[COMPLETE] Aladdin, or, The Wonderful Lamp-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Kalamareader »

Devorah,

Would "narrator" include all of the "stage directions" too? Also, would that include the long poems, such as the one at the beginning of Act 2?

Wayne

Edit: After reading through the first two acts, this sounds like a lot of fun. Yes, could I claim the "narrator"?
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Meetali10

Post by Meetali10 »

Hello!

May this message finds you well. Would you please help me in regards to how things work in reading the play? So if I suppose choose Aladdin as my character and if I choose to read act 1 so I have to record the parts of Aladdin only? Am I right? Please help me with the procedure? And yeah I am interested in taking up Aladdin as my character role.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

Warm regards
Meetali
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: July 31st, 2020, 2:57 am thank you for the nice feedback, Devorah :9:
I especially love your monologue in act 10, scolding Aladdin for his foolishness. You've been so meek and mild, obeying your master implicitly, but here you've just got to speak your mind for once!
yes I was done with meek at that point :lol: he needed some serious talking-to.
Act 2:

0:45 OPTIONAL This could be my speakers or something, but I hear it every time I replay this part. I'm hearing an odd sort of clicking under the words "not only I". It's not a big deal, and I'm fine with it as is, but I mention it in case you want to review it.
ok I hear the click too, it was difficult to cut out, so I re-recorded that part, "not only I", the rest stays the same

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_spirit_lamp_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:39 min.
Act 5:

1:04 Minor change, but maybe significant. Text reads "I'll pillars carve from them." ("Them" here refers to the tusks of ivory.) I hear "I'll pillars carve for them."
:shock: indeed a change in meaning. Also re-recorded, only that part "I'll pillars carve from them"

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_spirit_lamp_5_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:53 min.
Act 10:

3:18 I found another awkward chorus moment that isn't labeled well on page 296, beginning with "Sevenfold joy and health..." near the top of the page. Will you add this one in, please?
it's a wonder I didn't miss more of these choruses :lol: ok, put in at 3:19. :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_spirit_lamp_10_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 4:15 min.

thanks for the great PL

Sonia
Thanks so much! All PL ok now! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kalamareader wrote: July 31st, 2020, 8:30 pm Devorah,

Would "narrator" include all of the "stage directions" too? Also, would that include the long poems, such as the one at the beginning of Act 2?

Wayne

Edit: After reading through the first two acts, this sounds like a lot of fun. Yes, could I claim the "narrator"?
Thank you so much! Yes, this would include all stage directions, as well as the introduction and LV disclaimer, and even some of the long poems, the ones that don't belong to specified characters.

I believe you have been around the dramatic forums long enough now that you already know these things, but just in case. Remember that when a stage direction is given at the beginning of the speech, such as "ALADDIN (advances to the window)" you should read both the name and the direction, so that the listener knows who it is. The formatting here is quite tricky and inconsistent in a few places, so you can't always count on italics or something like that always being there to tip you off. If there is anything that you're unsure of, please ask, and I'll try to help figure it out.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Meetali10 wrote: July 31st, 2020, 10:49 pm Hello!

May this message finds you well. Would you please help me in regards to how things work in reading the play? So if I suppose choose Aladdin as my character and if I choose to read act 1 so I have to record the parts of Aladdin only? Am I right? Please help me with the procedure? And yeah I am interested in taking up Aladdin as my character role.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

Warm regards
Meetali
Welcome! I'm glad you've found your way to this project. :D It looks like this would be your first role in a play or dramatic reading, is that right? They are a lot of fun, but can be a bit confusing at first.

For projects like these, you would read only the lines that belong to your character. In between each line, you'll leave 3-5 seconds of silence so that the editor (in this case, me) can easily snip your lines apart and arrange them in the right order with the other characters. (This includes leaving 3-5 seconds for stage directions, if your line is ever interrupted by stage directions.) This is your opportunity to be a bit more dramatic with your reading. You don't have to read the whole play, but it's a good idea to read at least the lines just before and after your own lines, so that you know how to best "react." If the stage directions give any cues like "he laughs," "he gives a cry of anger," etc, you are free to record your own laugh or angry cry or whatever, although you don't have to. I may not always be able to use these little effects, but if I can, I will!

I am happy to have you read Aladdin! I'll warn you, though, that you are in for quite a lot of recording. As the main character, he appears in every act and has quite a lot to say. I wouldn't be surprised if the role of Aladdin ends up being around 3 hours of finished recording in all, meaning that it will take you 2-3 times that long to record and edit. If you are up to the challenge, then I will go ahead and assign the role to you. If you'd rather have a smaller role for your first dramatic reading, that's ok too. Please let me know!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

:thumbs:
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

OK, I am finally ready to get started on this. Looking it over, I have one question (for now). I just want to make sure I get it right. At the very beginning, should the whole project start with :"Preface, Dedication and Cast list of Aladdin..." then say each of the characters names (leaving a pause) and then say Preface and read it and etc.?

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

mightyfelix wrote: August 1st, 2020, 11:59 am
Thank you so much! Yes, this would include all stage directions, as well as the introduction and LV disclaimer, and even some of the long poems, the ones that don't belong to specified characters.

I believe you have been around the dramatic forums long enough now that you already know these things, but just in case. Remember that when a stage direction is given at the beginning of the speech, such as "ALADDIN (advances to the window)" you should read both the name and the direction, so that the listener knows who it is. The formatting here is quite tricky and inconsistent in a few places, so you can't always count on italics or something like that always being there to tip you off. If there is anything that you're unsure of, please ask, and I'll try to help figure it out.
First, I wish that one could add a "quote" reference after you have 'submitted' a post through the 'edit' mode, of if you can I haven't figured it out. The obvious reason is that if you forget to in the initial post, you can't do it after so that the person to whom you are writing won't get a 'notification'.

That is the only reason for this post, to let you know I posted the previous post. :roll:

Wayne
Wayne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, I suppose you could start a new post with a quote, then copy the text and code, then cancel, go back, and paste it into your old post? :hmm: But is it worth it? BTW, I make sure I'm subscribed to all my projects, so I'll always see what you post, even if you don't quote me. :wink:

Yes, please start that one with "Preface, Dedication, and Cast List of Aladdin..." Then you can start right in with the Preface and then the Dedication (To Goethe). I won't ask you to read all the characters. Just make sure you include "Narration by [your name]." And then finish off with "End of Preface, Dedication, and Cast List."
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Devorah

You are sooo on top if it. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the instructions. Easier to do it correctly the first time than have to edit it to make it right.

In the 18 minutes between my post and yours, I figured out (Duh) that I could still go ahead and do the first act while awaiting your response, so here, out of order, is my first try at this: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_narrator_01_128kb.mp3

Time: 9:05

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kalamareader wrote: August 1st, 2020, 7:44 pm Devorah

You are sooo on top if it. :clap: :clap:

Thanks for the instructions. Easier to do it correctly the first time than have to edit it to make it right.

In the 18 minutes between my post and yours, I figured out (Duh) that I could still go ahead and do the first act while awaiting your response, so here, out of order, is my first try at this: https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_narrator_01_128kb.mp3

Time: 9:05

Thanks,

Wayne
Woo-hoo! Thanks, Wayne! This is a great start! I have a couple of notes. Nothing major. :)

OPTIONAL about 3:14 Pronunciation is not that important, but just in case you want to correct it... "bier" is pronounced the same as "beer". :wink:
3:17 Missing line: "weeps" (The same word appears again at 5:37. You can copy/paste it from there.)
OPTIONAL about 3:28 "bier" again.
8:58 Although the book is printed with "End of Act First," I'd like to remain consistent with the intro and use "End of Part 1, Act 1."

Thanks for starting us off strong! It's always nice to get the stage directions in early on in the process.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Algy Pug wrote: July 31st, 2020, 7:01 pm Here is Act 3 for the Sultan:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_soliman_03_128kb.mp3
6:13

Cheers
And also a very strong start with the Sultan! :D PL ok!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Thanks Devorah,

About the pronunciation, I first recorded it "beer', then thought, no that isn't right, the other one is. I should have checked. Also, at the beginning of each act, it says "Act the ___" When I read that part should I read it that way, or change it to "Act ___".

It will be probably be Tuesday before the next one gets done. Life happens.

Thanks again for the help and the support.

Wayne
Wayne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kalamareader wrote: August 1st, 2020, 9:30 pm Also, at the beginning of each act, it says "Act the ___" When I read that part should I read it that way, or change it to "Act ___".
That part, you can just read from the page. I'm more concerned with the very first and very last words of the recording being consistent.