[COMPLETE] Peg O' My Heart by J. Hartley Manners-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Kalamareader wrote: March 28th, 2021, 7:09 pm
Ambsweet13 wrote: March 28th, 2021, 6:29 pm
Kalamareader wrote: March 28th, 2021, 5:54 pm

I didn't realize this was this was to me. :hmm: I thought it was just you and Devorah discussing the final editing until I read it in detail and I think it was for me. I am away from a computer now, and won't be back home until Tuesday. I will get it done then. Sorry for the hangup.

Wayne
Whoops, probably should have replied to one of your posts to make it more clear. Don't worry about it, editing like crazy here and adding in those little comments won't take very long!
No problem, but I do have a question. This is my first Play DPLing. Maybe I got myself into more that I expected. So, I am to PL the entire play after you have edited it? Is that what I am gathering? It is OK and I will do it, but more that I knew. New learning is not a bad thing :help: Maybe a little instruction one exactly is my responsibility would help.

Thanks,

Wayne
Yes, once I upload the final act finals that have been edited, you listen through them and PL just like you would a regular character file.
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Ambsweet13 wrote: March 28th, 2021, 1:40 pm I have been working on the assembly of Act 1. It is going to be too long to fit in one recording so I will need a couple more lines of the stage directions.
"Part 1"
"Part 2"
"End of Act 1 Part 1"
"End of Act 1 Part 2"
You don't need to add this to your original file just give it a new name (something like pegomyheart_extradirections_1_128kb)
I hope these work. If not, I can do them again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_extradirections_1_128kb.mp3

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Kalamareader wrote: March 30th, 2021, 8:21 pm
Ambsweet13 wrote: March 28th, 2021, 1:40 pm I have been working on the assembly of Act 1. It is going to be too long to fit in one recording so I will need a couple more lines of the stage directions.
"Part 1"
"Part 2"
"End of Act 1 Part 1"
"End of Act 1 Part 2"
You don't need to add this to your original file just give it a new name (something like pegomyheart_extradirections_1_128kb)
I hope these work. If not, I can do them again.

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_extradirections_1_128kb.mp3

Wayne
Thank you!

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Ambsweet13 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 10:34 am Here is Act 1 Part 1!
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_1_1_128kb.mp3 (50:29)
Amazing. All the characters are so strong. Well read and edited.

In reality, this is the best play I have listened to on LV. (Especially the Stage Directions! :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I can't wait for part two et al.

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

This is in reference to the PM's we exchanged. Like I said, I don't want to step on anyone's toes. As I listened to Part 1 again, I took some notes like I do when I PL a reading. As I did this, I felt like I was more of a 'director' of the play. I know that the term "editor" is given to the one who puts the whole thing together and the DPL (me) listens to it again to check it out. As I said before I heard some pauses/gaps in the recording that seemed to make it drag a little, so I listened to it again and made some notes. But my question/fear is that I am overstepping my assignment. I just don't know what 'liberties' with the 'edited' recording I have. So, here it goes. Of course you can accept or reject any of the ideas I have set forth here. I will not feel offended or rejected at all. Most of the ideas I have put here are ones that I feel will make the play move along a little more quickly. As they say in radio "dead air is death". Anyway:

5:53 Maybe cut this pause down.
6:00 Maybe cut this pause down.
6:45 Maybe cut this pause down. Mrs. Chichester is so overwrought that she jumps right in after comments of the children.
13:51 Maybe delete S.D “Stop”
14:37 Cut this gap about in half.
17:06 Maybe delete S.D “Pause” and just leave a pause in there.
17:12 also this “Pause”
21:21 With the way Ethel reads the line, we could probably delete this S.D.
21:43 I think that the Stage direction here could be eliminated, and Ethel just put in her line after about, maybe half a second.
22:21 I think this pause could be cut very short. I hear him responding quickly, in shock, to her use of the work Charity.
23:20 Again, the way Ethel gives the line, I think we can delete this S.D.
24:05 Maybe cut this gap down.
30:55 Maybe cut this pause down to keep it moving.
34:29 Maybe cut this pause down.
34:41 Maybe cut this pause down.
35:26 Again, responding to an unexpected comment, I think the response should be quicker.
35:40 Maybe cut this pause down.
38:18 Maybe cut this pause down.
38:49 Maybe cut this pause down.
43:12 Maybe cut this pause down.
44:43 Maybe cut this pause down.

It seemed to me that like no more than half a second, as a rule of thumb, between Stage Directions and lines seems to work, at least to my ear, and also most of the time between different character's lines. Of course the latter is far from hard and fast.

I will wait to do Part 2 until I have heard back from you. :D

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Kalamareader wrote: April 7th, 2021, 3:59 pm

This is in reference to the PM's we exchanged. Like I said, I don't want to step on anyone's toes. As I listened to Part 1 again, I took some notes like I do when I PL a reading. As I did this, I felt like I was more of a 'director' of the play. I know that the term "editor" is given to the one who puts the whole thing together and the DPL (me) listens to it again to check it out. As I said before I heard some pauses/gaps in the recording that seemed to make it drag a little, so I listened to it again and made some notes. But my question/fear is that I am overstepping my assignment. I just don't know what 'liberties' with the 'edited' recording I have. So, here it goes. Of course you can accept or reject any of the ideas I have set forth here. I will not feel offended or rejected at all. Most of the ideas I have put here are ones that I feel will make the play move along a little more quickly. As they say in radio "dead air is death". Anyway:

5:53 Maybe cut this pause down.
6:00 Maybe cut this pause down.
6:45 Maybe cut this pause down. Mrs. Chichester is so overwrought that she jumps right in after comments of the children.
13:51 Maybe delete S.D “Stop”
14:37 Cut this gap about in half.
17:06 Maybe delete S.D “Pause” and just leave a pause in there.
17:12 also this “Pause”
21:21 With the way Ethel reads the line, we could probably delete this S.D.
21:43 I think that the Stage direction here could be eliminated, and Ethel just put in her line after about, maybe half a second.
22:21 I think this pause could be cut very short. I hear him responding quickly, in shock, to her use of the work Charity.
23:20 Again, the way Ethel gives the line, I think we can delete this S.D.
24:05 Maybe cut this gap down.
30:55 Maybe cut this pause down to keep it moving.
34:29 Maybe cut this pause down.
34:41 Maybe cut this pause down.
35:26 Again, responding to an unexpected comment, I think the response should be quicker.
35:40 Maybe cut this pause down.
38:18 Maybe cut this pause down.
38:49 Maybe cut this pause down.
43:12 Maybe cut this pause down.
44:43 Maybe cut this pause down.

It seemed to me that like no more than half a second, as a rule of thumb, between Stage Directions and lines seems to work, at least to my ear, and also most of the time between different character's lines. Of course the latter is far from hard and fast.

I will wait to do Part 2 until I have heard back from you. :D

Thanks,

Wayne
Don't worry about overstepping! I listened to sections of the Act but did not listen to the whole thing all the way through so if you can catch some long pauses/gaps that would be great. I took most of your suggestions and cut some of the pauses significantly. The stop stage directions were kind of unnecessary so I cut those and just had the next line come in faster. I kept the "pause" direction so that I could have a bigger gap between lines without sounding like dead air. I imagine facial expression/ movements on stage that we can't see in a recording :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_1_1_128kb.mp3 (49:57)

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I just noticed the file name format you've used for the first two parts. This format will not work as is. Archive requires a specific format in order to derive the audio files correctly.

For future reference, you should always number your final edited files with what the section number will be, once it's all said and done. In this case (if I'm understanding your plan correctly), the sections will be:

1: Act 1, part 1
2: Act 2, part 2
3: Act 3
4: Act 4

All other sections will be deleted. So for the remaining acts (and for Act 1 files, if you upload a new version of either part), please use this numbering scheme.
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

mightyfelix wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:50 pm
I just noticed the file name format you've used for the first two parts. This format will not work as is. Archive requires a specific format in order to derive the audio files correctly.

For future reference, you should always number your final edited files with what the section number will be, once it's all said and done. In this case (if I'm understanding your plan correctly), the sections will be:

All other sections will be deleted. So for the remaining acts (and for Act 1 files, if you upload a new version of either part), please use this numbering scheme.
It will be Act 1 Part 1, Act 1 Part 2, Act 2 (hopefully will fit in one part) and Act 3. Usually plays are numbered with act numbers so I wasn’t sure how to do it.

Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

Is there an easier way so I don’t have to try to remember to name Act 2 as Section 3 and Act 3 as Section 4. I feel like that could get super confusing.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ambsweet13 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:56 pm
mightyfelix wrote: April 7th, 2021, 7:50 pm

It will be Act 1 Part 1, Act 1 Part 2, Act 2 (hopefully will fit in one part) and Act 3. Usually plays are numbered with act numbers so I wasn’t sure how to do it.
Perfect. Then yes, my numbering scheme above is what you should use. :shock: Except that I just realized that I made a severe typo. A series of typos, in fact! :lol: What I meant was:

2: Act 1, part 2
3: Act 2
4: Act 3

If you end up splitting Act 2, then it will be:

2: Act 1, part 2
3: Act 2, part 1
4: Act 2, part 2
5: Act 3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ambsweet13 wrote: April 7th, 2021, 8:01 pm Is there an easier way so I don’t have to try to remember to name Act 2 as Section 3 and Act 3 as Section 4. I feel like that could get super confusing.
No, there is not. I recommend that you write it out somewhere, or save my post above for reference perhaps. Or (my personal preference), now that the parts are all in, I would drag the sections for completed files to the top of the MW, so that you can simply go by section numbers. Does that make sense?
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Ambsweet13 wrote: April 6th, 2021, 7:18 pm Here's Act 1 Part 2!
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/pegomyheart_1_2_128kb.mp3 (48:32)
Wow, I have to admit that this is fun. Having acted in numerous plays, but never directed one, I really am enjoying this. :lol:

At about 15:31 and for the next few minutes, there are some great examples of where the spacing is shorter between lines and how it sounds.

You know you have 'created a monster' when you said I could do this:

4:30 Maybe shorten the gap here.

4:40 Even though this is a short space, to me it seems that she is cutting him of as he is going to say more to conjole her to stay.

4:57 I see this a kind of confrontational. Hawkes trying to be nice, but Peg will have none of it. She is defending her 'right' to keep Michael. I think she would jump right in to defend her stance. Virtually no space at all.

5:28, Maybe shorten the gap here. Maybe down to a little less than half a second

5:30 Again, keeping Peg on the offensive. She would ask the question right a way. No pause for this little firecracker.

5:34.5 Maybe cut this down to about half a second

5:43 Maybe shorten the gap here

11:26.5 This is another one that I feel should be right after the stage direction. She, again, is standing up for herself.

12:39.5 Again I feel that there shouldn't be much gap at all between the S.D and the line.

12:43, Maybe only half a second here, no more.

12:45 Again, Peg standing up for herself. She knows what her name is and it is 'PEG'!! Almost no time between S/D and line.

13:24.5 Very short gap here too.

13:39 Take some time out of this one.

30:02.5 I feel that this conversation would be a little 'stilted'. Especially from Jerry, but I think that this comment should be said more quickly, Maybe cut to half a second.

30:26 Less time between S/D and line. Maybe a little less than half a second.

30:46.5 Maybe cut this down to less than half a second.

30:51 Maybe cut this down to less than half a second.

30:54. Maybe down to about half a second.

31:00 Maybe down to less than half a second.

33:24. Maybe no more than about ¾ of a second.

37:37 Maybe a down to about half a second.

40:37. Maybe cut this one really short.

42:03. Again, a rapid response to a kind of challenge from Jerry.

42:56 Maybe down to about half a second.

46:26 Maybe cut down to less than half a second.

47:05 Maybe less than a half a second.

47:07.5 Maybe even shorter than it is now.

47:39.5 Maybe even shorter than it is. Again, Peg standing up for herself.

I didn't go back and re-listen to the changes you made I am sure they are great. But if I should do that, I can.

Have fun. I have always stood in awe of people like you who take on editing a play. It seems that the time involved is immense!! :shock:

I am looking forward to Act 2, if you can stand all the extra stuff I can come up with. :lol:

Wayne
Wayne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll see what I can do about helping to get this project finished up. I'm not able to volunteer to complete editing myself (I have more editing lined up than I can handle currently), but I will try to find an editor for act 2. And it looks like we do still need one audio file from ambsweet, but unless I'm missing something, it is only one line. I think I should be able to impersonate her for long enough to speak that much. :lol: It won't be a great impression, I'm sure, but hopefully will not be noticeable, as the character doesn't seem to have much to say.