[COMPLETE]Dramatic Selections from Henry Lawson's Short Stories-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

(DR) "Dramatic Selections from Henry Lawson's Short Stories", by Henry Lawson (1867 – 1922).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/dramatic-selections-from-short-stories-by-henry-lawson/

Dramatic Reading #1: "That Pretty Girl in the Army"
The Salvation Army is having a hard time of things in the rough Australian Outback town of Bourke.  That is, until Sister Hannah arrives...

"Somewhere in the early eighties they had banged the drum to Bourke,
Where the job of fighting Satan was white-hot and dusty work.
Oh, the Local Lass was withered in the heat that bakes and glares,
And we sent her food and firewood but took small heed of her prayers.
We were blasphemous and beery, we were free from Creed or Care,
Till they sent their prettiest Lassies—and they broke our centre there.
So that, moderately sober, we could stand to hear them sing—
And we’d chaff their Testifiers, and throw quids into the ring.
(Never less than bobs or “dollars”—sometimes quids into the ring.)"

Henry Lawson, "Booth's Drum"

(Summary by Son of the Exiles)
[*]Where do I find the text? Source text ): https://www.gutenberg.org/files/7065/7065-h/7065-h.htm#link2H_4_0002
Please read only from the colour-coded script below: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aF9ixOToDjbK7rf3jc1MYlJl6chp3JRk/view?usp=sharing
--> It may not be neccesary, but it can't hurt to mention, that the town's name "Bourke" is pronounced "Berk". <--

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dramatic Reading #2: "The Hairy Man"
It was the day after Australia's Anniversary Day and all the patriots wanted to do was nurse their hangovers out in the scrub of the isolated western spur of the Blue Mountains. But following close on the heels of their hair-of-the-dog comes The Hairy Man, Australia's own version of Bigfoot.

[*]Where do I find the text? Source text ): https://archive.org/details/trianglesoflifeo00lawsuoft/page/210/mode/2up
Please read only from the colour-coded script below: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12HTdukL-4gnrTO8ikGYVnPw-X7IwL5ko/view?usp=sharing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dramatic Reading #3: "Macquarie's Mate"
Even "the veriest wreck in the drink-fiend's clutch" won't stand idly by and hear his mate slagged off.

[*]Where do I find the text? Source text ): https://archive.org/details/whilebillyboils00lawsuoft/page/316/mode/2up
Please read only from the colour-coded script below: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xv1DBG5SJthMILre57pwIqY6-emMfT-eazxMKd-PZ4A/edit?usp=sharing

Dramatic Reading #4: "His Country -- After All"
"Breathes there a man with soul so dead..."
[*]Where do I find the text? Source text ): https://archive.org/details/whilebillyboils00lawsuoft/page/50/mode/2up
Please read only from the colour-coded script below: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B-b5FEBqLnm6Wdy4dsciCzsiXw7Nsym4e9qpMPZO8mU/edit?usp=sharing
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================

Genres for the project:

Keywords that describe the book: religion, romance, australia, salvation army, outback

============================================
    5. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    6. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: "That Pretty Girl in the Army, by Henry Lawson (1867 – 1922) . . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org."

At the end: End of "That Pretty Girl in the Army", by Henry Lawson.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    7. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      henrylawsondramreads_[role]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case).

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: mightyfelix
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on November 19th, 2020, 8:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Well here we go with another Australian Dramatic Reading of a Henry Lawson short story.

This one is about an encounter between the "Salvoes" (The Salvation Army) and the denizens of the Outback Australian town of Bourke. It's something in the line of a "Guys and Dolls" set in the Outback wastes of the Far-West of my home state of New South Wales, only it predates that play/movie by about a half-century.

I've recorded a narrator's file which is all ready to go after it's been PL-ed, and we have Devorah in the role of Sister Hannah and Tomas playing Jack Moonlight. There are a heap of roles for everyone, mostly rather blokey, so this will be a gender-neutral project. Several of our female readers already have proven their ability to put a male role over wonderfully ... how one in particular managed to go from sultry Southern belle in the one play to blokey Irish-Australian jobseeker in another is beyond me, but it's a joy to listen to ... so female readers are encouraged to get their "Inner Aussie Bloke" thing happening. Australian accent is not required ... it's mostly attitude anyway.

So here are the DR roles:

Narrator ... Son of the Exiles
Sister Hannah of the Salvation Army’s Bourke Mission ... mightyfelix
Jack Moonlight, Bushman and Shearers’ Rep ... Wilted Scribe
Billy Woods, Labourers’ Union secretary ... julianpratley
Jake Boreham, sentimental shearer from New Zealand, reads Bret Harte ... open
Reformed Drunkard ... Kalamareader
Bob Brothers - good-natured big shearer ... Algy Pug
Mitchell - Cynic ... this character has been compared to “The Wanderer” of the Exeter Book ... alanmapstone
Donald Macdonald ...open
One-Eyed Bogan (only one line, but needs the most dangerous and threatening snarl possible) ... lorda
Female Testifier ... open
Blunderer ... open
Black Testifier ... open
Heckler ... ToddHW
Last edited by SonOfTheExiles on August 7th, 2020, 8:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Chris
Can I read Mitchell? As soon as I saw a character who is a cynic I knew it was the role for me :mrgreen:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

alanmapstone wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 12:51 am Hi Chris
Can I read Mitchell? As soon as I saw a character who is a cynic I knew it was the role for me :mrgreen:
Thanks Alan, I'll sign you up!

And you'll be pleased to hear that you get the last word in this story. :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
linny

Post by linny »

Chris will you be PLing the parts and doing the editing on the final track?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

linny wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 6:43 am Chris will you be PLing the parts and doing the editing on the final track?
Hi linny,

I was planning to assemble the parts on the final track myself, but I am definitely in need of someone to PL everything.

Cheers,
Chris
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Jack Moonlight checking in. :mrgreen: This will be fun!
Tomas Peter
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Not mentioning whether or not we'll do a 1-act DR as a separate project, we can't use your text source:

Scanned, OCRed and HTMLized by Russell Tayler, Newcastle, Australia -
Dec 31, 2002
Original text from: The Prose Works of Henry Lawson, vol. 2
Home Entertainment Library, 1935

Setup, printed and bound in Australia by
Halstead Printing Company Ltd. Arnold Place, Sydney, 1935
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Not to worry, here is a Gutenberg source: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/7065/7065-h/7065-h.htm#link2H_4_0002

Say, Tricia, do you reckon your voice-characterisation repertoire might extend to voicing one of these Aussie blokes? The impersonation is quite easy. You just start with John Wayne and then, kinda, slacken his jaw a little. :lol:

Cheers,
Chris
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

I’d like to play Billy Woods
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I can MC this for you, Chris. I need to know how many sections you want, though.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

julianpratley wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 3:46 pm I’d like to play Billy Woods
Thanks, Julian, all signed up!

Chris
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

mightyfelix wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 4:32 pm I can MC this for you, Chris. I need to know how many sections you want, though.
Thanks, Devorah! Let’s see, 14 parts plus one assembly area would be the usual thing, I think? So... 15 sections then?

Chris
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Okay, I'll do the Heckler.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/prettygirlarmy_heckler_128kb.mp3

Great line - could not resist!

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 5:33 pm Okay, I'll do the Heckler.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/prettygirlarmy_heckler_128kb.mp3

Great line - could not resist!

Thanks, Todd
And Todd makes the 8-ball in the corner pocket!

Thank you,
Chris