COMPLETE[PLAY]Engaged by W. S. Gilbert - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MichaelMaggs wrote: April 29th, 2020, 4:46 amI think you're right. Also, quite a lot of reposing on bosoms. :lol:
yes the actors are allowed to profit from the occasion :mrgreen: All acts now PL ok, thanks Michael :thumbs:

Sonia
skypigeon

Post by skypigeon »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_belvawney_3_128kb.mp3

Please advise if levels are OK on this one--save for a couple of impassioned outbursts ;) I think I kept them tamed, if anything I may have erred on too low this time.

Also two Obadiah "chants" at start because I'm not sure which--or either--of them would work best for your needs.

This has been fun--I've been listening to the other parts--there are marvelous performers on this board! :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

skypigeon wrote: April 29th, 2020, 5:40 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_belvawney_3_128kb.mp3
Please advise if levels are OK on this one--save for a couple of impassioned outbursts ;) I think I kept them tamed, if anything I may have erred on too low this time.
Also two Obadiah "chants" at start because I'm not sure which--or either--of them would work best for your needs.
:lol: the sobbing at the end is priceless :thumbs: I'm sure Todd will find a suitable place to include this.

As for "chanting" at the beginning, this was meant as you can recite it as a poem but with a sort of sing-song in your voice. You don't need to really invent an elaborate tune. It's also easier to merge for Todd if a chorus is chanting rather than singing (some may be faster than others) I like both your versions and they are totally fine and acceptable to me.

Only one small snippet to make here:

> at 1:23-1:32: (p. 74) some lines are repeated here, starting with "but to the other" and ending with "I cannot describe in words". Is there a version you prefer ? you can cut out the other version then, so there will be no confusion (it was confusing to me until I found out that the lines were scrambled up)

Excellent job again and I love your "impassioned outbursts" :mrgreen: Belvawney is really a sleezy opportunist, but somehow lovable. I enjoyed the performance.

Now that you "took the plunge" I hope I'll hear you in many other plays in future :9:

thanks

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Act 1 of Angus is in the MW for ye to PL. I rrrreally turrrned down the rolling-rrrrrs in favor of what dialect Mrrrr Gilberrrt wrrote in; seee wha ye ken o this.

Thanks, Todd
skypigeon

Post by skypigeon »

Kitty wrote: April 30th, 2020, 10:03 am
Only one small snippet to make here:

> at 1:23-1:32: (p. 74) some lines are repeated here, starting with "but to the other" and ending with "I cannot describe in words". Is there a version you prefer ? you can cut out the other version then, so there will be no confusion (it was confusing to me until I found out that the lines were scrambled up)
My bad entirely--there were a couple places where I redid things after I didn't like the first version--then promptly discovered you can't just go back and "record over" segments in Audacity--thought I caught all of that, guess not :(

Here's the fix:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_belvawney_3_128kb.mp3

Thank you for your kindness, ma'am; I'll be back! 8-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

skypigeon wrote: April 30th, 2020, 3:42 pmMy bad entirely--there were a couple places where I redid things after I didn't like the first version--then promptly discovered you can't just go back and "record over" segments in Audacity--thought I caught all of that, guess not :(
ah ok, yes I understand. What I do to avoid this is record the edited sentences in a new Audacity window, clean it all up there and amplify as needed and then I copy/paste the snippets into the masterfile at the spot needed. Then I listen to the sentence before and after once again and see whether the tone and volume fits, maybe adjusting once more to make it better sounding.

And Belvawney is now PL ok !

@Todd: will listen to your rustic Highland lad this afternoon. I guess I need some breakfast before tackling that one. :mrgreen:

Sonia
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

jennlea wrote: April 26th, 2020, 5:41 am

My eyes read it as 'noodle' and now I feel like the silly one :lol:
Oh well, glad it worked still!

Here is the file with the missing line at 5:30:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_minnie_2_128kb.mp3
Hi Kitty!

I wasn't sure if you saw that I posted Act 2 again with the missing line :D

Should have Act 3 done soon!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: April 30th, 2020, 12:55 pmAct 1 of Angus is in the MW for ye to PL. I rrrreally turrrned down the rolling-rrrrrs in favor of what dialect Mrrrr Gilberrrt wrrote in; seee wha ye ken o this.
gude job me lad, dunno ken wha' coul' be dun better :thumbs:

there's ain wee note for ye though:

> at 2:50: (p. 43) "not if takin' care and thought" - you say "if not taking care and thought", which is somehow the opposite ;)

thank 'ee

Mrs MacF.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jennlea wrote: May 1st, 2020, 6:16 am I wasn't sure if you saw that I posted Act 2 again with the missing line :D
:shock: shriek ! no I didn't see this post, I'm so sorry. You should have notified me immediately. Thank you, your file is now PL ok :)

Sonia
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Here is Minnie for Act 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_minnie_3_128kb.mp3

I had a listen to Belvawney's chants and tried to match the pacing for the first two lines. I can always redo if they don't work.

Also, I added a little sob at 1:22 just in case it is wanted.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

There, there now. (Pat, pat.) It will all be okay. You'll see.

Thank you, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jennlea wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 6:27 am Here is Minnie for Act 3:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/engaged_minnie_3_128kb.mp3
I had a listen to Belvawney's chants and tried to match the pacing for the first two lines. I can always redo if they don't work.
I actually don't think that Minnie was singing the song with Belvawny, I think he sang it all alone. But I let our editor decide on the final merging or not, it's good to have the lines, thank you. (edit: ah yes, I see Todd asked for those lines, so all is well)

And Minnie outs herself a perfect little mercenary money-bag huntress here :mrgreen: nicely done :thumbs: all PL ok, thank you Jenn :) and see you in the next one hopefully.

Sonia
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Kitty wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:23 am
And Minnie outs herself a perfect little mercenary money-bag huntress here :mrgreen: nicely done :thumbs: all PL ok, thank you Jenn :) and see you in the next one hopefully.

Thanks, Sonia! I believe I’m playing your sister in The Money-Spinner so I’ll see you over there soon :D
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jennlea wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:36 am Thanks, Sonia! I believe I’m playing your sister in The Money-Spinner so I’ll see you over there soon :D
yes I know, so cool. :9: the poor young sister though, she is a bit in the shadows of her older sister and a tad jealous, methinks

you'll do great

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: May 1st, 2020, 8:53 am
ToddHW wrote: April 30th, 2020, 12:55 pmAct 1 of Angus is in the MW for ye to PL. I rrrreally turrrned down the rolling-rrrrrs in favor of what dialect Mrrrr Gilberrrt wrrote in; seee wha ye ken o this.
gude job me lad, dunno ken wha' coul' be dun better :thumbs:

there's ain wee note for ye though:

> at 2:50: (p. 43) "not if takin' care and thought" - you say "if not taking care and thought", which is somehow the opposite ;)

thank 'ee

Mrs MacF.
I hangs me head in shame at me trivial error of that drat'd engleesh gramma. New file uploaded for ye to spot PuL.

Thank ye, Angus