COMPLETE[PLAY]The Cradle Song by Sierra - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

The Cradle Song by Gregorio Martínez Sierra (1881 - 1947). Translated by John Garrett Underhill (1876 - 1946)

"In 1911 [Martinez Sierra and his wife/uncredited co-author Maria] achieved a definitive and permanent triumph with the production of The Cradle Song.... The Cradle Song is a reminiscence of Maria's youth in Carabanchel, a town in which her father was convent doctor and where her sister took the veil, the Sister Joanna of the Cross of the play. [Martinez] has paused to probe some universal passion or emotion... in The Cradle Song, to echo the cry of the eternal mother instinct while has been stifled and denied.... The Cradle Song has been translated into many languages, and has been played and imitated widely throughout the civilized world."
( The Translator)
  • This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-cradle-song-by-gregorio-martinez-sierra/

With Madam Pepita in final edit, time for another play by Martinez Sierra.

Gender neutral. Kitty will be your ever watchful DPL, and as Vicaress she will be keeping a close eye on you.

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cradlesongotherp00martiala/page/xviii/mode/2up
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: C1LoUU2e
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Gregorio Martínez Sierra) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorio_Martínez_Sierra
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 38
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      • Original publication date (if known): 1911
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Plays/Drama

Keywords that describe the book: Devotion, religious life, sisters, childless, mother instinct

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Cradle Song by Gregorio Martínez Sierra. Translated by John Garrett Underhill (1876 - 1946) This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. Add at the end of the entire play: End of The Cradle Song by Gregorio Martínez Sierra. Translated by John Garrett Underhill.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        cradlesong_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
      Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oh ! you launched already. Ok let me get into my severe nun's costume and we can start. :lol:

Claiming a very stern vicaress this time. And DPL.

Potential volunteers:

Abandon hope, all ye who enter. :mrgreen:

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read the Poet?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Seems strange to have an Interlude between acts, but I guess no stranger than a Prologue and Epilogue which this doesn't have.

Todd
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I can play Antonio, though I think he's in Act 2 and not Act 1.
Tomas Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. MW fixed.

Todd
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

I am considering offering to read the Countryman, but I can't find his lines; I've searched using the search bar, and I've also done a manual search of each page in the first act twice, without success. Would you be willing to point out his lines to me?
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Salvationist wrote: October 24th, 2020, 1:53 pm I am considering offering to read the Countryman, but I can't find his lines; I've searched using the search bar, and I've also done a manual search of each page in the first act twice, without success. Would you be willing to point out his lines to me?
It is A Voice and then Voice at bottom of page 9 and top of 10. Sorry - I should have left a note in the MW since the Character List and script don't agree.

Thanks, Todd
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

ToddHW wrote: October 24th, 2020, 3:01 pm It is A Voice and then Voice at bottom of page 9 and top of 10. Sorry - I should have left a note in the MW since the Character List and script don't agree.

Thanks, Todd
Thank you for pointing the lines out to me, Todd! May I read this part?
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I claim Sister Marcella?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mlee06

Post by mlee06 »

I would like to read Teresa if possible, however I'm a bit confused about the parts where she has to sing in the script? Is there a specific tune or do I just read it?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mlee06 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 1:56 pm I would like to read Teresa if possible, however I'm a bit confused about the parts where she has to sing in the script? Is there a specific tune or do I just read it?
You just speak the lines. No music.

Thank you, and welcome to Librivox. Hope someone has given you the habit-forming addiction warning....

Please take the One Minute Test - not an audition, but a way to make sure your equipment is set up before you record something we can not use.

The first posting in this (and every) project has the instructions on file names and uploading files and posting the uploader link in the forum to have the file Proof-Listened. These instructions are pretty standard throughout Librivox. I have also made a short summary for the important special rules in drama, so here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2-3 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd, here is your reverend mother the Vicaress. A word of warning: after hearing this you may end up having nightmares of me sternly rapping your knuckles with a ruler :lol:

(though to be fair: in the second act she shows a more human side, especially at the end...she does have a redeeming quality)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cradlesong_vicaress_1_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 7:28 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cradlesong_vicaress_1_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 8:29 min.

Oh since you didn't note in the MW that the vicaress should read the ALL lines, I left them all out on purpose. I hope that was ok. She is probably aloof to all of that and thinks only the novices should chime in there. If you think I need to be part of a chorus, let me know and I'll add them.
I would also like DPL confirmation here: should I only ask the ALL lines for those characters where you mentioned it in the MW ?

Sonia