COMPLETE[PLAY]One Act Play Collection 014 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

LydiaCW wrote: August 15th, 2020, 10:26 am Could I claim Martha from England's Easter?
Thank you for signing up, Lydia! With that role assigned, "England's Easter" is now full! :D
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

MW updated.

Thanks, Todd
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

May I read the stage directions for "The Bloomer Costume"?
Salvationist

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Kelly, how do you want the stage position abbreviations read? I notice that there is a glossary at the beginning of the play that explains many of them, but I am confused by the ones using the letter "H". For example, how should I read the following stage direction?: "(Enters from trap, L. H.)"

Also, how much of the front matter do you want me to read? Would the "Remarks", "Cast of Characters", and "Consequence of Wearing the Breeches" sections be sufficient, or should I read the "Costume", "Exits and Entrances", and "Relative Positions" sections as well?
Salvationist

wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Salvationist wrote: August 15th, 2020, 2:54 pm Kelly, how do you want the stage position abbreviations read? I notice that there is a glossary at the beginning of the play that explains many of them, but I am confused by the ones using the letter "H". For example, how should I read the following stage direction?: "(Enters from trap, L. H.)"

Also, how much of the front matter do you want me to read? Would the "Remarks", "Cast of Characters", and "Consequence of Wearing the Breeches" sections be sufficient, or should I read the "Costume", "Exits and Entrances", and "Relative Positions" sections as well?
"H" stands for "hand" in Victorian stage directions. Today, we would say "Stage Left" instead... Although Victorian stage directions are given from the director's point of view instead of the actor's; so this "stage left" is actually a "stage right."

I'd like to hear "Remarks," "Cast of Characters," "Costume," and "Consequences of Wearing the Breeches," please. I think that should set up our listeners nicely to hear this farce. :D

Thanks for volunteering to read this!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm interested in the role of the woman wearing the bloomer costume. :) But I think I see a discrepancy. In the Dramatis Personae, she is listed as Martha Bailey. But in the MW, we have Patty Bailey. I haven't read through the play yet, so I don't know... Does she use both names, or.... :?:
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

mightyfelix wrote: August 16th, 2020, 7:03 am I'm interested in the role of the woman wearing the bloomer costume. :) But I think I see a discrepancy. In the Dramatis Personae, she is listed as Martha Bailey. But in the MW, we have Patty Bailey. I haven't read through the play yet, so I don't know... Does she use both names, or.... :?:
This seems to be a printer's mistake in the Cast list, I think. In the script, she's called Patty throughout. Maybe it was changed from a prior production? Patty definitely isn't a nickname for Martha, is it?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Not that I know of. Although, now that I have had a chance to skim through it since my last post, I noticed that one of the other characters (the other young lady, I think it was) called her Martha at one point. :hmm:

Whatever her name is, I'm even more interested in playing her now after reading it! :D

EDIT: Oh yes, and the "Remarks" and "Costume" portions both called her Martha. Maybe Patty is a nickname for it after all. :lol:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: August 16th, 2020, 7:20 am EDIT: Oh yes, and the "Remarks" and "Costume" portions both called her Martha. Maybe Patty is a nickname for it after all. :lol:
for the curious, wikipedia has the following explanation:
In older usage, Patsy was also a nickname for Martha or Matilda, following a common nicknaming pattern of changing an M to a P (such as in Margaret → Meg/Meggy → Peg/Peggy; and Molly → Polly) and adding a feminine suffix
Sonia
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

wib66 wrote: August 16th, 2020, 4:05 am Here is Britannia from Englands Easter

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/englandseaster_britannia_logan_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Britannia is PL OK! Thanks again, Michele!
Salvationist

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Kitty wrote: August 16th, 2020, 8:07 am
mightyfelix wrote: August 16th, 2020, 7:20 am EDIT: Oh yes, and the "Remarks" and "Costume" portions both called her Martha. Maybe Patty is a nickname for it after all. :lol:
for the curious, wikipedia has the following explanation:
In older usage, Patsy was also a nickname for Martha or Matilda, following a common nicknaming pattern of changing an M to a P (such as in Margaret → Meg/Meggy → Peg/Peggy; and Molly → Polly) and adding a feminine suffix
Sonia
Thanks! I hadn't heard this one...
Tajbiha

Post by Tajbiha »

Hello!
Can I claim the part 18? Please let me know. Thank you! :D

Tajbihatoon Noor