OPEN[PLAY]Purgatory of St. Patrick by Calderón - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 30th, 2020, 12:24 am

Tchaikovsky wrote:
October 29th, 2020, 3:38 pm
Thanks For the reply. I think I will aim for the Stage Directions.
hello as well, and looking forward to your sections :) Todd already gave you all the necessary details on how to read the stage directions, but I also would like to add that before you start recording, we strongly advice to complete a one-minute-test first. This is to check that your technical settings are all up to LV standard.
You can read all about it here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Please post the test in the Listeners Wanted forum: viewforum.php?f=21 and someone will check it and give you feedback or advice if needed.

As soon as the test is ok'ed, please post the results back here, and we can assign you the sections officially. For that we would need to open a personal reader page for you, so please also tell us which reader name you want to go by. Can be the same as the forum name or your real name, or whatever.

Good luck with the test !

Sonia

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » October 30th, 2020, 5:10 am

Thanks very much. This is all helpful. I had a preliminary look through the text. There are quite a few translator's footnotes sprinkled throughout such as this example:

[footnote] *The Dream of Egerius, as given by Calderon, agrees
substantially with Jocelin's description, and differs only in one

I presume that I am not to record these.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 30th, 2020, 5:14 am

You are correct. We are not recording the footnotes. We do give a link to the text on our catalog page when we release the completed play so that anyone interested enough can go look at it.

The "Good Luck with the Test!" above is written partly in jest - again, the test is not an audition, but an equipment check.

Thanks, Todd

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » October 30th, 2020, 5:15 am

I am waiting to get my microphone back from a friend who I loaned it to. I should be able to post my test recording by the end of next week.

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » November 1st, 2020, 11:41 am

Todd, I have been looking through the stage directions. I have a couple of questions. Do I read the word "Aside" every time it appears?

also When a new scene begins I should be reading the new scene number. Am I supposed to read the names of the characters who start out the scene? for example

SCENE VII.

LEOGAIRE, an Old Peasant, and PATRICK.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » November 1st, 2020, 12:32 pm

Tchaikovsky wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 11:41 am
Todd, I have been looking through the stage directions. I have a couple of questions. Do I read the word "Aside" every time it appears?

also When a new scene begins I should be reading the new scene number. Am I supposed to read the names of the characters who start out the scene? for example

SCENE VII.

LEOGAIRE, an Old Peasant, and PATRICK.
Yes, you read "aside" where it shows up.

However, there can be an additional complexity: often the word "aside" FOLLOWS what is the aside. We want to have the "aside" before the words spoken so as not to confuse our listeners.

That can mean that you have to speak the character's name first if the aside would be at the beginning of a line; otherwise we might not know who is speaking, getting confused with the previous character since an aside might be reduced volume.

Example: a script line that says "John: blah blah blah read by the person reading John's lines [aside]" should be read as "John, aside:" blah blah blah read by the person reading John's lines. You speak the underlined "John, aside:"

If, on the other hand, the script has "John: Speaking Some Words At Normal Volume - now speaking at reduced volume for an aside [aside]" would be read as "John:" Speaking Some Words At Normal Volume ["aside"] now speaking at reduced volume for an aside. In this case the word "aside" does not require that you read "John" in front of it.

Please do read the Scene number (say "Scene 7" in your example). ALSO read the names of the characters that start out the scene so our listeners know who is onstage.

Thanks, Todd

silverquill

Post by silverquill » November 2nd, 2020, 10:07 pm

Behold the King!
I'm not sure I got him right; he's a gnarly sort of king.

There was place in Act I at about 5:40 where it wasn't entirely clear what was a stage direction and what was dialog. If I didn't get it right, let me know. (Now, why did I say that last part? Of course you will let me know! :lol: )

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/purgatoryofstpatrick_king_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/purgatoryofstpatrick_king_2_128kb.mp3
~ Larry

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 3rd, 2020, 8:36 am

silverquill wrote:
November 2nd, 2020, 10:07 pm
There was place in Act I at about 5:40 where it wasn't entirely clear what was a stage direction and what was dialog. If I didn't get it right, let me know. (Now, why did I say that last part? Of course you will let me know! :lol: )
of course I will, you know me :mrgreen: and you are right, these lines were indeed part of your speech ;) (more on that later)

Well first of all, I loved the king's speeches, and in my opinion his untimely death was a bit gruesome :? but the play is about Patrick...so the King has to be the loser, sorry about that. Excellently acted though, Larry ! Loved it. Especially this malicious chuckle when you mentioned the shrinking loins, or was that only me imagining things ? :lol:

Act 2 is straight PL ok. But I have some notes for Act 1:

> at about 0:06: you managed to miss your very first line :mrgreen: : "Here let me die. Away!"

> at 2:51: stumble and repeat: "Nor as I gazed below" - you can cut "now"

> at 3:31: "and words be said unworthy of the deference" - you say "defense"

> at 5:40: missed lines (as you feared ;) ) : "The two actions signifying how the heavier scale descendeth."
I checked in the original, these are indeed spoken lines, not part of the stage directions, see here: https://archive.org/details/dramasca00cald/page/262/mode/2up
Stage directions are written in italics and these two lines are not, that's what alerted me and of course then I need to get to the bottom of the problem :lol: my inner detective was tickled. Another clue was the old-fashioned ending "descendeth", while the stage directions are plain modern English.

The rest is perfect ! Thanks

Sonia

silverquill

Post by silverquill » November 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm

Kitty wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 8:36 am

Act 2 is straight PL ok. But I have some notes for Act 1:

> at about 0:06: you managed to miss your very first line :mrgreen: : "Here let me die. Away!"

> at 2:51: stumble and repeat: "Nor as I gazed below" - you can cut "now"

> at 3:31: "and words be said unworthy of the deference" - you say "defense"

> at 5:40: missed lines (as you feared ;) ) : "The two actions signifying how the heavier scale descendeth."
I checked in the original, these are indeed spoken lines, not part of the stage directions, see here: https://archive.org/details/dramasca00cald/page/262/mode/2up
Stage directions are written in italics and these two lines are not, that's what alerted me and of course then I need to get to the bottom of the problem :lol: my inner detective was tickled. Another clue was the old-fashioned ending "descendeth", while the stage directions are plain modern English.

The rest is perfect ! Thanks

Sonia
Ah! That makes it perfectly clear. I should have gone with my first instinct because I had recorded it that way and cut it out. Anyway, it was easy to put back in, and fixed the little glitches and added the missing line.

Thanks again for your perceptive PL skills! :)

Oh, the link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/purgatoryofstpatrick_king_1_128kb.mp3
~ Larry

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 4th, 2020, 8:28 am

silverquill wrote:
November 3rd, 2020, 9:04 pm
Ah! That makes it perfectly clear. I should have gone with my first instinct because I had recorded it that way and cut it out. Anyway, it was easy to put back in, and fixed the little glitches and added the missing line.
perfect additions, thanks, Larry. Now all PL ok :)

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » November 4th, 2020, 8:38 am

Victor had a slightly vindictive streak, I must say (interesting that he had a name) :lol: ah and so he warned Patrick of the doings at this cave. Quite mean of the guy to let the king enter there. :evil: Very old-testamentarian, and I always thought Patrick more of a mild and meek bloke.

In any case, you're a perfect good angel :mrgreen: great job, Devorah, thanks ! All PL ok.

Sonia

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » November 4th, 2020, 10:10 am

Hello Todd,
here is my test recording.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/test_tchaikovsky.mp3