OPEN[PLAY]The Three Pieces of Money by Plautus - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 25th, 2020, 8:47 am

ToddHW wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 5:09 am
To my aged eyes everything in this play is in small print.

Be that as it may, The narration will not include "The Subject", "The Acrostic Argument", or any footnotes.

For Greek names, I think of it as Latin - no silent letters, accent on the next to last syllable. Except, of course, when it is not that way. Now, as far as I am concerned for pronunciations, so long as you are consistent throughout the play in your own files, that is enough. But if you really want help for correctness, :clap: Sonia knows like 123 languages and can tell you authoritatively how things are pronounced, including variations for place and year and social status and rank. (Not that there is any guarantee that the readers with those names will pronounce them "correctly" either though.)

So, do I sign you up?

Thanks, Todd
Please.

And as for Sonia, I was always impressed,but now I am in reverent AWE!!!n :clap: :clap: :clap:
Wayne
Food may be the best fuel for the machine, but where life's wheels grate dry, happiness is a good oil. -J. Arthur Thomson

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 25th, 2020, 8:54 am

Kitty wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 5:41 am
ToddHW wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 5:09 am
Sonia knows like 123 languages and can tell you authoritatively how things are pronounced, including variations for place and year and social status and rank.
Wayne, please take anything Todd says about me with a grain of salt.

Sonia2
Please, Sonia, I believe EVERYTHING our great and glorious leader says and I will be in FREQUENT contact with with our resident polyglot. :wink:
Wayne
Food may be the best fuel for the machine, but where life's wheels grate dry, happiness is a good oil. -J. Arthur Thomson

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 25th, 2020, 9:08 am

Polygot! That is what I was trying to say in Tom Thumb when I mispronounced your name: Dolly Polly!

(Oh dear. Methinks I might be in a heap of trouble now....)

Thanks, Todd

MManolakes

Post by MManolakes » July 26th, 2020, 8:16 am

I'd like to claim Callicles.

Mike

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 26th, 2020, 8:47 am

Thank you.

Todd

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 27th, 2020, 1:59 pm

Todd,

Should the "Prologue" and "Act the First" be sent a separate files?

Wayne
Wayne

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 27th, 2020, 2:00 pm

No, they are in the same file.

Thanks, Todd

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 27th, 2020, 2:43 pm

:thumbs:
Wayne

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 27th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Hi,

Here are the Stage Directions. It is amazing how long it takes to do five minutes of recording, especially when trying to work with Greek names. :shock: Also, I couldn't find anything in the instructions, but I added at the end of the play the kind of thing that one puts in at the end of a book, so if you need it it is there, and if not, you know what to do with it. Also, I guess I am assuming that I did that part right.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_1_128kb.mp3

Time: 4:33

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_2_128kb.mp3

Time: 4:22

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_3_128kb.mp3

Time: 2:25

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_4_128kb.mp3

Time: 5:13

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_5_128kb.mp3

Time: 2:31

Wayne
Wayne

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 28th, 2020, 9:16 am

thank you for the fast turn-around, especially for the stage directions. :thumbs:
It is amazing how long it takes to do five minutes of recording, especially when trying to work with Greek names. :shock:
indeed, it takes so long because you have to meticulously browse through the text to find them all. Often quite tricky. And the Greek names indeed are not easy. I see you went for the "anglicized" version, no problem with that, if that is easier for you. :) Totally acceptable.

I have a few small corrections still to note, but not many, considering how difficult the text was:

Act 1:
> at about 1:55: please insert your own voice credit here: "Stage directions read by Wayne Cooke"
> at about 2:08: please repeat the title here, before launching into the play: "Trinummus, the three pieces of money"
> at 3:35: (p. 8) "he points to the house of Charmides" - you say the name here, I think it doesn't have to include the name because it can well be put at the end of the speech

Act 2:
> at 0:50: (p. 20) "he points to the house of Charmides" - also here, say "he" instead of the name. The name should only be included if it's at the beginning of the speech
> at about 0:56: (p. 21) missed line "he points to the house of Charmides" - definitely this sentence is your Nemesis :lol:
> at 2:54: (p. 28) "he removes to a distance" - also here, please do not include the name, but say "he" (also "to a distance")
> at 3:37: (p. 31) "points to the house which he has sold to Callicles" - again, please remove the name in the beginning

Act 3:
> at 1:49: (p. 39) "Stasimus" - you always called him "Sta-sigh-mus" but here "Sta-see-mus". It's best to stay consistent throughout

Act 4:
> at about 0:34: (p. 44) missed line: "he retires aside"
> at about 2:50: (p. 54) missed line: "exit"

Act 5:
> at 1:17: (p. 64) "Lysiteles, going up to Charmides" - here we need to include the name
> at 2:27: at the end, please also repeat the name of the translator "translated by Henry Thomas Riley"

thank you for tackling this !

Sonia

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 28th, 2020, 11:42 am

Sonia,

Thank you for your work and patience. :D

Here are the new ones:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_1_128kb.mp3

Time: 4:43

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_2_128kb.mp3

Time 4:24

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_3_128kb.mp3

Time: 2:25

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_4_128kb.mp3

Time: 5:23

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/trinummus_directions_5_128kb.mp3

Time: 2;34

A few of those I can't figure out how I missed them, but with some where I put in the name when I didn't have to, in a previous selection, I didn't put them in when I should have, so I guess I put them in whenever I thought there might be some questions because in the last one, I didn't think there would be a question, but the DPL said there was, so......

"And the Greek names indeed are not easy. I see you went for the "anglicized" version, no problem with that, if that is easier for you. :) Totally acceptable." I guess I should have taken Todd's advice and asked for help. I spent a long time on YouTube and Google trying to figure out how to pronounce them. Most of the sites were using the Greek alphabet and that wasn't much help. The one I finally used, out of desperation and frustration said that Greek was basically phonetic, that all "i's" were 'long "i''s and the emphasis was put on the next to the last syllable unless that one was a 'long' syllable, then it was the one before it. It also said "'what ever a 'long' syllable is", so I gave it my best shot. It probably would have been easier, for me, if the names had been written in Greek. But I did find some of the names on Google/YouTube and got a couple of the pronunciations there. Next time I'll know better and ask. :wink:

Oh well, I tried. :roll:
Wayne

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 28th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Thank you.

Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 29th, 2020, 8:10 am

Kalamareader wrote:
July 28th, 2020, 11:42 am
all "i's" were 'long "i''s and the emphasis was put on the next to the last syllable unless that one was a 'long' syllable, then it was the one before it.
sounds good. The only thing I thought was "angliziced" is that you pronounce the 'i' like the English 'i' (meaning 'eye'), while the Greek 'i' would usually be pronounced like the English 'ee'. As an example, a guy called "Philus" would be pronounced like the English word "feel", not "file". But hey ! I'm not complaining, as long as the names are all pronounced the same way, it's totally fine. For our English speaking audience this is probably even easier accessible since the names already sound strange enough :lol: In many of our Greek plays we the readers were using the same option on how to pronounce the names. So it's totally ok.

So no worries ! It's all PL ok now. :) Great job, thank you so much.

Sonia

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 29th, 2020, 12:21 pm

When I looked at the MW, I noticed that Act I was under 86db (85.9 to be exact). I have NO idea how that happened. Do you want me to increase it and resubmit it? I am so sorry. That is a problem I do not usually have (in fact I think this is the first one in over 200).

Wayne
Wayne

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 29th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Don't need to amplify. I have to adjust the volumes of all the parts when I merge them when editing.

Thanks, Todd