OPEN[PLAY]The Wonder by Centlivre - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Hi Todd,

I would like to clim the “stage directions” if I might. If I get them, I have a couple of particular questions on a couple of points. Should I PM you with them?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
To accept a place in society-not always the place one desires; to do well the work that is near at hand-not always the work one wishes; to love and to cherish the work, and to forget oneself in the needs of others, all that is not always easy. ~JAW

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 11th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Hi Todd,

I would like to clim the “stage directions” if I might. If I get them, I have a couple of particular questions on a couple of points. Should I PM you with them?

Thanks,

Wayne
Please post in the forum so that others may benefit from the Q and A.

Don't know if there is a page somewhere about Stage Directions. Here are some guidelines Sonia and I (mostly Sonia) have provided in the forum at times.

*You read the intro and outro words for each act. The words to say are in the first posting.

*Please leave at least 4-5 seconds of silence (more is better) between each "chunk" you have to read. I will have to copy/paste each bit out of everyone's original file and paste it in the correct spot in the masterfile - and I start with your file when making the master. So it's helpful if you leave enough cutting out/cutting in space.

*You need to read carefully through the text, to find all the stage directions, so basically everything that is not being read by a character. (example: "closes door" or "laughs", "scene 3", Enters and Exits, things like that). Often they are in brackets, but maybe not always.

*If you read a character-description right at the beginning of the character's speech, you need to read the name of the character as well. While when the direction shows up in the middle of a speech, you don't have to read the name.

***example: John (putting down the book): Now listen to me... (closing the door)...I need to tell you a secret.

***Here you would have to read all that is underlined. So the name in the beginning, but not repeated in the middle.

*As far as Dramatis personae go, use the MW characters and descriptive text - the sideways Dramatic Personae page in the source text is too hard to read. And yes, please read the entire characteristics, for example: "Satan, the great devil, read by..." -- then 5 seconds pause for editing -- "Pug, the less devil, read by ..." -- 5 seconds pause -- "Iniquity, the vice, read by ..." and so on. This is to make sure we have a complete set of voice credits, just in case one of the readers vanishes without handing in their voice credit. Also don't forget to read "Stage Directions, read by_______" We need your voice credit as well.

* Don't do the DLHIE or whatever abbreviations are shown for where stage entrances and exits are - no idea how some of them translate! Just "exit" or "enter" is enough

*If in doubt, just record it - easier for me to cut than to track you down when I discover I need something. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 11th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Thanks for those helps. Having done some plays, I have figured out what the letters mean, and in some instances I think that they seem kind of important. But, of course I will follow the director’s directions. :D
Wayne
To accept a place in society-not always the place one desires; to do well the work that is near at hand-not always the work one wishes; to love and to cherish the work, and to forget oneself in the needs of others, all that is not always easy. ~JAW

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 11th, 2020, 3:36 pm

If you think any of the directional info will be important to a listener (rather than a viewer), then feel free to include them.

Thanks, Todd

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 13th, 2020, 12:07 pm

ToddHW wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 3:36 pm
If you think any of the directional info will be important to a listener (rather than a viewer), then feel free to include them.

Thanks, Todd
As I was reading through this again, I was wondering about the pronunciation of some of the names, especially Briton (Britain, like Great Britain, or Bri [with short 'i']-tone or like Brighton), Vasquez (with accent on the first syllable or on the last ? and be sure not to pronounce the "u") and Violante (I would think Vee-o-lawn-tay with the accent on the next to the last syllable). What does the boss say?
Wayne

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 13th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Also, one thing that seemed to be missing in this version is any description of who/what the Characters are. In researching, trying to find a list of the Characters somewhere I found a ebook for sale on Amazon which has a short description of the Characters to give the listener a feeling of what is going on in the play. There is a 'disclaimer' on the page listing which says: "This publication is in the Canadian Public Domain, but may be under copyright in some countries". I assume if it is in PD in Canada, it is here too, correct? If all is well, with your permission, I will use those descriptions in the intro to our play.

Wayne
Wayne

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 13th, 2020, 12:44 pm

I thought I might as well post the descriptions from the source above:

Don Lopez, a Grandee of Portugal

Don Felix, his son, in love with Violante

Frederick, A merchant

Don Pedro, Father of Violante

Col Britton, a Scotchman (notice different spelling in the original)

Gibby, Col Britton's footman

Lissardo, a Servant to Felix

Donna Violante, Designed for a Nun by her Father, in love with Felix

Donna Isabella, Sister to Felix

Inis, Isabella's maid

Flora, a maid to Violante

Aguazil and the servant, no additional information.

It also notes that the location of the play is Lisbon.
Wayne

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 13th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 12:07 pm
ToddHW wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Thanks, Todd
As I was reading through this again, I was wondering about the pronunciation of some of the names, especially Briton (Britain, like Great Britain, or Bri [with short 'i']-tone or like Brighton), Vasquez (with accent on the first syllable or on the last ? and be sure not to pronounce the "u") and Violante (I would think Vee-o-lawn-tay with the accent on the next to the last syllable). What does the boss say?
I very honestly leave choice of accents and characterizations in ANY part up to the reader. One of the key pleasures of running a play here at Librivox is finding out what the various readers have decided is right. Usually some unexpected things, and always different than I had originally pictured the play on stage myself. So that the completed play is not my vision of what should be, but a truly new and exciting collaborative creation.

I do NOT care if people pronounce other character's names (or place names) differently from each other - I treat that as people just having an accent, or using pet name pronunciations, or something like that. But I would like to have people use the same consistent pronunciation of names throughout each file.

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 13th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
July 13th, 2020, 12:28 pm
Also, one thing that seemed to be missing in this version is any description of who/what the Characters are. In researching, trying to find a list of the Characters somewhere I found a ebook for sale on Amazon which has a short description of the Characters to give the listener a feeling of what is going on in the play. There is a 'disclaimer' on the page listing which says: "This publication is in the Canadian Public Domain, but may be under copyright in some countries". I assume if it is in PD in Canada, it is here too, correct? If all is well, with your permission, I will use those descriptions in the intro to our play.

Wayne
Public Domain is a minefield. US has different rules than anywhere else - something published before 1924 is PD. Which means you can have PD stuff from a living author. In other countries, it is author's death date + 50 years. or 70 years. Or other. Oh, and if a new edition has changed anything - like adding extra material, modernizing spelling - then it is the date of that edition than matters, along with the editor's death date.

Thanks, Todd

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 13th, 2020, 3:50 pm

OK, will do. Should I read each of the Character's names at the beginning of the play with a pause for the reader to add his name?
Wayne

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 13th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Todd,

I am so sorry. I just reread the list of 'instructions' you sent me and many of the above questions are answered therein. :oops:

Wayne
Wayne

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader » July 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Kalamareader wrote:
July 11th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Hi Todd,

I would like to claim the “stage directions” if I might. If I get them, I have a couple of particular questions on a couple of points. Should I PM you with them?

Thanks,

Wayne
Well, here is Act 1. We'll see how it went. :D

Wayne
Wayne

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » July 14th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 15th, 2020, 2:04 am

Availle wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 5:14 pm
Here comes Inis, with a rather mysterious disappearance at the end. :hmm:
:shock: indeed, she decides to use the ominous back stairs and vanishes forever. How uncanny. Who knows what happened to her there. :?

In any case, all the lines are in and perfectly done. PL ok. :thumbs: I'm looking forward to our verbal fight in Act 2. :mrgreen: Your Inis seems a little more composed than I planned my Flora. This will be fun.

Thank you

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 15th, 2020, 2:06 am

Kalamareader wrote:
July 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Well, here is Act 1. We'll see how it went. :D
can you post the link please ?

Thank you

Sonia