COMPLETE[Play] The Widowing of Mrs Holroyd by DH Lawrence - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Mrs. Holroyd Act 1 sounds great and is PL OK! Thank you! I'll PL the other two acts soon.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Mrs. Holroyd Act 2 is PL OK!

I'm enjoying your expressive readings and wanted to offer a few suggestions to keep in mind for future recordings. From time to time I'm hearing plosive sounds. You might be able to lessen these by experimenting with microphone placement. Something I do as well is put a piece of hosiery over my microphone. You might find that helpful.

Also, having a bit longer pauses between lines, around 3-4 seconds, is helpful to the person editing all the parts into one act.

There's no need to makes any changes to these files though. They're fine as is. Thank you! I'll be PLing Act 3 soon.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Mrs. Holroyd Act 3 sounds great! Your delivery of the lines towards the end brought tears to my eyes. Just a few notes:

At 0:47, after "I won't have it. He's your father, remember," there's a missing line, "Well, you mustn't take any notice of him."

At 6:30, you say "He'll happen to be a better man," whereas the text says "He'll happen be a better man." I mention such a minor thing only because the "to" changes the meaning somewhat.

The decibel level is 86.4. Could you amplify the file to bring it up to somewhere between 88 and 92 dB?

Thanks!

Sarah
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Scarbo wrote: August 28th, 2020, 6:17 pm Mrs. Holroyd Act 3 sounds great! Your delivery of the lines towards the end brought tears to my eyes. Just a few notes:

At 0:47, after "I won't have it. He's your father, remember," there's a missing line, "Well, you mustn't take any notice of him."

At 6:30, you say "He'll happen to be a better man," whereas the text says "He'll happen be a better man." I mention such a minor thing only because the "to" changes the meaning somewhat.

The decibel level is 86.4. Could you amplify the file to bring it up to somewhere between 88 and 92 dB?

Thanks!
Here's the corrected vercion of act 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/widowingofmrsholroyd_mrsholroyd_3_128kb.mp3
(12:38)

I'm glad you liked my performance, your praise made my day! :9:
Thank you for the recording tips! I tend to lose myself in the moment when I'm recording a dramatic role, so I'm definitely guilty of going too close to my microphone, hence the plosives. :oops: Until I get myself a proper mounted mic with a filter and whatnot, I'll definitely try putting my nylons over my mic. I'm going to get some strange looks from my mom, but anything for better sound quality, right? :lol:
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Act 3 is PL OK! Thank you!

Yeah, if anyone were to see my headset with a knee-high rubber-banded over the microphone, I have to wonder what they'd make of it! :lol:

Sarah
LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

Can I claim Laura, please?
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

LydiaCW wrote: August 30th, 2020, 4:53 pm Can I claim Laura, please?
yes thanks I will sign you up
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
LydiaCW

Post by LydiaCW »

I'm sorry, something's come up and I'm going to have to give up the part of Laura.
Lydia

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomine tuo da glorium!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

LydiaCW wrote: September 10th, 2020, 1:03 pm I'm sorry, something's come up and I'm going to have to give up the part of Laura.
No problem thank you for letting me know
Michele
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »

Hello!!!!
Here are the recordings for Minnie in act 1 and 3. There were a few dialogues which had stage instructions of sorts in parentheses which I haven't recorded, please let me know with any other corrections if I had to record those too.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/widowingofmrsholroyd_minnie_3_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/widowingofmrsholroyd_minnie_1_128kb.mp3
Thanks
-SS
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

shreyasethi wrote: September 11th, 2020, 10:37 pm Hello!!!!
Here are the recordings for Minnie in act 1 and 3. There were a few dialogues which had stage instructions of sorts in parentheses which I haven't recorded, please let me know with any other corrections if I had to record those too.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/widowingofmrsholroyd_minnie_3_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/widowingofmrsholroyd_minnie_1_128kb.mp3
Thanks
-SS
Act 1 sounds great! And don't worry about the parenthetical stage directions, I narrate those. There's just one minor thing: at 2:06 in "Oo, there was a row," it seems that the word "row" got slightly cut off at the end. If you could re-record that line, you'll be all set for Act 1! Also, this is optional, but generally "row" in this context is pronounced to rhyme with "cow," but don't worry about that unless you just want to redo it that way. :)

I'll be PLing Act 3 soon.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Act 3 sounds great! Just a few notes:

At 0:45 you say, "he'd happen to go to bed," but the text says, "he'd happen go to bed." I bring up such a minor difference only because here the meaning of "happen" is different when it's not followed by "to."

At 1:02 you say, "An' would my father stop there?" whereas the text says, "An' would my father stop here?"

A general note to keep in mind for when you record dramatic works in the future, it's helpful to the person editing all the parts together if there's a pause of about 3-4 seconds between lines. But there's no need to redo the pauses for these files. They're fine as is!

Thanks!

Sarah
shreyasethi

Post by shreyasethi »