[PLAY-OPEN] Aladdin, or, The Wonderful Lamp-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist » September 28th, 2020, 2:36 pm

I was just about to record the Nightingale when I realized that you want that role to include the Caravan on Page 248, and the Caravan lines are supposed to be sung, and by multiple people. What do you want me to do with this? Is everyone singing the same tune?
Salvationist

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » September 28th, 2020, 7:18 pm

No, all of the unison/group lines will be spoken. It's too hard to coordinate music for multiple readers. We have had a few readers who have found or invented tunes for their own solo songs, but I'm not requiring that (it's fine to just read it, in other words), and I most certainly do not want it for group lines. Making spoken words line up right is hard enough as it is! :lol:

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » September 28th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Just a quick heads-up: I started to read Morgiana last night but had to stop when my dear neighbor fired up his aircondition (which sounds like a propeller airplane :roll: ) I hope he doesn't have funny ideas like this again soon, so I can finish her while the weather is still nice...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » September 28th, 2020, 8:53 pm

Thanks, Ava. I'm looking forward to your characterization of her. She's such a fun character!

alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone » September 29th, 2020, 4:13 am

Male bird act 8

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_malebird_08.mp3

In the jointly spoken bits I tried match your times, 10 seconds and 6 seconds respectively

Also Female Bird is PL OK :thumbs:
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » September 29th, 2020, 5:46 am

Availle wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 8:46 pm
Just a quick heads-up: I started to read Morgiana last night but had to stop when my dear neighbor fired up his aircondition (which sounds like a propeller airplane :roll: ) I hope he doesn't have funny ideas like this again soon, so I can finish her while the weather is still nice...
When I first saw this I thought you said your neighbor fired up his accordion! Now THAT would be the worst!

Thanks, Todd

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin » September 29th, 2020, 1:50 pm

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » September 29th, 2020, 7:44 pm

Thank you both! MW updated. No time for PL today, sorry. :)

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin » October 1st, 2020, 1:21 pm

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 1st, 2020, 5:58 pm

alanmapstone wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 4:13 am
Male bird act 8

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_malebird_08.mp3

In the jointly spoken bits I tried match your times, 10 seconds and 6 seconds respectively

Also Female Bird is PL OK :thumbs:
Oh, Alan, this is perfect! Except that I just noticed another line for both of us that we both missed. :oops: About the middle of page 205, there is a little poem for "Birds." I will record it tonight, if you want to follow my timing again. Sorry about that!

EDIT: Done! It's in my file starting at about 0:06

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 1st, 2020, 6:20 pm

VocalPenguin wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 1:21 pm
Hindbad, Act 9 (10:33): https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_hindbad_09_128kb.mp3
Very well done! I believe this is my first time to PL your work. Hindbad is an interesting character, for sure! I laughed out loud at the concluding words of act 5. I wasn't expecting that! :lol: Act 5 is PL ok, and so is act 9, although I do have one optional suggestion for improvement on act 9.

3:10 OPTIONAL suggestion. "Yea" in this kind of older, formal language is generally pronounced "yay." As it is now ("yeah"), it sounds a bit strange, as "yeah" is so informal and modern in comparison to the rest of the language. Still, no need to correct it unless you want to.

Looking forward to your cross-dressing act! :wink:

VocalPenguin

Post by VocalPenguin » October 1st, 2020, 7:30 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 6:20 pm
Very well done! I believe this is my first time to PL your work. Hindbad is an interesting character, for sure! I laughed out loud at the concluding words of act 5. I wasn't expecting that! :lol: Act 5 is PL ok, and so is act 9, although I do have one optional suggestion for improvement on act 9.

3:10 OPTIONAL suggestion. "Yea" in this kind of older, formal language is generally pronounced "yay." As it is now ("yeah"), it sounds a bit strange, as "yeah" is so informal and modern in comparison to the rest of the language. Still, no need to correct it unless you want to.

Whoops, I was so distracted by figuring out the word "famulus" that I misread the easier words in the sentence! :lol:

That's an easy fix though, so I've updated it:
Hindbad, Act 9 reprise (10:33): https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_hindbad_09_128kb.mp3

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 1st, 2020, 7:33 pm

VocalPenguin wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 7:30 pm
mightyfelix wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 6:20 pm

Whoops, I was so distracted by figuring out the word "famulus" that I misread the easier words in the sentence! :lol:

That's an easy fix though, so I've updated it:
Hindbad, Act 9 reprise (10:33): https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/aladdin_hindbad_09_128kb.mp3
Yes, "famulus" would have tripped me up, too! :) PL ok now, thank you! :thumbs:

Salvationist

Post by Salvationist » October 2nd, 2020, 3:01 pm

I've decided that I'm not interested in reading the Nightingale after all. May I read the First Elf instead?
Salvationist

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » October 2nd, 2020, 8:39 pm

Salvationist wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 3:01 pm
I've decided that I'm not interested in reading the Nightingale after all. May I read the First Elf instead?
No problem! I've made that switch for you. :)

And then, on further consideration, I decided to do the Nightingale myself. I'm already a bird in act 8, so it kind of fits!