Plays and other dramatic works
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 12th, 2020, 7:09 am

Ealswythe wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 2:27 pm
Here's Modesta, Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_modesta_1_128kb.mp3 3:55
thank you, Linda and great to have you back on our virtual stage :9: a worthy comeback with Modesta. Wow I loved the irate speech she does in the middle to give the boys hell :lol: and quite meeker with the hermit later ;)

I have a few corrections to note still here though:

> for the voice credit, could you please include the whole description, as in the MW: "Modesta, daughter to Donobert, read by..."

> at about 0:24: (p. 351) missed lines: "Necessity, it seems, ties your affections then, and at that rate I would unwillingly be thrust upon you; a wife is a dish soon cloys, sir."

> at about 0:49: (p. 352) missed lines: "There shall be place to neither, noble sir; I do beseech you, let this mild reply give answer to your suit: for here I vow, if ever I change my virgin name, by you it gains or loses."

> at 1:35: (p. 353) optional pronunciation: "if only speech distinguish us from beast" - I think "onely" is rather an old spelling of "only"

> at 3:03: (p. 356) "your prayers are the same orisons which I will number" - yours sounds more like "horizons" but I think she means the prayer (orison) here, again probably an old way of spelling it. This changes the meaning, so I would opt to correct it

thank you, looking forward to finding out more about Modesta's fate...

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 12th, 2020, 7:24 am

pschempf wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 5:49 pm
I give you the devil :evil: , Acts 3 and 5 -

There is a repeated phrase at 2:13 in Act 5. There is a parenthetical insertion in that line of an (as). I wasn't sure which way to go with it so I went both ways. You or Kitty can take a listen and choose the version you prefer.
yes that is fine, thank you Phil. I think it's best with the parenthesis included to complete the sentence. So far the other readers have included them as well. Todd will take the correct sentence in the editing phase.

Wow, the devil is creepily cool and almost soft-spoken, which of course makes him sound all the more dangerous. :? well done and acted, and as far as I can see, nothing missing. Straight PL ok, thanks !

Sonia

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin » August 12th, 2020, 10:33 am

Kitty wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 6:41 am
I have found a couple of missed lines here as well:

> at about 2:31: (p. 367) missed OMNES line: "Strange alteration !"
> at about 3:35: (p. 371) missed Omnes Brittains line: "Tis all as false as hell."

thanks !

Sonia
It would appear I have some trouble noticing Omnes lines. I looked a lot more closely for them in act V, so maybe for once I'm right in thinking there aren't any! :lol:

Donobert Act III (fixed), with a duration of 4:07: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_donobert_3_128kb.mp3
Donobert Act V, with a duration of 2:04: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_donobert_5_128kb.mp3

Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe » August 12th, 2020, 1:56 pm

Hi Sonia! Here are the added and corrected lines for Modesta, Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_modesta_1_128kb.mp3 4:26
:D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772

JBerkhouse

Post by JBerkhouse » August 12th, 2020, 5:28 pm

I have officially been approved to start recording! Is the role of Uter Pendragon still available?

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » August 12th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Thank you both.

Uter was being held for you; now formally assigned. Welcome!

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 13th, 2020, 5:38 am

VocalPenguin wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 10:33 am
It would appear I have some trouble noticing Omnes lines. I looked a lot more closely for them in act V, so maybe for once I'm right in thinking there aren't any! :lol:
haha, yes, looks like you succeeded this time ;) don't worry, these OMNES lines are always tricky, many people overlook them. It's a big challenge for me as DPL to find them all :mrgreen:

Donobert is now gloriously PL ok. Thank you so much, and congrats to your first finished role with our drama group. :clap: Many many more to come hopefully. There's so many plays on offer still, if you want to play something else than a grumpy old Britain knight, disappointed by his daughters for once. :lol:

see you around

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 13th, 2020, 5:43 am

Ealswythe wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Here are the added and corrected lines for Modesta, Act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_modesta_1_128kb.mp3 4:26
super, thank you Linda, now perfectly PL ok. :)

Sonia

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist » August 13th, 2020, 7:58 pm

May I read the stage directions?
Salvationist

Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug » August 14th, 2020, 3:41 pm

Last edited by Algy Pug on August 15th, 2020, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » August 15th, 2020, 4:46 am

thank you, Algy. Act 4 is in fact Act 5, but I see you uploaded with the correct number in Todd's folder. Gloster is a dutiful, sober lord, well done :thumbs: But you are not off the hook yet, because I found quite a few missed lines ;)

Act 1 is PL ok though.

Act 2:
> at about 0:10: (p. 358) four missed quotes on this page:
1. she was quickly wooed and won: not six days since arrived an enemy to sue for peace, and now crowned queen of Brittain; this is strange.
2. yes, and our general commanded home. Son Edwin, have you seen him since ?
3. Edol of Chester is a noble soldier.
4. OMNES line: Welcome to court, brave earl.

> at about 0:20: missed line: A blessing beyond hope, sir.

Act 3:
> at about 0:17: (p. 367) missed Omnes line: "strange alteration !"

> at about 0:21: (p. 371) missed Omnes Brittains line: "t'is all as false as hell."

Act 5:
> at about 0:10: (p. 381) missed line: "T'will be a good office in you, sir."

Note for Todd: in reading along, I noticed that the "spirits" on page 361 are identical with Armel and Plesgeth, I suppose they are the names of the spirits, according to the development of the scene. The magician is conjuring them up and calling them by those names. I would suggest to delete the "antick spirit" in Act 2 and the readers for Armel and Plesgeth should also say the Spirit line together. In Act 4 there must be another antick spirit though, probably a different one.

Sonia

Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug » August 15th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Algy Pug

My Librivox page