COMPLETE[PLAY]Civilian Clothes by Buchanan - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adrianstephens wrote: September 9th, 2020, 6:15 amI had to swallow the microphone
that must have hurt :| careful with the indigestion.

But it worked, construction noises not noticeable and all PL ok now. Thank you so much for the huge work in this project.

Sonia
adrianstephens

Post by adrianstephens »

Kitty wrote: September 9th, 2020, 6:30 am
adrianstephens wrote: September 9th, 2020, 6:15 amI had to swallow the microphone
that must have hurt :| careful with the indigestion.

But it worked, construction noises not noticeable and all PL ok now. Thank you so much for the huge work in this project.

Sonia
You are welcome, Sonia. Now to record something with a bit more scope for interpretation.
Thanks,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Sonia,

Well here it is. When I first read the part though, I read the first part, then when I got around to recording it, I forgot all about the first part. Too many things going on at the same time.

It really took a lot of work to make the first part close to the second part when they are read days apart. I hope they sound close enough. There is some time between the two sections that it just might work. After the time it took me to do the 'merging', it probably would have been faster to just rerecord the whole thing. :?

But anyway: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_mcginnissr_3_128kb.mp3

Time: 8:33

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalamareader wrote: September 10th, 2020, 8:32 pmIt really took a lot of work to make the first part close to the second part when they are read days apart. I hope they sound close enough. There is some time between the two sections that it just might work. After the time it took me to do the 'merging', it probably would have been faster to just rerecord the whole thing. :?
no trust me, editing rarely is more work than re-recording it all ;) especially because the second version (speaking of drama now) is not necessarly better than the first, since usually you gave it your all in the first version already, and doing something twice is always a drag and it might show in the performance. Also there is the added risk of making other errors in the second version. So editing is much safer.

And rest assured, you stayed excellently in character for the nice old bloke :thumbs: loved the first part just as much as the second. And it's now totally PL ok.

Thank you so much !

Sonia
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

I know what you mean. I made some similar comments to my wife after I finished the addition. I was pleased with the last half, and didn't want to mess it up. Also, as you mentioned, I have done a lot of 'narrating' and a few plays, and when there are two or three 'sessions', often the latter versions aren't quite as good as the first. It sometimes marvels me how professional actors can keep the character up for hundreds of performances. :shock:

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kalamareader wrote: September 11th, 2020, 9:02 amIt sometimes marvels me how professional actors can keep the character up for hundreds of performances. :shock:
I actually believe that they "become" this persona, if they play it for an entire season. Hard to get out of character, even after the show. So if you are playing a psychopath killer, that may be a problem for your friends and family :lol:

Sonia
Mooninya

Post by Mooninya »

Hi Todd, here is the renewed version of my audio clip.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_bell_hop_3_128kb.mp3
Sorry for being so late.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Mooninya wrote: September 14th, 2020, 1:08 amHi Todd, here is the renewed version of my audio clip.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_bell_hop_3_128kb.mp3
thank you, Mooninya, now all the lines and the voice credit are in. Actually now you added the intro disclaimer as well, which I didn't ask for in my PL notes ;) this is done by the narrator in a drama play, so no need for you to add that in future drama roles (unless you are the narrator, of course). You don't have to reupload this time though, Todd can easily ignore this bit later in assembling.

It's PL ok now :)

Sonia
davydave

Post by davydave »

Hello Todd-
Here is my first part of Rutherfords role in Act 1, Total time 1:23
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_jackrutheford_5_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Dave Currier
davydave

Post by davydave »

And here's Act 2, Rutheford- hope They dig it-- Total time 1:45
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilianclothes_jackrutheford_6_128kb.mp3
Dave
777okyo

Post by 777okyo »

Can I read for Nora please?

- Tokyo
Kathimariewalsheck

Post by Kathimariewalsheck »

Hi, I would like to claim to read/record the following please...

1 Nora, Maid, Act 1 Open
2 Nora, Maid, Act 2 Open
3 Maid at Hotel, Act 3 Open

Thanks,

Kathi
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

777okyo wrote: September 29th, 2020, 3:27 pm Can I read for Nora please?

- Tokyo
Thanks you.

Welcome to Librivox. I recommend that you take the 1 minute test so we can verify that your equipment produced files we can use before you start a longer recording.

Hope someone has given you the habit-forming addiction warning....

Some brief directions. The first posting in this (and every) project has the instructions on file names and uploading files and posting the uploader link in the forum to have the file Proof-Listened. These instructions are pretty standard throughout Librivox. Here is a short summary for the important special rules in drama:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Lillian Wendale, by the villian still pursued, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be - doesn't have to be the same as your forum name - for example, I drop the HW and just say "Read by Todd" )

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 5-10 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 5-10 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kathimariewalsheck wrote: September 29th, 2020, 5:53 pm Hi, I would like to claim to read/record the following please...

1 Nora, Maid, Act 1 Open
2 Nora, Maid, Act 2 Open
3 Maid at Hotel, Act 3 Open

Thanks,

Kathi
Unfortunately, 777okyo claimed Nora the Maid just above your posting. So I gave you the Maid at Hotel in Act 3 you requested.

Thanks, Todd
algarner

Post by algarner »

Could I claim Bessie Henderson? This would be my first attempt at a dramatic work, hope that's not an issue!
-- Anamika