Please see REVISED reading...THANKS, Juls11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_revisedleonatosgarden_j_128kb.mp3

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13536
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 2nd, 2021, 5:30 am

Juls11 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 6:05 pm
Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 1, Out Damned Spot by Lady Macbeth, English, Reading source: Macbeth by William Shakespeare - Project Gutenberg, Length: 02m36s. Read by Juls11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_outdamnedspot_j_128kb.mp3
Thank you. Can you provide a link to the script (as you did for the other monologue)? - we link that into each of the readings.

Nice recording, and PL OK.

Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 13536
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » February 2nd, 2021, 5:33 am

Juls11 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 9:56 pm
Juls11 wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 4:41 pm
This is my first recording aside from the preliminary test. SORRY, the editing got away from me. It was going well then it took a turn in certain spots and I'm not sure how to fix it. If you find that it's salvageable, THANK YOU and if possible I'd love to know how it was fixed so I won't repeat the same mistakes.

Much Ado About Nothing, Act 3 Scene 1, Leonato's garden by Beatrice (or What fire is in mine ears? Can this be true?), read in English from https://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/women/plays/6, length: 01:08, the name for the LibriVox catalogue: Juls11.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_leonatosgarden_j_128kb.mp3

Thanks and ENJOY your evening!

Juls11
Please see REVISED reading...THANKS, Juls11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_revisedleonatosgarden_j_128kb.mp3
I'm not sure the additional edits help as much as you would want. The recording and any edits you made to Out Damned Spot ended up sounding better. What did you do differently for that reading than for this one? You might try a new recording of this one with the same setup.

Can you please upload with the same name as your original? - that is what is now linked in the MW, and when you upload a new version, it replaces the old file.

Thanks, Todd

Juls11
Posts: 21
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 10:29 am

Post by Juls11 » February 3rd, 2021, 5:42 pm

ToddHW wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 5:30 am
Juls11 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 6:05 pm
Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 1, Out Damned Spot by Lady Macbeth, English, Reading source: Macbeth by William Shakespeare - Project Gutenberg, Length: 02m36s. Read by Juls11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_outdamnedspot_j_128kb.mp3
Thank you. Can you provide a link to the script (as you did for the other monologue)? - we link that into each of the readings.

Nice recording, and PL OK.

Todd
http://gutenberg.org or http://shakespeare.mit.edu/ .

Juls11
Posts: 21
Joined: January 27th, 2021, 10:29 am

Post by Juls11 » February 3rd, 2021, 6:03 pm

ToddHW wrote:
February 2nd, 2021, 5:33 am
Juls11 wrote:
February 1st, 2021, 9:56 pm
Juls11 wrote:
January 31st, 2021, 4:41 pm
This is my first recording aside from the preliminary test. SORRY, the editing got away from me. It was going well then it took a turn in certain spots and I'm not sure how to fix it. If you find that it's salvageable, THANK YOU and if possible I'd love to know how it was fixed so I won't repeat the same mistakes.

Much Ado About Nothing, Act 3 Scene 1, Leonato's garden by Beatrice (or What fire is in mine ears? Can this be true?), read in English from https://www.shakespeare-monologues.org/women/plays/6, length: 01:08, the name for the LibriVox catalogue: Juls11.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_leonatosgarden_j_128kb.mp3

Thanks and ENJOY your evening!

Juls11
Please see REVISED reading...THANKS, Juls11.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sm16_revisedleonatosgarden_j_128kb.mp3
I'm not sure the additional edits help as much as you would want. The recording and any edits you made to Out Damned Spot ended up sounding better. What did you do differently for that reading than for this one? You might try a new recording of this one with the same setup.

Can you please upload with the same name as your original? - that is what is now linked in the MW, and when you upload a new version, it replaces the old file.

Thanks, Todd
I can try again, and this time maybe I'll be less enthusiastic with applying the noise reduction edit :)
I'll be sure to use the same file name when uploading.
THANKS again.

Juls11

Post Reply