FULL[PLAY]Civilian Clothes by Buchanan - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25143
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 7th, 2020, 5:11 am

Mooninya wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 7:14 pm
Hi guys, here is my clip for bell boy in act 3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_bell_hop_3_128kb.mp3
thank you, Mooninya, was this your first drama experience ? A nice job you did for the cheeky boy. :thumbs: Well done, but not finished yet, there are a few lines you have to add to your performance:

> right at the beginning, you forgot to give us your voice credit. Please add: "Bell Hop, Boy, read by Mooninya" (or whatever you want your reader name to be)

> at the end, you forgot two lines: (p. 111) "Yes, ma'am." and "Yes'm, I'll tell your husband, he's registering now."

Also, for future plays, please remember to leave enough space between your quotes, at least 2 seconds between every "chunk", this will make it easier for the editor to copy and paste the parts into a masterfile. No need to change it this time, mostly you have enough space, but there were a few were it's less than one second, which is not so comfortable to fiddle with.

Also careful with your volume, this one is a bit over 92 dB. No clipping as far as I can tell, but 2 dB less wouldn't hurt.

Thank you

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25143
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 7th, 2020, 5:13 am

Kalamareader wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 8:39 pm
Boy this one sure filled in a hurry! Busy with my Solo and almost missed this. May
I please have McGinnis Sr.?
you may !!! I think it will be a brilliant part for you. Who wouldn't want to be the best cobbler in Racine ? :mrgreen: Go for it, Wayne ! I think this guy is one of the most likable persons in this play.
P.S. It HAS to be Sm-eye-th!! Sonia, amazing. (I expected anything less?)
maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the negligee :lol:

but thanks for the praise (I guess....)

Sonia

Kalamareader
Posts: 688
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 6:31 pm
Location: Kalama, WA

Post by Kalamareader » September 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Sonia,

OK, here is my attempt at McGinnis, Sr.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_mcginnissr_3_128kb.mp3

Time 5:32

I hope this passes muster.

Wayne
Wayne
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? ~George Eliot


adrianstephens
Posts: 1385
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » September 8th, 2020, 1:35 am

Here is Stage Directions, Act 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3 @ 42:50
I have recorded alternate start/end for a single split.

There are a number of stage directions that I didn't know. I read them as written:

10:59 Unknown: R E
11:22 Unknown: L I E
13:11 Unknown: L I E
14:46 Unknown: R I E
14:51 Unknown: R I E
22:43 unknown: L C L
26:03 unknown: L I E
28:01 unknown instruction: bus ad lit
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25143
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 8th, 2020, 1:50 am

Kalamareader wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm
OK, here is my attempt at McGinnis, Sr.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_mcginnissr_3_128kb.mp3
I hope this passes muster.
oh how endearing :9: he sounds like a gentle, bumbling salt-of-the-earth guy. I do suspect he is putting it on a bit to impress Florence :lol: What regional accent is that ? It sounds great. Awfully well done, Wayne. And luckily for our audience, his role is much bigger than you expected ;) You forgot four pages worth of performance at the beginning of the act, where he already shows up to talk to his son and Harte.

> at about 0:05: (p. 103-106) : starting with "Sam ! My boy !" at p. 103 and ending with "Come, son, come along to my room and we'll talk this all over." p. 106.

thank you !!! looking forward to the rest.

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25143
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 8th, 2020, 1:53 am

adrianstephens wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 1:35 am
There are a number of stage directions that I didn't know. I read them as written:
I think they mean Right Entry / Left intermediary entry / Lower center left - something along those lines. But very often we don't need to be that precise. I'll note them down when I think they're important. "Bus ad lit" I have no idea though. :hmm:

Another huge act...will PL this afternoon probably. Stay tuned. Thanks :)

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25143
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 8th, 2020, 5:30 am

adrianstephens wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 1:35 am
Here is Stage Directions, Act 2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3 @ 42:50
I have recorded alternate start/end for a single split.
I think they may come in handy. And it's an easy split at the 2nd scene this time.

Ok, I noted down the abbreviations that you didn't know and gave you suggestions. I think it would be best either to leave them out completely or to use the correct term, but the abbreviations are a bit confusing.

Since I was at it, I noted them all down. Todd may not need them all, but it doesn't hurt to include them so he has the choice.

> at 10:59: (p. 66) "Nora enters, right entrance"

> at 11:17: (p. 67) "L.I.E. with cocktails" – I think it may be "left intermediate exit (or entrance, whatever is appropriate)", I got the idea since the stage seems to be subdivided with added walls to create the effect of two rooms. So he doesn't go off stage but into another room but still to be seen on stage

> at 12:00: (p. 67) "McGinnis enters LIE and starts across to RE" – also here "left intermediate entrance" and "right exit" (I guess at that point he would be off stage)

> at 12:26: (p. 68) "McGinnis, pause" – need to include the name

> at 13:10: (p. 69) "General exits LIE" - same as above

> at 14:45: (p. 71) "Nora enters RIE" – same as above

> at 14:50: (p. 71) "Nora exits RIE" - same as above

> at 19:06: (p. 74) "Mrs Lanham, at the foot of the table nearest the front" – you say "door"

> at 22:41: (p. 79) "McGinnis with bottle stand LCL above him" – "lower centre left" – but here I am unsure, though it would sound good

> at 26:02: (p. 83) "who enters LIE" - same as above

> at 28:01: (p. 85) "bus ad lit" – I checked online and found it means "business ad libitum" – so improvising some gestures and behaviour appropriate to the scene

> at 29:34: (p. 87) "McGinnis, startled" – name needs to be included

> at 31:19: (p. 88) "Flo astounded" – you can cut out "Flo" once

> at 39:28-39:31: (p. 95) "between "unwilling admiration" and "looks at the cross in his hand" – it's the same quote, so you can cut out the lengthy pause

thanks, a lot of work in this one again. Sorry for the many notes :(

Sonia

adrianstephens
Posts: 1385
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » September 8th, 2020, 10:18 am

Kitty wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 5:30 am

Ok, I noted down the abbreviations that you didn't know and gave you suggestions. I think it would be best either to leave them out completely or to use the correct term, but the abbreviations are a bit confusing.

Since I was at it, I noted them all down. Todd may not need them all, but it doesn't hurt to include them so he has the choice.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3
Thank you, Sonia. Please don't apologize for doing your job! It should be I apologizing for giving you so much work to do.
Anyhow, I made the corrections at the noted new times.

same > at 10:59: (p. 66) "Nora enters, right entrance"

11:18 > at 11:17: (p. 67) "L.I.E. with cocktails" – I think it may be "left intermediate exit (or entrance, whatever is appropriate)", I got the idea since the stage seems to be subdivided with added walls to create the effect of two rooms. So he doesn't go off stage but into another room but still to be seen on stage

11:58 > at 12:00: (p. 67) "McGinnis enters LIE and starts across to RE" – also here "left intermediate entrance" and "right exit" (I guess at that point he would be off stage)

12:24 > at 12:26: (p. 68) "McGinnis, pause" – need to include the name

13:08 > at 13:10: (p. 69) "General exits LIE" - same as above

same > at 14:45: (p. 71) "Nora enters RIE" – same as above

14:51 > at 14:50: (p. 71) "Nora exits RIE" - same as above

19:07 > at 19:06: (p. 74) "Mrs Lanham, at the foot of the table nearest the front" – you say "door"

22:43 > at 22:41: (p. 79) "McGinnis with bottle stand LCL above him" – "lower centre left" – but here I am unsure, though it would sound good

26:03 > at 26:02: (p. 83) "who enters LIE" - same as above

28:04 > at 28:01: (p. 85) "bus ad lit" – I checked online and found it means "business ad libitum" – so improvising some gestures and behaviour appropriate to the scene

29:38 > at 29:34: (p. 87) "McGinnis, startled" – name needs to be included

31:22 > at 31:19: (p. 88) "Flo astounded" – you can cut out "Flo" once

39:31 > at 39:28-39:31: (p. 95) "between "unwilling admiration" and "looks at the cross in his hand" – it's the same quote, so you can cut out the lengthy pause
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

adrianstephens
Posts: 1385
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » September 9th, 2020, 1:38 am

Here's stage directions, Act 3 @ 29:01
Alternative start and ends included, although this act is half the length of the first one.

One unknown instruction at 5:29 "Turns to Hart C. O."
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_stagedirections_3_128kb.mp3
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25143
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 9th, 2020, 3:44 am

adrianstephens wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 10:18 am
I made the corrections at the noted new times.
and thank you again for the exact new timestamps :9: Act 2 now PL ok. Will try to get to act 3 later today still

Thank you, Adrian ! huge work !

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25143
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 9th, 2020, 4:54 am

adrianstephens wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 1:38 am
Here's stage directions, Act 3 @ 29:01
Alternative start and ends included, although this act is half the length of the first one.
yes I think with only 29 minutes, there will be no need of cutting. But it doesn't hurt to include them.

I have a few notes only this time, on the whole it was excellently narrated :thumbs:

> at 1:26: (p. 102) "Hart, rises" – name needs to be included

> at 2:09: (p. 103) "McGinnis, at arch right" – name needs to be included, also you could leave a bit more silence as it's a new stage direction, not related to the previous one

> at 4:32: (p. 105) "McGinnis Jr, bitterly" – I think it makes more sense to put this at the beginning of the speech, and then we also need the name. Though I am guessing it will be cut in the end, if the reader sounds bitter enough LOL still, just in case...

> at 5:29: (p. 106) "turns to Hart, CO" – ok here I am stumped as well :lol: C is probably center, but O – no idea. :| In this case I would opt to leave the abbreviation out altogether, because CO is too confusing. If we don't understand what it means, listeners probably won't either

> at 5:52: (p. 106) "Hart, ad libitum" – maybe also extend this abbreviation in full, just like in the last act ?

> at 9:12: (p. 108) "McGinnis enter and exits left upper" – repeated later, can be cut once

the remaining 20 minutes were flawless :clap: great job !

Sonia

adrianstephens
Posts: 1385
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » September 9th, 2020, 6:15 am

Kitty wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 4:54 am
I have a few notes only this time, on the whole it was excellently narrated :thumbs:

> at 1:26: (p. 102) "Hart, rises" – name needs to be included

> at 2:09: (p. 103) "McGinnis, at arch right" – name needs to be included, also you could leave a bit more silence as it's a new stage direction, not related to the previous one

> at 4:32: (p. 105) "McGinnis Jr, bitterly" – I think it makes more sense to put this at the beginning of the speech, and then we also need the name. Though I am guessing it will be cut in the end, if the reader sounds bitter enough LOL still, just in case...

> at 5:29: (p. 106) "turns to Hart, CO" – ok here I am stumped as well :lol: C is probably center, but O – no idea. :| In this case I would opt to leave the abbreviation out altogether, because CO is too confusing. If we don't understand what it means, listeners probably won't either

> at 5:52: (p. 106) "Hart, ad libitum" – maybe also extend this abbreviation in full, just like in the last act ?

> at 9:12: (p. 108) "McGinnis enter and exits left upper" – repeated later, can be cut once
Hello Sonia,
I've made changes at the indicated locations: 1:26, 2:09, 4:33, 5:33, 5:54, 9:14.
Hopfully you won't hear the background construction noise. I had to swallow the microphone and use a lot of post-processing.

Best,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

adrianstephens
Posts: 1385
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » September 9th, 2020, 6:15 am

Kitty wrote:
September 9th, 2020, 4:54 am
I have a few notes only this time, on the whole it was excellently narrated :thumbs:

> at 1:26: (p. 102) "Hart, rises" – name needs to be included

> at 2:09: (p. 103) "McGinnis, at arch right" – name needs to be included, also you could leave a bit more silence as it's a new stage direction, not related to the previous one

> at 4:32: (p. 105) "McGinnis Jr, bitterly" – I think it makes more sense to put this at the beginning of the speech, and then we also need the name. Though I am guessing it will be cut in the end, if the reader sounds bitter enough LOL still, just in case...

> at 5:29: (p. 106) "turns to Hart, CO" – ok here I am stumped as well :lol: C is probably center, but O – no idea. :| In this case I would opt to leave the abbreviation out altogether, because CO is too confusing. If we don't understand what it means, listeners probably won't either

> at 5:52: (p. 106) "Hart, ad libitum" – maybe also extend this abbreviation in full, just like in the last act ?

> at 9:12: (p. 108) "McGinnis enter and exits left upper" – repeated later, can be cut once
Hello Sonia,
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_stagedirections_3_128kb.mp3
I've made changes at the indicated locations: 1:26, 2:09, 4:33, 5:33, 5:54, 9:14.
Hopfully you won't hear the background construction noise. I had to swallow the microphone and use a lot of post-processing.

Best,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM


Post Reply