OPEN[PLAY]Purgatory of St. Patrick by Calderón - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » November 4th, 2020, 10:44 am

Oops I forgot to run the test through Checker but I have done that and it comes back at 78.8 db. Obviously I will need to raise the volume a bit. I wanted to save you the trouble of having to run checker on it.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » November 6th, 2020, 10:44 am

Tchaikovsky wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 10:44 am
Oops I forgot to run the test through Checker but I have done that and it comes back at 78.8 db. Obviously I will need to raise the volume a bit. I wanted to save you the trouble of having to run checker on it.
Did you post the test over in the Listeners Wanted forum? That's where people will see it to check and okay it.

Thanks, Todd

Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug » November 6th, 2020, 4:02 pm

May I take the role of the Captain?

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » November 10th, 2020, 11:22 am

Hello Todd, I have recorded the narration for Act 2 as a trial run. Let me know if I am doing something glaringly wrong. The file passed the checker test.

Tchaikovsky

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/purgatoryofstpatrick_narrator_act2_128kb.mp3

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » November 10th, 2020, 12:10 pm

Thank you. Our wonderful DPL Sonia (Kitty) will check it for you.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 11th, 2020, 3:42 am

Tchaikovsky wrote:
November 10th, 2020, 11:22 am
Hello Todd, I have recorded the narration for Act 2 as a trial run. Let me know if I am doing something glaringly wrong. The file passed the checker test.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/purgatoryofstpatrick_narrator_act2_128kb.mp3
thank you, Tchaikovsky, for this fast turn-around. And it was good to wait for feedback before tackling the other acts ;) I do have indeed a few notes for you to correct. Most of them are cuts, so don't worry that the list looks so long, it's actually not that difficult to edit.

A few "rules" on how to correctly read the stage directions are:

1. if the directions stand at the beginning of a speech, you include the name, if in the middle or at the end, you don't include the name. Here you sometimes forgot to include the name

2. if there are no directions at all, you don't have to say the name at all. Sometimes here you added the names, sometimes you didn't. You can make a lot of cuts for the names that don't need to be included.

Other than those two points, your reading was very clear and agreeable to listen to. :thumbs:

Best to start at the end of the notes when you edit, because then the cuts won't affect the time stamps I am giving you and you don't have to search around for the right spot. ;)

Here is what needs doing:

> at 0:01: please dont forget to add your voice credit: "Stage directions, read by Tchaikovksy"

> at 1:16: "Scene IV" – instead of the scene, you say "The King". You can replace the one by the other.

> at 2:13: "Captain" – can be cut here

> between 2:29 and 2:30: – there is an audible loud click which could be cut to make the file cleaner to listen to

> at 2:40: "Polonia" – can be cut

> at 3:05: "Lucy, within" – here the name needs to be added, as the directions are at the beginning of the speech
> at 3:07: "Paul, within" – same here
> at 3:10: "Lucy, within" – same here
> at 3:13: "Paul, within" – same here
> at 3:15: "Paul, within" – same here
> at 3:21: "Lucy, within" – same here
> at 3:23: "Paul, within" – same here
> at 3:30: "Luis, aside" – same here

> at 3:45: "The King Egerius" – you make a long pause here, it sounds as if the king and Egerius were two different people, maybe you could re-read this part to make it clearer

> at 3:53: "Lesbia" – can be cut
> at 4:09: "Philip" – can be cut

> at 4:13: "Patrick, within" – name needs to be added
> at 4:22: "Patrick, aside" – name needs to be added

> at about 4:24: missed line: "He extends his hands over the dead body of Polonia"

> at 4:38: "Philip" – can be cut
> at 5:33: "King" – can get cut
> at 5:47: "King" – can get cut

thank you.

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » November 11th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Well, Lucy, I have given you much time to yourself, but finally decided that I should join you here in the MW.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 12th, 2020, 2:24 am

ToddHW wrote:
November 11th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Well, Lucy, I have given you much time to yourself, but finally decided that I should join you here in the MW.
I wasn't alone in the MW ;) but thanks for joining (I guess).

And right off a complaint: hearing you sound so enthusiastic when saying "Kill Lucy ? Yes !" hurts my feelings. :lol:

Other than that, Paul is brilliantly acted. You couldn't wait to get out of my clutches, it seems. Well he did sound a bit hen-pecked in the dialogues :mrgreen: so it's understandable. Loved the performance ! And totally PL ok.

Thanks

Sonia

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » November 13th, 2020, 8:59 am

I have recorded the stage directions for Act Two again. I ran the new file through checker and it comes up with a volume level of about 85db. Audacity won't permit me to raise the volume unless I allow for clipping. Should I upload as is or go ahead and try raise the volume before I upload the new file?

Tcahikovsky

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » November 13th, 2020, 11:49 am

That level should be good for Stage Directions. I usually make them 2 dB quieter than the voice parts.

Thanks, Todd

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » November 13th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Here is the revised version of Act Two. I will tackle Act Three tomorrow.

Tchaikovsky

Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug » November 13th, 2020, 4:37 pm

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 16th, 2020, 5:58 am

Tchaikovsky wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 8:59 am
I have recorded the stage directions for Act Two again. I ran the new file through checker and it comes up with a volume level of about 85db.
it's 85.8 dB, Todd can amplify later one if he needs it. No worries about that.

But did I understand you correctly that you re-recorded it all from scratch ? :? Because you didn't have to do that, that's why I meticulously pointed out all the exact time-stamps, so you only had to cut or insert at those places.

The reason why editing is much preferred over re-recording is the time-consuming process of re-recording and re-listening to it all from scratch. It's more work, both for the reader and the prooflistener. Also, chances are high in the new recording may be other mistakes ;) so with editing, this risk is lessened.

In any case, I relistened to it all again and this time it was nearly perfect. :thumbs: I only found one small edit to make:

> at 1:32: missed line "Exeunt" – instead you have here "Captain" which can be cut

thank you !

Sonia