FULL[PLAY]Civilian Clothes by Buchanan - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » September 29th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Thank you and welcome. Some hints for people new to plays posted up above.

And now we are full.

Thanks, Todd

Kathimariewalsheck

Post by Kathimariewalsheck » September 29th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Thanks bunches. That role is okay also. :)

Kathi (Maid)

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » September 30th, 2020, 2:02 am

davydave wrote:Here is my first part of Rutherfords role in Act 1, Total time 1:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_jackrutheford_5_128kb.mp3

And here's Act 2, Rutheford- hope They dig it-- Total time 1:45
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_jackrutheford_6_128kb.mp3
Hey Dave, and thanks for this role. Excellently played, you convey quite well that Rutherford isn't the sharpest knife around, but a good sport when the game is up. :lol:

You missed quite a few lines, which are marked "Others" or "All". They are easy to miss if you only look for the ones marked with your stage character ;) so I'll note them down here, along with the pages where they will be found, so you have an easier reference.

Another very important suggestion: please be careful with the pauses between your separate quotes, sometimes you barely leave one second of silence. :? It's extremely helpful for our editor in chief, who has to copy and paste all the separate lines into one masterfile, if there are at least 2 seconds of silence, or even three, between each quote. It's ok for this time, but maybe consider it for your next roles ;) our long-suffering editor will be grateful to you.

> as for the file-naming convention in stage plays: the number to include in the name should be the act-number, not the section number in the MW. As you can see, we are moving them around quite a bit here, so these numbers will never stay the same till the end of the project.

PL notes for Act 1:

> for the voice credit, please always include the entire description as in the MW: here "Jack Rutherford, Late Lieutenant, National Army, read by..."

> at about 0:46: (p. 18) missed "The Men" line: "Thanks, splendid – I'll come – I'll be here all night." I suspect each of the three men only says one of these sentences, but best read them all, then Todd can later choose who says what and merge them as best as possible.

> at 1:16: "end of act 1" – you can cut this out, this will be spoken by the narrator

PL notes for Act 2:

> at about 0:16: (p. 67) missed line: "All right, Nora."

> at about 0:51: (p. 74, 75, 78 and 81) nine missed "Others" and "All" lines:
"Yes, yes, make it progressive."
"Yes, yes—"
"Pleasant day—have you ever known such weather as we are having this winter ? Yes, indeed, I think they should let the soldiers out sooner. Oh, well, you know, Baker, I'm a Bolshevik myself."
"Hear—hear—"
"Sh—please."
"Sh—"
"Sh !"
"Go on, Mr. Hart !"
"Oh !"

> at 1:06: (p. 92) "Damn that butler !" – you say "confound", this may be optional, but I think the stronger curse here would fit Rutherford's mood much better at this point LOL

> at about 1:14: (p. 93) missed ALL line: "Money, what money ?"

> at 1:38: again "End of act 2" can be cut, as it's the narrator's part

thanks

Sonia

davydave

Post by davydave » September 30th, 2020, 10:38 am

Ok, I'll have to come back and visit this thread later, Sonia as I have an audiobook project I must begin tomorrow.
Thanks, Dave

algarner

Post by algarner » September 30th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Here's Bessie "Belle" Henderson's part:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_bessiehenderson_2_128kb.mp3

File duration: 1:48
-- Anamika

Kathimariewalsheck

Post by Kathimariewalsheck » October 1st, 2020, 4:34 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilanclothes_maid_at_hotel_3_128kb.mp3 18 seconds

Hi Todd,
I finished my recording. (It is my very first recording on Librivox! I am glad it was a short one. Got me to have a good experience in cleaning up the record on audacity and getting it just right to upload to you).

Hope I did well.

I am awaiting comments for any fixing that needs to be taken.

Thanks,
Kathi

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 1st, 2020, 6:06 am

algarner wrote:
September 30th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Here's Bessie "Belle" Henderson's part:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_bessiehenderson_2_128kb.mp3
thank you, Anamika, this is a lovely portrayal of Bessie. :9: She sounds young, fresh and very excited. Just like one could picture such a Southern Belle at a dinner party. :thumbs: And I was so happy that you didn't miss any of the ALL lines 8-) Actually you even included the "Speak up" part, which the narrator probably will do, but no need to snip it out of the recording.

PL ok. Thank you so much and I hope to hear you in other plays soon. :D

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 1st, 2020, 6:11 am

Kathimariewalsheck wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 4:34 am
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilanclothes_maid_at_hotel_3_128kb.mp3 18 seconds
I finished my recording. (It is my very first recording on Librivox! I am glad it was a short one. Got me to have a good experience in cleaning up the record on audacity and getting it just right to upload to you).

Hope I did well.

I am awaiting comments for any fixing that needs to be taken.
and hello Kathi and also thank you for your recording. You play the maid perfectly as well, I am always sad that these roles are so small, but also small roles can be memorable. 8-) All your lines are in and perfectly read/acted out. PL ok.

Your volume however is quite below under our accepted limits (barely 80 dB, we need 86-92 dB). But no need to reupload this time, Todd can adjust the volume later on in the editing phase, I will make a note in the MW for him. In "normal" projects (poetry or prose) you would be asked to amplify with 10 dB and resubmit your file. Do you have the Checker program ? You can check your finished mp3 file before uploading, it will tell you how many dB you have, so you'll know by how much you need to amplify. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker

I hope you liked the recording/acting out, so that we can hear you in many more plays to come :9:

Sonia

Kathimariewalsheck

Post by Kathimariewalsheck » October 1st, 2020, 7:26 am

I had a great time recording this. Thanks so much for the critique. (It is memorable, because it is my very first time I recorded anything for Librivox and I am glad it was for this play).

Thank you also for the checker link. I did not have it and will be sure to use it on future projects.

Kind Regards,
Kathi

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 3rd, 2020, 9:16 am

Sonia,

The General awaits importantly and impatiently in the MW for your kind PL.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 5th, 2020, 1:50 am

ToddHW wrote:
October 3rd, 2020, 9:16 am
The General awaits importantly and impatiently in the MW for your kind PL.
tut, tut, tut, I regret to say the General missed two lines (the very first one, no less !). Now how's that for military efficiency ? :roll:

Apart from that, it's excellently acted out, really enjoyed the pompousness, even in the lengthy war tales. And the highlight in the first act really was your heartfelt "DAMN !" when Rutherford showed up :lol: Now that was genuine emotion ! I felt for him then, knowing his rivals were multiplying.

Two small additions, and then we're ok :)

Act 1:

> at about 0:07: (p. 10) missed line: "For me, Mr. Arkwright ?"

Act 2:

> at 4:03: (p. 82) missed line: "He's over there."

Thanks

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » October 5th, 2020, 4:37 am

Well, if they wanted me to say that first line, they should have introduced me first before it instead of after I spoke. Act 1 reloaded for Spot PL.

But as for the supposedly missing Act 2 line, I have cleaned my bifocals twenty times and still can't find the D___ thing anywhere on page 82. Even checked other page download formats for it. You have defeated me.

Thanks, General Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » October 5th, 2020, 4:44 am

ToddHW wrote:
October 5th, 2020, 4:37 am
But as for the supposedly missing Act 2 line, I have cleaned my bifocals twenty times and still can't find the D___ thing anywhere on page 82.
https://archive.org/details/civilianclothesc00buch/page/82/mode/2up
it's the 4 last words of the second line on page 82. He meant to say, they came to late to save him, and he lies buried there, so I guess the sentence was important.

Sonia