[COMPLETE] [DramReading] The Story Girl by L. M. Montgomery - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

The Story Girl by L.M. Montgomery (1874 - 1942).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-story-girl-dramatic-reading-by-lucy-maud-montgomery/
Carlisle on St. Edwards Island may appear to the outside world to be a quiet, rural farming town, but to a group of 8 teens and tweens, its forests, fields, and orchards are places of enchantment, wonder, and adventure!

The Story Girl’s captivating tales toss Bev, Felix, Cecily, Felicity, Dan, Peter, Sara, and the Story Girl into mystical, magical, and spiritual worlds filled with princesses, sailors, mythological beings, and cosmological loves. The children find themselves running through ancient forests, shooting with the stars, sailing with treasure hunters, crossing rainbows with gods, spooking alongside the family ghosts, and discovering loves lost, loves found, and loves eternal. Through their real-life adventures, conflicts, and crises, the children struggle to find their voices, figure out who they are, and discover their place in the world – all while developing lasting bonds of friendship and love, during the mystical, magical, mesmerizing adventure of growing up. (Summary by TJ Burns).
All roles will be gender neutral.
Please read ONLY from the script links in the MW!

MC: TriciaG
BC: TJ Burns (benderca)
Parts-PL: TJ Burns
Chapters-PL: Linny
Narrator: TJ Burns
Editor: TJ Burns

1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded parts within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a part to record, simply look at column 2 "Title". All the roles without names beside them (in the "Reader" column) are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you would like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from scripts in Magic Window!): https://archive.org/details/storygirl00mont_1/page/n13/mode/2up
    5. Please claim roles (column 2)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading narrator, please include for each file:
      At the beginning: "Chapter [##] of The Story Girl. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org. The Story Girl by Lucy Maud Montgomery. [Chapter title]..."

At the end: "End of Chapter [##]."

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      storygirl_[role]_[##]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.

Note for the Editor:
      Please name final edited chapters with the following format: storygirl_01_montgomery_128kb.mp3 (Dramatis Personae will be numbered as "00".)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by benderca on February 3rd, 2022, 3:46 am, edited 30 times in total.
benderca

Post by benderca »

THE STORY GIRL CHARACTERS

Kids:
The Story Girl (Sara Stanley) 14 years old, fascinating, lively, charming, with a clear sweet voice that makes words come alive (Ch 1-32)
(Reader: Cadastra)
Narrator/Bev, 13-years-old (Ch 1-32) (Reader: TJ)
Felix, about 12-years-old (Ch 1-6, 8-32) (Reader: Elijah)
Dan, 13-years-old (Ch1, 2, 4-32) (Reader: Diego)
Felicity, 12-years-old, a stunning beauty, vain, stubborn, not too smart (Ch1, 3-32) (Reader: Jenn B.)
Cecily, 11-years-old, dear, sweet, warm-hearted, the peacemaker (Ch 1, 3-32) (Reader: Jasmin Salma)
Peter, about 14 or 15, hired boy, wants to be Felicity’s beau, not very educated, but smart (Ch 3-6, 8-11, 13-17, 19-28, 30, 31)
(Reader: Julian Pratley)
Sara Ray, neighbor girl, 11-years old. shy, always crying, easily frightened, with an overprotective mother (Ch 4-10, 13-6, 18 25, 29, 30, 32) (Reader: Lydia)
Billy Robinson, about 13-years-old, cons kids into buying his home remedies pre-pubescent afflictions (Ch 6)

Adults:
Father (Ch 1)
Mrs. MacLaren, The Housekeeper (Ch 1)
Uncle Alec, warm, friendly, supportive, and straight-forward (Ch 1, 25, 26, 27, 31, 32) (Reader: Alan Mapstone)
Aunt Janet, Constantly telling the children what to do and giving what she considers “good advice” (Ch 1, 6, 11, 12, 18, 19, 23, 32) (Reader: Diane)
Uncle Roger, jolly and fond of teasing; likes to tease and make fun of the kids; often pulls the kids’ legs (Ch 5, 12-19, 21-24, ) (Reader: Adam)
Mr. Marwood (Ch 8) (Reader: KevinS)
Mr. Campbell, rich, retired farmer, who took life easily. A much travelled man, "well read" and intelligent not always in a good humour (Ch 7) (Reader: Nemo)
Aunt Olivia Pretty, merry and kind; appreciated by the kids because she has “mastered to perfection the rare art of letting children alone.” (Ch 19, 24, 29, 32) (Reader: KHand)
The Doctor (Ch 15, 23)
Mrs. Patterson (Ch 13)
Mrs. Ray (1 line, Ch 29)

I'm still proofreading the scripts, but I've loaded some up onto my Google Drive if you want to take a look at the what you're getting yourself into...

Scripts:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fTku548jHUhbnEn0GMFIvUU86yoqTq3_?usp=sharing
(Scripts are not final versions - just to help you pick your roles. I'm still editing them).
Last edited by benderca on February 24th, 2021, 6:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I understand the commitment, the dedication, and the load I am taking on here, and I've got a lot more time on my hands now that we are in a "stay at home," order, but I would like to PL the parts, help out editing a little bit, and also play as Felix. :D
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I read Uncle Alec? It would suit an older male voice.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I go ahead and claim Felicity?
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
cadastra

Post by cadastra »

I would like to read Sara Stanley.
julianpratley

Post by julianpratley »

Could I play Peter?
“It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.”
― Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent
benderca

Post by benderca »

Wow, excellent! Thanks, everybody. As soon as we get a MC and a magic window, I will put your claims in.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've set this up.

I have changed a few things in the first post (it had "Act #" in the intro/outro rather than "Chapter" for example). Please read it over carefully to make sure it's all correct before doing anything else. :)

In future, please don't put all the [DR] tags and author name in the title field of the project template generator. The only thing that goes in that first box is the book title, and its title only. ;)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Mr. Marwood, please.
benderca

Post by benderca »

TriciaG wrote: March 30th, 2020, 9:54 am I've set this up.

I have changed a few things in the first post (it had "Act #" in the intro/outro rather than "Chapter" for example). Please read it over carefully to make sure it's all correct before doing anything else. :)

In future, please don't put all the [DR] tags and author name in the title field of the project template generator. The only thing that goes in that first box is the book title, and its title only. ;)
Thanks, Tricia! As you have probably figured out, this is the very first time I've done this. I've used the project generator once before, but that was for a solo project. I've coordinated and edited one-act plays before too, but Todd and Sonia have been so kind as to do the MW work for me. I'm sure I'm ready, but I may need some assistance. :D
ej400

Post by ej400 »

benderca wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:19 am Thanks, Tricia! As you have probably figured out, this is the very first time I've done this. I've used the project generator once before, but that was for a solo project. I've coordinated and edited one-act plays before too, but Todd and Sonia have been so kind as to do the MW work for me. I'm sure I'm ready, but I may need some assistance. :D
I can help, if you need any help :D Let me know if you have any troubles :thumbs:
benderca

Post by benderca »

ej400 wrote: March 30th, 2020, 11:25 am
I can help, if you need any help :D Let me know if you have any troubles :thumbs:
Great! thanks, Elijah!
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Hey TJ!

May I have Mr Campbell in Ch 7 please.

Not sure if you are allowing multiple roles as long as they don't share chapters as some DR's do?

If you are, I can also do Billy Robinson in Ch 6, but if not, that's cool and will just stick with Mr Campbell.

thnx!
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
benderca

Post by benderca »

NemoR wrote: March 30th, 2020, 7:59 pm Hey TJ!

May I have Mr Campbell in Ch 7 please.

Not sure if you are allowing multiple roles as long as they don't share chapters as some DR's do?

If you are, I can also do Billy Robinson in Ch 6, but if not, that's cool and will just stick with Mr Campbell.

thnx!
Hi Nemo! Great to have you aboard. I think I'll just keep one reader per character to start off with, since there aren't that many characters (but I'll let you know if that changes). I'll assign you to Mr. Campbell, but if you're looking for a larger role, Uncle Roger is still open. In most of his chapters, he just comes through and makes a funny remark, or makes fun of the kids, and laughs, but in some chapters he has a larger role and (occasionally) gets serious. He's a hilarious character. He pulls the kids' legs a lot.

Mr. Campbell is an interesting character as well, and would be fun to do. You'd be great for either. :D