[COMPLETE] New Chronicles of Rebecca by Kate Douglas Wiggin-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Twinkle88 wrote: March 1st, 2021, 11:56 am
bhavya wrote: February 27th, 2021, 4:12 am
Twinkle88 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 6:26 pm PL note for Chapter 6:

@ 19:59, 20:05, & 20:15: I think the "hip, hip, hurrah" lines are too loud. If you look at them in Audacity, you can see they are clipping. Could you lower the volume on these so it matches the rest of the chapter? (And maybe even lower the Edgewood Minister's lines right before each one, too, a little.)

One easy way to do this and ensure that it will match the volume of the rest of the chapter is to use Audacity's compression tool. If you haven't used compression before, this is how I recommend people apply it:

(The trick to the compressor tool is to temporarily add some extra seconds of silence at the very beginning of the recording. Otherwise, the beginning of the recording will have a muted, fade-in effect -- not sure why this happens.)
  1. Click and drag to highlight the first 15 seconds of the chapter
  2. Hit Ctrl + C to copy this selection
  3. Now click in the area at very beginning of the track (to the left of all the waveforms)
  4. Hit Ctrl + V to paste those first 15 seconds
  5. Now hit the Silence audio selection button (or hit Ctrl + L if you have trouble finding it)
  6. Hit Ctrl + A to highlight the entire chapter
  7. Click Effect > Compressor...
  8. Next to Threshold, move the slider to about -16 dB
  9. Next to Noise Floor, move the slider to -40 dB
  10. Next to Ratio, move the slider to 2:1
  11. Next to Attack Time, move the slider to 0.10 secs
  12. Next to Release Time, move the slider to 1.0 secs
  13. Make sure the boxes next to Make-up gain for 0dB after compressing and Compress based on Peaks are NOT checked
  14. Click OK
  15. Now click and drag to highlight those first 15 seconds of silence
  16. Hit the Delete key

But overall I loved the chapter! :) I think the amount of space between lines was great, and all the other characters' volumes sounded good to me.
I'll edit this today and send it back to you! I'm sorry I couldn't get back earlier, my laptop was unfortunately under repair.
Hi, Bhavya!

That's okay! I hope your laptop is working well again!

I asked for some additional help with the editing since I hadn't heard from you in while. Chapter 6 is now assigned to JayKitty76, so please leave the Chapter 6 PL notes for her to edit.
No worries :) I'll have one of the chapters assigned to me ready by this week
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

JayKitty76 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 5:27 pm I could edit a couple more chapters, Twinkle, if that's okay with you. (Trying to do one or two at a time so I don't overcommit myself.)
Bhavya let me know that she won't be able to edit any more of the chapters. Do you want to take on all the remaining ones, or would you like some help with them? If so, I'll put a post in Listeners & Editors Wanted.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Twinkle88 wrote: March 6th, 2021, 3:27 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 5:27 pm I could edit a couple more chapters, Twinkle, if that's okay with you. (Trying to do one or two at a time so I don't overcommit myself.)
Bhavya let me know that she won't be able to edit any more of the chapters. Do you want to take on all the remaining ones, or would you like some help with them? If so, I'll put a post in Listeners & Editors Wanted.
I could take the rest, but I might not be the quickest at editing (1-2 months?) It’s your call. If you want it done faster, you can go ahead and advertise for an additional editor :wink:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Okay. I'll assign you to the Dramatis Personae and Chronicle 11 -- Bhavya had some PL notes left on that one. And I'll post in Listeners & Editors Wanted to see if someone out there would be interested in doing the remaining three chronicles.
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Hi I am happy to edit the final three chronicles for you just let me know
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Twinkle88 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 11:30 am Okay. I'll assign you to the Dramatis Personae and Chronicle 11 -- Bhavya had some PL notes left on that one. And I'll post in Listeners & Editors Wanted to see if someone out there would be interested in doing the remaining three chronicles.
Thank you!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I'm not exactly sure of the science behind Audacity's compression tool, Twinkle, but I followed your instructions and so here's chapter 6 ready for spot PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/newchronicles__06_wiggin_128kb.mp3

(Sorry, I have the habit of using a lot of words to say very little :lol: )
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

If you are still looking for an editor, I'm willing to try Chapter 2. I have edited one multi-voice project - a play - so I think I can do it acceptably.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

wib66 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 1:00 pm Hi I am happy to edit the final three chronicles for you just let me know
sjmarky wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:34 am If you are still looking for an editor, I'm willing to try Chapter 2. I have edited one multi-voice project - a play - so I think I can do it acceptably.
Okay, thank you very much!

How about we split up the workload? Michele, I'll assign you to Chapters 5 and 9. Mark, I'll sign you up for Chapter 2. Let me know if you'd rather do this differently.
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

JayKitty76 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 5:02 pm I'm not exactly sure of the science behind Audacity's compression tool, Twinkle, but I followed your instructions and so here's chapter 6 ready for spot PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/newchronicles__06_wiggin_128kb.mp3

(Sorry, I have the habit of using a lot of words to say very little :lol: )
Haha, great! Thank you very much!
Twinkle88

Post by Twinkle88 »

Chronicle 6 is spot PL OK! :thumbs:
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Twinkle88 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 3:14 pm Chronicle 6 is spot PL OK! :thumbs:
Thanks!
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

That’s fine I’ll work on chapter 2 and then take it from there.

My website
My Librivox reader page
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Twinkle88 wrote: March 9th, 2021, 3:07 pm
wib66 wrote: March 8th, 2021, 1:00 pm Hi I am happy to edit the final three chronicles for you just let me know
sjmarky wrote: March 9th, 2021, 10:34 am If you are still looking for an editor, I'm willing to try Chapter 2. I have edited one multi-voice project - a play - so I think I can do it acceptably.
Okay, thank you very much!

How about we split up the workload? Michele, I'll assign you to Chapters 5 and 9. Mark, I'll sign you up for Chapter 2. Let me know if you'd rather do this differently.
Thats fine by me thanks
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

My website
My Librivox reader page