COMPLETE[Play] The Widowing of Mrs Holroyd by DH Lawrence - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wib66

Post by wib66 »

The Widowing of Mrs Holroyd by D. H. Lawrence (1885 - 1930).

Mrs. Holroyd is married to a loutish miner, who drinks, apparently patronizes prostitutes, and apparently brutalizes her. When a gentlemanly neighbor makes romantic advances to her, she wishes her husband dead. ( Michele Eaton)
  • This project is complete. Audio files can be found on our catalog page at https://librivox.org/the-widowing-of-mrs-holroyd-by-d-h-lawrence/

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/55877
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
      • Project Code: oxjLZO7n
      • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (D. H. Lawrence) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._H._Lawrence
      • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Widowing_of_Mrs._Holroyd
      • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 50
      • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
      • Original publication date (if known): 1914
        ============================================

Genres for the project: Family Life

Keywords that describe the book: romance, death, family life

============================================
      • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
        Channels: 1 (Mono)
        Bit Rate: 128 kbps
        Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
      • Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
        [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of The Widowing of Mrs Holroyd by D. H. Lawrence. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
      • AFTER recording
        Save files as 128 kbps MP3
        widowingofmrsholroyd_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
        • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
          (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
        • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: toddhw
        • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
        • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
        Please post below
Last edited by wib66 on April 11th, 2021, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Michelle
I may be jumping the gun but I would love to play Holroyd. I think I can do the dialect with a suitable accent.
Big fan of DH 😺
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
wib66

Post by wib66 »

alanmapstone wrote: July 20th, 2020, 10:20 am Hi Michelle
I may be jumping the gun but I would love to play Holroyd. I think I can do the dialect with a suitable accent.
Big fan of DH 😺
Hi Alan that would be great thanks will sign you up when the MW is ready
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

There you go. MW's in both plays.

Thanks, Todd
wib66

Post by wib66 »

ToddHW wrote: July 20th, 2020, 1:19 pm There you go. MW's in both plays.

Thanks, Todd
THanks Todd
Michele
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi Todd the MW is now done as I over estimated the number of sections please could you remove the surplus ones many thanks
Michele
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thanks for setting this and the other play up! I think I'd like to try my hand at PLing for this one. I've gone over the documentation.

May I also sign up for the Narrator for Acts 1-3? (I can't do accents other than my own. :P)
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Scarbo wrote: July 20th, 2020, 2:57 pm Thanks for setting this and the other play up! I think I'd like to try my hand at PLing for this one. I've gone over the documentation.

May I also sign up for the Narrator for Acts 1-3? (I can't do accents other than my own. :P)
Thats great Todd will add you as DPL. I will sign you up to those parts and I will PL those for you. Can I also sign you up to do the cast list.
Have you downloaded checker for checking the files to make sure they are to the right specification if not then here is a link to it

http://www.cgjennings.ca/checker/index.html

And install the latest version.

If you need any help just ask. :help:
Michele
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thanks! I can do the cast list too. And yes, I've got Checker downloaded.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Scarbo wrote: July 20th, 2020, 3:31 pm Thanks! I can do the cast list too. And yes, I've got Checker downloaded.
That's great thanks
Michele
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi Michele, I’d like to claim the titular role of Mrs Holroyd. :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
wib66

Post by wib66 »

EltonTheSnowman wrote: July 20th, 2020, 10:43 pm Hi Michele, I’d like to claim the titular role of Mrs Holroyd. :)
Thank you for claiming
Michele
Toria23

Post by Toria23 »

Hello, this is my first time to ask for a reading, but very keen to claim the role of Clara if it is still open. I believe I will do it justice!
Thanks,
Toria23
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Toria23 wrote: July 22nd, 2020, 6:31 am Hello, this is my first time to ask for a reading, but very keen to claim the role of Clara if it is still open. I believe I will do it justice!
Thanks,
Toria23
Hi and welcome to Librivox. Please don't record your section till you have the ok on your 1-minute test. I do not see your test in the listeners and editors wanted section. It should be uploaded to there so that someone can check it for you and give you the ok. Here is the link to it

viewforum.php?f=21
Michele
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

May I read the First Bearer?
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms