OPEN[PLAY]Phormio by Terence - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone » June 13th, 2020, 1:30 pm

Kitty wrote:
June 13th, 2020, 11:10 am
:lol: in the final act, Chremes does nothing else than whine his way through the scenes. Nicely done, Alan, nothing missing. PL ok. And that concludes your career in the Terence plays now. Thank you so much for all the parts you played in this classical series.
Thanks Sonia 😺 I now seem to have run out of dramatic roles so I hope there may be some new plays in the offing!!
alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose

Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 » June 13th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Kitty wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:41 am
Ambsweet13 wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 2:37 pm
Act 1 for the Stage Directions! :D
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/phormio_stagedirections_1_128kb.mp3 (7:11)
a very good job, Ambsweet :) Is this your first attempt at stage directions ? Well, kudos, you had all the directions correct judging accurately where to include the name of the character and where not :thumbs:

However, and you probably didn't know this, the cast list is missing, which is also the job of the narrator, in case some readers vanish without recording their voice credit.

> at about 0:27: please also insert "Dramatis Personae", followed by all the characters, each time with full description and "read by". Example: "Demipho, aged Athenian, brother, read by..." and so on, the whole list.

Actually, most of the voice credits are in at this point, so I see no reason for you to add them all. Please only record those where the readers in the MW have not handed in sections yet: Davus, a servant, read by / Cratinus, Advocate... / Crito, Advocate... / Antipho, son of Demipho... / Phormio, a Parasite...

Also include your own voice credit at the end: "Stage directions, read by Ambsweet13". Then add: "Scene.—Athens; before the houses of Demipho, Chremes, and Dorio."

> also the volume is a little low, you could maybe amplify it all with 3 or 4 dB.

Please wait for Todd's reply before you reupload, there may be some other parts missing, I only need confirmation:

Question for Todd: This time, you did not specify if you wanted Subject, Title of the Play, Summary and Prologue included. :hmm: So far she has recorded none of these.

Thanks ! And don't worry, only the first Act is so tricky with special things, the other acts will be straight-forward, and seeing that you know well how to say which stage direction, I think you will have no problems whatsoever with the remaining acts. 8-)

Sonia
Thank you for the PL notes! I left the mic that I used to record this in my other house, so this will be coming Wednesday or later along with 2-5. I tried to record the changes with my laptop mic but the change was drastic. (the laptop mic picks up more background noise, but less mic sounds; the headset mic more mic sound, less background noise)
A.M.B. :roll:
Readers wanted for The Young Idea
Current Solo Project Cape Cod

dlantz

Post by dlantz » June 13th, 2020, 4:42 pm

May I read Cratinus' line. If that's okay, should I also include "Cratinus, advocate, read by Dave Lantz", or just "Dave Lantz" because Ambsweet has already recorded the first part? Thanks for your consideration. (I shouldn't be able to mess up one line as badly as I did the stage directions in "The Double Dealer".) Dave

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » June 13th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Thank you.

You should read the entire voice credit. I prefer to have them in the character reader's voice if possible, but having the narrator read them as well 1) helps me know where to put them in (as replacement for what the narrator said) and 2) handles the cases where the reader did not get the entire credit.

Thanks, Todd

dlantz

Post by dlantz » June 16th, 2020, 8:23 am

Cratinus, Act 2: length 0:28, size 452.81 KB

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/phormio_cratinus_2_128kb.mp3

All corrections gratefully accepted. Dave

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 17th, 2020, 12:51 am

dlantz wrote:
June 16th, 2020, 8:23 am
Cratinus, Act 2: length 0:28, size 452.81 KB
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/phormio_cratinus_2_128kb.mp3
I always wonder why some parts are so excessively small. :hmm: The dialogue in this scene could have been fleshed out by the author with more speech to the advocates. Well, however this may be, you did the most out of your part :thumbs: Perfectly PL ok.

Thank you

Sonia

dlantz

Post by dlantz » June 17th, 2020, 11:50 am

I wanted to make sure that I could finish a part correctly before asking: May I claim Crito (Act 2) as well? I would try to use a voice distinguishable from Cratinus. Thanks for your consideration. Dave

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 17th, 2020, 12:37 pm

dlantz wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 11:50 am
May I claim Crito (Act 2) as well? I would try to use a voice distinguishable from Cratinus.
the problem is they are both in the same act, even in the same scene. We prefer not to confuse the listeners too much. :? But let's wait for Todd's final verdict ;)

There have been orphaned parts in some other plays right now, if you want to look here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21618 maybe one of them is to your liking (they are bigger parts too :mrgreen: )

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » June 17th, 2020, 1:22 pm

What Sonia said. I prefer not to have people in multiple roles at all, and certainly not in the same act.

Thank you for your interest though!

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » June 20th, 2020, 9:43 am

Phormio awaits in the MW. The script says that at the end of Act 4 he changes persona in the alley so I changed voice as well a bit then. Hope it isn't too confusing.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 21st, 2020, 2:02 am

ToddHW wrote:
June 20th, 2020, 9:43 am
Phormio awaits in the MW. The script says that at the end of Act 4 he changes persona in the alley so I changed voice as well a bit then. Hope it isn't too confusing.
how devious and plotting :shock: I love the sneering voice you made throughout :lol: and I think Geta's worshipping of Phormia is quite warranted. He is the prototype of all of Molière's Sganarelles. Well done, Todd :thumbs:

Acts 4 and 5 are straight PL ok.

One small error in Act 2 though:

> at 10:22: "If you use her in any other manner than is befitting a free-born woman" - you say "in any matter that is befitting", which is exactly the contrary ;)

Thanks

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » June 21st, 2020, 6:16 am

Phormio Act 2 fixed, ready for spot PL.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 22nd, 2020, 12:51 am

ToddHW wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 6:16 am