[COMPLETE] Aladdin, or, The Wonderful Lamp-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

czandra wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:38 am I went out on a limb here, and actually sang the Caravan song in a sort of stentorian voice! Didn't attempt the elves' dirge, though - too solemn. Will happily re-record if it's too much.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_secondcourtier_09_128kb.mp3

Cz
Thank you so much! Great job with these lines, you are a natural!

0:03 I'd prefer the voice credit to say "Second courtier," instead of "Another Courtier." I realize that that it how it's written in the script, but I've made some slight changes, just because this script is so very inconsistent. When in doubt, always match what's in the MW. :)
0:21 At the top of page 239, there is a line that is simply labeled "Courtier," without specifying which one. (See what I mean about inconsistencies? :roll:) I think it makes most sense for the second courtier to speak this line. Will you add it please?
0:26 I listened to this song, even though I knew I wouldn't be able to use it. And I so wish I could! I love it! But, I do need it to be spoken, as I said. And yes, layering voices can be a real challenge, but it's worth it! It's time-consuming, but there is a way to match the tempos of each voice to make them more or less line up.

The rest is fantastic! I especially love what you did with the dirge at the end. :9:
czandra

Post by czandra »

take 2 - https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_secondcourtier_09_128kb.mp3
4min 50s

you could use the song as outro to the whole thing, fading away.... ha!
Hope this is up to scratch.

Cz
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
Doug42

Post by Doug42 »

mightyfelix wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:28 am
Doug42 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 6:23 pm Here is section 12 - 'Sentinel' and 'Two Others' -
I tried to vary the voices a bit - it seemed to me that each of the 'two others' comes from different spirits.
Anyway, here it is - coming in at 8:40 long :
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladin_sentinal-two_others_05_128k.mp3

*** Doug F.
Thanks, Doug! This is a great help! There are a couple of spots to correct.

6:22 Text here reads (p. 121): "To Taurus' skyey peak we clomb." Now, I think "skyey" may be a made-up word, or at least one I don't think I've ever seen or read before. In any case, I hear "skry," or something like it. Think you could have another go at this line?
7:55 Text here reads (p. 122): "...among a slavish horde." I hear "...among a lavish horde."
Both are good catches - I think I got 'skyey' correct this time, even though its still not quite a "real" word - I treated is as 'sky-ie' (sorta like sky-ish...).
You were right on with the 'Slavish' horde, that was a straight forward correction.

Here's the revised recordings. In both cases I re-recorded the entire line (I think I got a bit more expressive with the practice), but I didn't change any of the other lines in the recording. Its 8:49 long.
*** Doug F.
*** Doug F.
"The glass isn't half full, its about to overflow - get me another glass!"
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thank you both! I will listen soon. :)
Donzo

Post by Donzo »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Donzo wrote: February 24th, 2021, 5:16 am I think I have it finally :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin-selimact10.mp3
Thanks. I will check them soon. :)
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
Donzo

Post by Donzo »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Donzo wrote: February 25th, 2021, 6:42 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin-selimact1.mp3

This is act 1 sent act 10 :clap:
Thank you, Donzo! I appreciate all your hard work. :clap: Fyi, the volume on these are both fairly low. I'll be able to work with it, so it's fine, but for future recordings, you'll need to increase the input level from your mic, or else amplify your recordings.

I just realized, while checking act 1 again, that the line marked for "Boys" probably means Aladdin, Selim, and Sindbad. *sigh* This has really been a difficult script to figure out. :? If you wouldn't mind, it would be wonderful to have this one more line from you: "Ho, more oranges!" You can just submit it in a file by itself. Name it something like aladdin_selim_oranges. But I won't require it of you, since it was my goof. That being said, I will mark Act 1 PL ok.

Now, for act 10.

0:19 Missing line, p. 264: "What, Sindbad! Don't you really know me, then?"
0:45 There is a word missing in this line and another word added, so that it sounds a bit confusing. Text reads (p. 265): "...and I should, to hear you talk, almost believe..." I hear: "...and I should hear you talk of almost believe..."
2:59 Changed word, that makes the sentence not make sense. Text reads (p. 268): "My hose will be most miserably dirtied at the knees." (hose meaning stockings, here) I hear: "My house will be most miserably dirtied at the knees."

I also noticed that you don't tend to leave very much space between lines. In a dramatic reading like this, you should always leave 3-5 seconds of silence between each of your lines, to help the editor (me, in this case) find where each of your speeches begins and ends. I won't list each spot and ask you to correct them (there's enough there for me to work with), but this is something you'll need to remember if you decide to sign up for another dramatic project in the future. (And I hope you do! They are a lot of fun, and your voice would be a welcome addition to our drama troupe!)

Thanks again. Almost there!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Doug42 wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 4:33 pm
mightyfelix wrote: February 12th, 2021, 9:28 am
Doug42 wrote: February 7th, 2021, 6:23 pm Here is section 12 - 'Sentinel' and 'Two Others' -
I tried to vary the voices a bit - it seemed to me that each of the 'two others' comes from different spirits.
Anyway, here it is - coming in at 8:40 long :

*** Doug F.
Thanks, Doug! This is a great help! There are a couple of spots to correct.

6:22 Text here reads (p. 121): "To Taurus' skyey peak we clomb." Now, I think "skyey" may be a made-up word, or at least one I don't think I've ever seen or read before. In any case, I hear "skry," or something like it. Think you could have another go at this line?
7:55 Text here reads (p. 122): "...among a slavish horde." I hear "...among a lavish horde."
Both are good catches - I think I got 'skyey' correct this time, even though its still not quite a "real" word - I treated is as 'sky-ie' (sorta like sky-ish...).
You were right on with the 'Slavish' horde, that was a straight forward correction.

Here's the revised recordings. In both cases I re-recorded the entire line (I think I got a bit more expressive with the practice), but I didn't change any of the other lines in the recording. Its 8:49 long.
*** Doug F.
Thank you, Doug! PL ok now!

Um... :oops: In other news...

How convenient that you and Donzo should have both submitted corrections at the same time! :mrgreen: I just realized, while double checking his Selim role (see my last post in this thread) that I probably misinterpreted a scene in act 1 that you appeared in as Sindbad. If you like (but I won't require it of you), it would be great to have one extra line from you: "Ho! more oranges!" Named something like aladdin_sindbad_oranges. I think this line was meant to be spoken by Aladdin, Selim, and Sindbad, not some random nameless boys. :roll:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

czandra wrote: February 20th, 2021, 6:57 am take 2 - https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_secondcourtier_09_128kb.mp3
4min 50s

you could use the song as outro to the whole thing, fading away.... ha!
Hope this is up to scratch.

Cz
Ah yes, excellent! PL ok now, thank you so much!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, so it looks like it's time for a progress report, now that we are getting so close to the end.

I have not heard from our Aladdin in some time. I sent him a PM a little while ago, but he hasn't logged in to see it. If I still haven't heard anything by March 5, I will open up this role.

We are waiting for corrections from three readers (not including Donzo, since I just posted notes for him a few minutes ago). I will send these three each a PM as soon as I have posted this. Two of these readers are still active. One hasn't logged in since early January. So it's possible, if I don't hear anything back (again, I'll say by March 5), that I'll open the role of the Jester/Fool in acts 5 and 9.

The reader who claimed the Man/Owner of the House has not logged in for some time. I will open this role on March 1 if we don't hear anything from him.

I've decided that we no longer need the role of Second Boy, so I'm removing myself from that role, and I'm removing the role from the MW. And I've been putting off my recording of the Nightingale, but I'll try to get that done this weekend.
czandra

Post by czandra »

thanks for the progress report. good to see how the pieces come together, and the hiccups in getting it there.
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
Donzo

Post by Donzo »

ok Will Do