Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Hi Michele, I'm about 10 minutes into PLing Act 1, and I've noticed a handful of instances of words being cut off, like what was happening in the Marquis de Villemer chapter. It's much less frequent, so I'm happy to keep going and just make notes of where it happens, but I wanted to check in with you and see what you'd prefer for me to do. The odd thing is that in both cases the time of the file I downloaded matches with the time you posted!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Scarbo wrote: April 11th, 2021, 5:30 pm Hi Michele, I'm about 10 minutes into PLing Act 1, and I've noticed a handful of instances of words being cut off, like what was happening in the Marquis de Villemer chapter. It's much less frequent, so I'm happy to keep going and just make notes of where it happens, but I wanted to check in with you and see what you'd prefer for me to do. The odd thing is that in both cases the time of the file I downloaded matches with the time you posted!
Hi no problem please leave the PL ing and I will look at it tomorrow and see what is going on. It's very strange as it shouldn't be doing that at all. will check it out thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

So I have just had a listen to both the Audacity file and the MP3 and it is not present in either of those. The only thing I can think is that something happened when the upload took place. I will re upload it please could you check it when you have time and see if it is any better.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/widowingofmrsholroyd_01_lawrence_128kb.mp3

Many Thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Act 2 is ready for a final PL thanks
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Act 3 is ready for final PL thanks
Michele
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I downloaded the re-uploaded Act 1, but I'm hearing the same cutoffs. :? I started PLing Act 2, and everything was normal until about 15 minutes in, when cutoffs started happening. I'm sorry this is happening - I can understand how frustrating it is!

I'll start on Act 3 when I have a chance. I skipped around it a bit to see if I heard anything out of the ordinary, and everything I heard sounded normal.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi thanks for that would you be able to just list some times in the file for me to check just to make sure I am not missing them when listening. I have listened to the whole file and can't here any missed endings.

will have to get some advice on this as the files on my computer are fine. There must be something happening when they get uploaded but not sure what.
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi I have edited and reuploaded Act 2 so fingers crossed this is now ok.

Here are the PL notes from Rapunzelina from the other thread
Rapunzelina wrote: April 13th, 2021, 4:16 am I listened to the first 10 minutes of Act 1, and didn't notice any cut-offs.

I listened to the rest of Act 2 after the 15 minutes, mentioned by the proof-listener, and I have a few things to note:
17:12 "...never right between us" cut off
25:09 "I wanted to be a wife to him", very slightly cut off
26:56 "my love", not a cut-off, but this is too quiet, I would amplify to level with the rest of the recording.

Other than those 2, I didn't hear any other cut-offs. Are the above 2 cut-offs in your original file as well?
Michele
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

wib66 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 11:54 pm Hi thanks for that would you be able to just list some times in the file for me to check just to make sure I am not missing them when listening. I have listened to the whole file and can't here any missed endings.

will have to get some advice on this as the files on my computer are fine. There must be something happening when they get uploaded but not sure what.
You could try uploading a FLAC file (which would have to be loaded into Audacity to check) instead of the necessary mp3 to see how that ends up.

Thanks, Todd
wib66

Post by wib66 »

ToddHW wrote: April 13th, 2021, 12:33 pm
wib66 wrote: April 12th, 2021, 11:54 pm Hi thanks for that would you be able to just list some times in the file for me to check just to make sure I am not missing them when listening. I have listened to the whole file and can't here any missed endings.

You could try uploading a FLAC file (which would have to be loaded into Audacity to check) instead of the necessary mp3 to see how that ends up.

Thanks, Todd
Hi Todd thanks do I just upload the FLAC file in the same way through the uploader
Michele
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, just like you would an mp3. Do change the name though - add test or something to it so it doesn't overwrite the mp3 file.

Thanks, Todd
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Sure, here's what I have for the first 10 minutes of Act 1:

0:31 - “Sethi”
3:00 - “impudence”
5:43 - “what should I think”
9:04 - “Goodness knows”

I checked the some of the files for the individual parts too to make sure that it wasn't just how it was recorded originally, but the cutoffs aren't happening in those.

I'm running into the same phenomenon in Act 3 as well, and I downloaded the re-uploaded Act 2 and am finding the same thing. This is all rather bizarre! I can imagine how frustrating it is for you to be reading about this when everything sounds fine in your files. :?

Sarah
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Thanks can you give me some time stamps tor act 2 so I can check thanks. Really don’t know what to do it’s all very strange. Will try flac files as Todd suggests and see if they are any better
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hopefully this one should be right now. I am keeping everything crossed. :mrgreen:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/widowingofmrsholroyd_01_lawrence_128kb.mp3
Michele