FULL[PLAY]The Wonder by Centlivre - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25100
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 26th, 2020, 10:09 am

excellent job in character study here, Adrian. I love the slight sneer in Frederic's voice. Gives him a good upper-class vibe without making him too haughty. He is the voice of reason after all in the final act. :thumbs:

I did find a few missed lines though, and some name confusion in the first act, I am very sorry about that, as it was a big part you recorded in vain now :(

Act 1:
> at about 1:27: (p. 6) missed line: "Lissardo ! from whence came you ?"

> at about 1:38: (p. 6) six missing lines, the whole letter that he reads, starting with "Dear Frederic" and ending with "Ha ! Colonel Briton."

> at about 2:11: (p. 7) missed lines: "Put the horses, which that honest fellow will show you, into my stable; do you hear ! and feed them well."

> from 3:07 till the end: (p. 19-23): I am so sorry to have to tell you this, but these are all Felix's lines, while you are reading for Frederic. So they need to be cut. :?

Act 2:
> at 0:34: (p. 28) "what noise is that" - this is also a line for Felix, and can be cut

Act 4:
> at 0:31: (p. 45) between "why do you ask me" and "he is a good harmless fellow" - could you leave more space, as we need to cut Felix' speech in between

> at 0:38: (p. 45) between "the colonel lodges in my house" and "I knew him" - here you can cut the lengthy pause, as it's the same speech

> at about 1:02: (p. 45) missed line: "Colonel, I began to think I had lost you."

thank you

Sonia

adrianstephens
Posts: 1375
Joined: August 27th, 2019, 5:06 am
Location: Cambridge UK
Contact:

Post by adrianstephens » September 26th, 2020, 10:54 am

Kitty wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 10:09 am
excellent job in character study here, Adrian. I love the slight sneer in Frederic's voice. Gives him a good upper-class vibe without making him too haughty. He is the voice of reason after all in the final act. :thumbs:

I did find a few missed lines though, and some name confusion in the first act, I am very sorry about that, as it was a big part you recorded in vain now :(



thank you

Sonia
I enjoyed playing the supercilious block. That's me to a tee.
Oops. I think I scored the full set of wrong things to do! I must admit I was confused about which part I was reading - they both began with F, and that's just too hard for me!
Sorry to make so much work for you.

Act 1:
at 1:32 > at about 1:27: (p. 6) missed line: "Lissardo ! from whence came you ?"

1:53 > at about 1:38: (p. 6) six missing lines, the whole letter that he reads, starting with "Dear Frederic" and ending with "Ha ! Colonel Briton."

2:59 > at about 2:11: (p. 7) missed lines: "Put the horses, which that honest fellow will show you, into my stable; do you hear ! and feed them well."

,snip) > from 3:07 till the end: (p. 19-23): I am so sorry to have to tell you this, but these are all Felix's lines, while you are reading for Frederic. So they need to be cut. :?

Act 2:
> at 0:34: (p. 28) "what noise is that" - this is also a line for Felix, and can be cut

Act 4:
> at 0:31: (p. 45) between "why do you ask me" and "he is a good harmless fellow" - could you leave more space, as we need to cut Felix' speech in between

0:42 > at 0:38: (p. 45) between "the colonel lodges in my house" and "I knew him" - here you can cut the lengthy pause, as it's the same speech

1:06 > at about 1:02: (p. 45) missed line: "Colonel, I began to think I had lost you."

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wondersecret_frederick_1_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wondersecret_frederick_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wondersecret_frederick_4_128kb.mp3

Thanks,
Adrian
My Librivox-related YouTube series starts here: Part 0: Introduction. https://youtu.be/pMHYycgA5VU
...
Part 15: Case Study (Poem) https://youtu.be/41sr_VC1Qxo
Part 16: Case Study 2 (Dramatic Reading) https://youtu.be/GBIAd469vnM

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25100
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 26th, 2020, 11:18 am

adrianstephens wrote:
September 26th, 2020, 10:54 am
Oops. I think I scored the full set of wrong things to do!
I must admit it was an interesting mix of PL notes I had to write this time :lol:

thank you for the precise new time-stamps, and all is now PL ok :)

Sonia

Salvationist
Posts: 696
Joined: December 22nd, 2015, 7:46 pm
Location: North America

Post by Salvationist » September 28th, 2020, 4:13 pm

May I read Vasquez?
Salvationist


ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11950
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » September 29th, 2020, 6:55 am

Drat. I was thinking of running more plays by Centlivre since Archive.org has a three volume set of all her works.

Alas, they are old enough that they have f's for s's and other old style things in the text that make reading and PL'ing too difficult.

Again, drat.

Todd

jasonb
Posts: 724
Joined: July 25th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Post by jasonb » October 1st, 2020, 12:58 am

Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11950
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » October 1st, 2020, 5:33 am

Thank you.

I think she is using her talents for good, so we use the word "clever" instead?

Todd

jasonb
Posts: 724
Joined: July 25th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Post by jasonb » October 2nd, 2020, 12:14 am

I will admit, that I only read starting with Felix came into the picture. I will not go to read the whole play until after I have done my lines so as not to be influenced by anything that happens when Felix is not there.
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11950
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » October 2nd, 2020, 3:49 am

I haven't read it all ahead of recording either, so I don't know either. Like you, I also like being surprised as I do my readings - only when I assemble the play do I hear the other parts and find out what I missed.

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11950
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » October 2nd, 2020, 6:21 am

ToddHW wrote:
September 29th, 2020, 6:55 am
Drat. I was thinking of running more plays by Centlivre since Archive.org has a three volume set of all her works.

Alas, they are old enough that they have f's for s's and other old style things in the text that make reading and PL'ing too difficult.

Again, drat.

Todd
Gutenberg has three more Centlivre plays in normal text! Hooray.

Thanks, Todd

benderca
Posts: 1525
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » October 2nd, 2020, 4:18 pm

ToddHW wrote:
October 2nd, 2020, 6:21 am

Gutenberg has three more Centlivre plays in normal text! Hooray.

Thanks, Todd
Yay! This play touches on a lot of themes from a perspective which seems quite progressive for the early 1700s: gender roles, prerequisites for a healthy relationship, honor, trust, friendship, to name a few. Plus members of both sexes challenge parental authority and inheritance laws. Susannah died at age 43 - so young...

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 25100
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » October 4th, 2020, 6:02 am

jasonb wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 12:58 am
My first act:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wondersecret_felix_1_128kb.mp3
Devious woman!
it's totally not what you think, Jason, your Violante is innocent, no need to be so jealous :mrgreen: you play the jealous lover to perfection, by the way :thumbs: and sorry for the delay in feedback, I am currently totally swamped by PL jobs :shock: I wonder what happened that so many came in at the same time.

But it was very enjoyable to listen to your part and I already look forward to the rest and the final dialogues assembled. :9:

Totally PL ok, thanks

Sonia

benderca
Posts: 1525
Joined: June 24th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Post by benderca » October 4th, 2020, 10:41 am

Kitty wrote:
October 4th, 2020, 6:02 am
jasonb wrote:
October 1st, 2020, 12:58 am
My first act:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wondersecret_felix_1_128kb.mp3
Devious woman!
it's totally not what you think, Jason, your Violante is innocent, no need to be so jealous :mrgreen: you play the jealous lover to perfection, by the way :thumbs: and sorry for the delay in feedback, I am currently totally swamped by PL jobs :shock: I wonder what happened that so many came in at the same time.

But it was very enjoyable to listen to your part and I already look forward to the rest and the final dialogues assembled. :9:

Totally PL ok, thanks

Sonia
...just wait until I catch Flora in your closet, Felix - my turn to get jealous!

Violante

Post Reply