[PLAY-OPEN] Aladdin, or, The Wonderful Lamp-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 5th, 2020, 6:19 pm

alanmapstone wrote:
October 26th, 2020, 2:35 am
The Minstrel act 9

There are two versions here as I could not make up my mind on this. The first one I prefer but I thought it might be too "uptempo" for a minstrel so the second is supposed to be more "minstrely". You can delete the one you don't want.
Both have improvised tunes although I think the first may be based on a traditional hymn :hmm:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_minstrel1_09.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_minstrel2_09.mp3
I prefer the first as well. There's no rule that minstrels have to be slow and somber. In fact, I think the minstrels would have all gone on strike if anyone had tried to force it on them! PL ok. Thanks!

Doug42

Post by Doug42 » November 8th, 2020, 4:58 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Thanks so much, Doug! Yes, I can certainly tell that you were getting into your role. :D I can't help hoping that he does get the position of Fool, and really, I think he deserves it, for fetching Aladdin's enemy in disguise, with the help of a wicked ghost! :lol:

There are just a couple of corrections needed. Nothing major. Good work!

0:35 OPTIONAL pronunciation note. This word is "quotha," and is a two-syllable word. I am hearing "quoth," I think. The meaning is understood, I think. I just have a special fondness for the word "quotha." :roll: :lol: Don't ask. But totally up to you to leave it or change it.
2:54 Text here (p. 265) reads "No fear of tumbling ever need perplex us." I hear "No feet of tumbling ever need perplex us." (Especially confusing because the whole conversation is about feet.)
12:38 Insert a space here for stage directions. (After "there must be laics, too.")
17:50 Text (p. 281) reads "...the wild vagaries fancy sometimes plays..." (vay-guh-reez) I hear "vagracies," which, so far as I am aware, is not a word. :hmm:
18:23 Insert a space here for stage directions. (After "good-day!")
21: 14 Insert a space here for stage directions. (After "ghost, I doubt!")
23:15 Text (p. 286) reads "we sons of clay." I hear "we sons of the day." (The "cl" does sort of merge together to look like a "d", but you can tell the difference if you zoom in.)
-----
Some real good 'catches' - I've fixed all of them here https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladin_sinbad_10_128kb.mp3. I also corrected some volume level discrepancies, regularizing things a bit more, and added some space between 'lines' as needed. The new track length is around 27:10.

** Doug

Doug42

Post by Doug42 » November 8th, 2020, 5:18 pm

If its okay with you, I'd like to take on the Grocer in Act 3 (M.W. line 14).

Also, I could do the one line for 'Second boy' in act 1 (M.W. line 11) - but I have not found that line in the text - what page is it on?

Thanks
Doug F.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 8th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Thanks, Doug! PL ok now. :thumbs: Nice work!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 8th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Doug42 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Also, I could do the one line for 'Second boy' in act 1 (M.W. line 11) - but I have not found that line in the text - what page is it on?

Thanks
Doug F.
I'm happy for you to read the grocer! However, since you already appear in Act 1 as Sindbad, I'd rather you not read another role in the same act, even just a one-liner. There are several still to choose from in acts 6 and 7, if you want to take a look there instead?

SpockleDorf

Post by SpockleDorf » November 8th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Status update: I've finished recording Act 2 for Aladdin... (hopefully editing can get it polished up) I knew he talked a lot, but I didn't know he talked that much. :lol:

I'll be editing and submitting it soon, hopefully in the next hour or 2.

EDIT: (Yeah, editing is time consuming... :lol: I didn't even get a quarter finished...)
Last edited by SpockleDorf on November 9th, 2020, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER: All typos were created specifically for your enjoyment and are free of charge.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 8th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Looking forward to it! I doubt I'll be able to PL tonight, though.

Almost everybody talks a lot in this play. :hmm: I'm beginning to doubt whether I'll be able to fit each act into just one recording. :? I may need to split several of them.

EDIT: Actually, taking a closer look at the roles I have in already, I think it's not as bad as I thought. Act 10 is pushing it a little, but I think will still be right around an hour or so. I think we'll be ok! :thumbs:

Doug42

Post by Doug42 » November 11th, 2020, 7:59 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 5:26 pm
Doug42 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Thanks
Doug F.
I'm happy for you to read the grocer! However, since you already appear in Act 1 as Sindbad, I'd rather you not read another role in the same act, even just a one-liner. There are several still to choose from in acts 6 and 7, if you want to take a look there instead?
No problem - I fully understand. Grocer it is, and I'll definitely look at the other parts.
*** Doug.

Tchaikovsky

Post by Tchaikovsky » November 13th, 2020, 3:06 pm

May I volunteer to read Architect Act 6, and Apothecary Act 8?

Tchaikovsky

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 14th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Tchaikovsky wrote:
November 13th, 2020, 3:06 pm
May I volunteer to read Architect Act 6, and Apothecary Act 8?

Tchaikovsky
All yours, thanks so much! These are both pretty humorous, as I recall, especially the apothecary. Gotta have an apothecary in any good drama, right? :wink: The exchange between him and Aladdin is pretty fun. I look forward to hearing it!

Thoria

Post by Thoria » November 25th, 2020, 7:20 pm

I claim Master Mason, Second Lord of the Treasury, Court Jew, Laborer, Coppersmith; All unclaimed Act 6.
Thank you.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 25th, 2020, 7:36 pm

Thoria wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 7:20 pm
I claim Master Mason, Second Lord of the Treasury, Court Jew, Laborer, Coppersmith; All unclaimed Act 6.
Thank you.
Thanks so much, and welcome to LibriVox!

I won't be able to assign you all of these roles. Dramatic projects are quite different from regular books, in that each character is spoken by a different person. Sometimes we can do double casting, but only under certain circumstances. As stated in the first post of this thread, you can only claim one role per act. This is because it would be too confusing to have the same voice reading multiple characters who are all talking to each other. :?

All that being said, you can still have several roles if you like, just as long as they are in different acts. Right now, there are still unclaimed roles in acts 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9.

Thoria

Post by Thoria » November 25th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Okay.
I'll take Master Mason, act 6; deathwatch, act 7; and first courtier, act 9.
Can I take second courtier, act 9 also?

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » November 25th, 2020, 7:57 pm

Thoria wrote:
November 25th, 2020, 7:43 pm
Okay.
I'll take Master Mason, act 6; deathwatch, act 7; and first courtier, act 9.
Can I take second courtier, act 9 also?
Thanks! I'll sign you up for these, except for the second courtier. Again, it would just be too confusing to listen to a scene with one voice for two different characters.

How would you like to be credited in the catalogue? You can use your real name, screen name, or some other pseudonym.

Thoria

Post by Thoria » November 25th, 2020, 8:06 pm

Thoria is fine.
Thank you.