LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 4 is PL OK.

Nicely done.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sorry again for the delay on this, everyone. Act 5 is ready except for stacking the group/chorus sections, which in this act are quite extensive. I hope to finish that within the week.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, after a very long delay, act 5 is finally ready for PL! All told, there were about 10 minutes of unison lines, involving a total of seven voices. :shock: (Though never all seven at one time, thank goodness. :lol: )

Act 6 should go much much quicker. Act 7 has some crowd lines, but I don't think they'll be too bad. Act 8 is almost entirely Aladdin monologuing. After that, well, we'll see. I know that there's a touching funeral scene which might be a bit tricky. But this should start moving along much better.

EDIT: Oh, I mean, it will be ready for PL as soon as I upload it. That step is important, I think.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Downloaded to PL.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great to be back to this story!

Very nicely done! Great voices and great editing! A few - mere suggestions, nothing necessary - as PL comments for Act 5:
0:27 - I see no need to identify this sentinel character - role as sentinel becomes obvious, and Second Sentinel is identified at exit
21:06 - you could swap order of stage direction "The cock crows" and First Spirit's "But hark! what cry was there?" to be better understood
46:21 - you say "end of Part One Act 5" - should this be followed by "End of Part One"?

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ToddHW wrote: January 11th, 2022, 8:41 am Great to be back to this story!

Very nicely done! Great voices and great editing! A few - mere suggestions, nothing necessary - as PL comments for Act 5:
0:27 - I see no need to identify this sentinel character - role as sentinel becomes obvious, and Second Sentinel is identified at exit (Devorah: Hm, perhaps that's true. It seems to me, though, that each scene is introduced by stating 1) where it takes place and 2) who is present. Page 116 shows the kind of thing I mean. So I think I'd like to maintain that.)
21:06 - you could swap order of stage direction "The cock crows" and First Spirit's "But hark! what cry was there?" to be better understood (Devorah: Hm, I'm not sure. I've listened to it both ways, and I like the cock crow before the "But hark!" But then it sounds strange to me afterwards to have the Spirit ask a question and then immediately answer it. I was thinking of it as if the Spirit heard it faintly, asked, and then heard it louder.)
46:21 - you say "end of Part One Act 5" - should this be followed by "End of Part One"? (Devorah: I hadn't thought of that. Wayne didn't record this, but I bet he would be willing to. I can see how it might make listening easier.)

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

46:21 - you say "end of Part One Act 5" - should this be followed by "End of Part One"? (Devorah: I hadn't thought of that. Wayne didn't record this, but I bet he would be willing to. I can see how it might make listening easier.)
If you decide you want the "End of Part One" added then you could just copy the "end of Part One Act 5" and cut off the "Act 5"....

Based on your comments, guess I can mark Act 5 as PL OK now?

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

That's an obvious solution! I will change that. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Act 5 is uploading once more, with "End of Part 1" added on the end.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

While editing act 6, I began to have second thoughts about Melpomene. There were two things that bothered me. One of them was the fact that Alan Mapstone was reading two roles in one section. I didn't mind that at first, since the prologue isn't really part of the act, but hearing it all together, it didn't seem to work as well. But the other thing is that I have learned, since Alan submitted that role, that Melpomene is a woman, one of the nine muses, and I realized that I would prefer a female voice. :oops:

Alan has graciously allowed me to take over that role from him (thanks again, Alan, and for all your help in this play!), so in addition to act 6, I'm also uploading an updated cast list, with my voice inserted where Alan's had been, at 10:30.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

PL suggestions for Act 6

@16:22 - could delete stage direction "he laughs" becuz Alan already laughs right afterwards
@19:05 - you might reduce volume of Alan's part here; since he is telling me to speak low, maybe he should speak low as well?
@20:00 - lovely singing, but is the tune PD? Need a statement in the forum from the reader saying so at the least.

Otherwise fine voices and editing!

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I like those suggestions. And I wasn't really sure about the "laughs" part. Always nice to have another opinion.

Here is what Jenn said about the tune:
jennlea wrote: September 21st, 2020, 8:53 pm If the song in Act 6 isn't to your liking, I can easily redo it. I'm not a composer so I basically just sang the same tune I came up with over and over :lol:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 6 now PL OK.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

One more act is ready for PL. This is the longest one so far!

Also, I became curious to know while working on this what exactly a deathwatch is, and what it sounds like. It's a beetle, and in my opinion sounds nothing like Pi! Pi! Pi! https://youtu.be/S9E5uWQraSw
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Love the start to Act 7: no listener will ever believe that The Sultan, Casem, and the Vizer were not on the same stage recording this together! The lines and their intonation and timing all fit perfectly!

@ 10:04: directions say "speaks softly" - could Zephyr's next two lines be deamplified to reflect this?
@ 23:13: I think Aladdin has already identified "The Spider" and you don't need the stage direction here

Only halfway through - more to come....

EDIT: All the rest fine - just the two comments above. This was quite an act. The rest tell pieces of the story; this really runs you through an emotional wringer! We might have to find more by this guy....

Thanks, Todd