COMPLETE[PLAY]The Belle's Stratagem by Hannah Cowley - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Do you think Villers would be ok read by a woman? I was looking at Courtall and Villers but Courtall should definitely be a guy...
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

I cast all the plays I offer as gender neutral. Up to you in creating your character if you want to think of the role as the male that author might have intended, or think of it as female instead. (You can't change the written pronouns though.) If the former, keeping the role male, it is up to you if you want to try to pitch your voice lower to sound like a deeper voiced male or not.

Thanks, Todd
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Hmm yes I'm familiar with gender neutral casting, it just seemed a little better for Villers to be read by a woman than Courtall...(don't worry Villers, you're still a boy...)
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

If it is still open I would like to claim the role of Courtall, please.

Thank you!

Greg
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: December 1st, 2020, 12:36 pmSaville, Act 1, duration 6:48
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bellesstratagem_saville_1_128kb.mp3

By the way, I believe one of Saville's lines is mislabeled Servant. It's toward the end of Act 1, Scene 1, and begins "Five minutes! Zounds!..." The Servant has just exited, so I think it's Saville's (and I recorded it).
well done, I suspect this was a typo in the Gutenberg transcript "Sav." and "Serv." being very similar. I agree, this should be Saville.

And wonderfully portrayed, Mike :clap: Sort of best buddy, carefree young rogue, the play abunds in those :lol: Excellent job, and I love the exuberant laugh at one point. Looking forward to the rest of the role. This act is PL ok already.

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: December 2nd, 2020, 3:27 amIf it is still open I would like to claim the role of Courtall, please.
thanks, Greg, now I am really curious about how you will portray this guy. Quite a challenging role. :thumbs: Have fun !

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hardy act 5

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bellesstratagem_hardy_5.mp3

Enjoyable role, he is a bit of a pompous ass and one can have fun with that :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 4:19 amHardy act 5
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bellesstratagem_hardy_5.mp3
Enjoyable role, he is a bit of a pompous ass and one can have fun with that :lol:
yes he is so endearingly jovial somehow, I really like this character. And you played him very convincingly. :thumbs: This is also perfectly PL ok. Well done, Alan, an optimal casting with you.

Thanks

Sonia
MManolakes

Post by MManolakes »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Here are all the acts that Courtall appears in:

Act One -

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bellesstratagem_Courtall_1_128kb.mp3

NOTE - the scene begins with Courtall singing but I could not find any mention of what he is singing so I simply recorded him humming a tune I made up. It seems liked a minor detail and there is no further mention of it subsequently

Act Two -

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bellesstratagem_Courtall_2_128kb.mp3

Act Three -

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bellesstratagem_Courtall_3_128kb.mp3

Act Four -

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bellesstratagem_Courtall_4_128kb.mp3

Take care,

Greg
Last edited by GregGiordano on December 5th, 2020, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MManolakes wrote: December 5th, 2020, 12:08 pmSaville, Act 3, duration 4:50
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/bellesstratagem_saville_3_128kb.mp3
sorry for being so late in feedback, Mike, but I finally had a listen to your Saville and he is as charming as in the previous act. :thumbs: starting out to be the knight in shining armour for his old love. :9: Well done, and all PL ok. Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

GregGiordano wrote: December 5th, 2020, 12:54 pmHere are all the acts that Courtall appears in:

NOTE - the scene begins with Courtall singing but I could not find any mention of what he is singing so I simply recorded him humming a tune I made up. It seems liked a minor detail and there is no further mention of it subsequently
and while I was at it, I also listened to all of Courtall. As for the humming at the beginning, I like it, and I let Todd decide whether he wants to use it or not. Made-up tune is always best, as we won't have copyright troubles there ;)

And an excellent job you did of Courtall. Wow you sound positively evil in some parts. :shock: The laughs about your country cousins, and then the whole scheming to ruin a lady. :evil: Showing a nasty side of you here, Greg ? :mrgreen: In any case, I could tell you had mega-fun acting this out. :thumbs: Thank you so much !

Acts 2-4 are PL ok.

One small note for Act 1 though:

> at 0:32: "that my cousins Fallow" – you say "that my fellow cousins Fallow" - there is one "fellow too many" ;)

oh and just as a reminder, it would be best if you didn't use capital letters in your filenames. For drama it's not so important, but it's a general rule that we don't use capitals, since that messes up the archiving later.

Sonia
GregGiordano

Post by GregGiordano »

Kitty wrote: December 7th, 2020, 3:02 am
GregGiordano wrote: December 5th, 2020, 12:54 pmHere are all the acts that Courtall appears in:

and while I was at it, I also listened to all of Courtall. As for the humming at the beginning, I like it, and I let Todd decided whether he wants to use or not. Made-up tune is always best, as we won't have copyright troubles there ;)

And an excellent job you did of Courtall. Wow you sound positively evil in some parts. :shock: The laughs about your country cousins, and then the whole scheming to ruin a lady. :evil: Showing a nasty side of you here, Greg ? :mrgreen: In any case, I could tell you had mega-fun acting this out. :thumbs: Thank you so much !

Acts 2-4 are PL ok.

One small note for Act 1 though:

> at 0:32: "that my cousins Fallow" – you say "that my fellow cousins Fallow" - there is one "fellow too many" ;)

oh and just as a reminder, it would be best if you didn't use capital letters in your filenames. For drama it's not so important, but it's a general rule that we don't use capitals, since that messes up the archiving later.

Sonia
Thank you, Sonia. I did have fun reading this part. Courtall is a scheming creep and it was an interesting role!

I shall make the corrections you requested. Capitalizing the file names is just an old habit that I will work hard to break for future dramas.

Thank you, as always!

Take care and have a wonderful day.

Greg