FULL [DR] Little Men by Louisa May Alcott - rap

Plays and other dramatic works
ej400

Post by ej400 » November 4th, 2020, 9:45 am

Sorry I haven't been online much lately. If the other two volunteers would like to PL those, that would be perfectly OK. I am planning a day to sit down and finish these off.

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 4th, 2020, 2:32 pm

tamtaj wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 9:58 am
JayKitty76 wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 12:36 pm
tamtaj wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 12:03 pm
Hi,
I am new here, I would like to take part in proof listening before I get to reading. I would like to PL Dolly's part - Ch 13, Ch 17, Ch 21. As I understand, these chapters are not yet assigned.
Cheers!
Tamta
Hello Tamta,
Thanks for posting! You can definitely PL that for us. We really need someone who will be able to PL all the parts, but if you just want to do Dolly, that’s totally fine. Thanks again!
I just listened to dolly's parts and everything's ok, and the reader is doing a great job (I know this is not a part of proof listening, but just wanted to acknowledge that:)) The pauses between the lines in the beginning and at the ends are 5-6 seconds everywhere, except for chapter 21 where the pause between the introductory part and actual text is 14 seconds, the reading starts at 00:18 sec. I am not sure whether this is how it was supposed to be since I am doing PLing for the first time.
I'd love to be more helpful, should I just go on and listen to different characters that are "ready for PL" and post it here?
When you say “introductory part”, do you mean the voice credit? (“Dolly, read by xxx”?) Though the pause between that and the start of the lines is a bit long, I think it’s acceptable.
Yes, please do! PL as much as you’d like. It’s really appreciated ✌🏽
also sorry for the late reply btw I just saw this :oops:
Rachel
”Just look around at the world we’re inheriting and think of the one we’ll create...”
~Newsies! on Broadway

New Chronicles of Rebecca, three small roles left! Come help us finish the project!

Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 » November 5th, 2020, 1:13 pm

I PL'ed Bess's part. Chapter 9, 11, and 13 are PL-OK.
In Chapter 21, there is a funky noise after the line "I am the Pinsiss." so if the noise cant be edited out that line might have to be re-recorded. Otherwise, that is PL-OK as well.

I noticed that the MW hasn't been updated with the last few sections that have been PL-ed, so it would be helpful if someone could do that! Happy to PL some more roles if you would like! :D
A.M.B. :roll:
Plays The Young Idea Peg O' My Heart
Solo Project Cape Cod

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 5th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Thank you AMB, tamta and Tchaikovsky! I’ll update the MW this afternoon.
Rachel
”Just look around at the world we’re inheriting and think of the one we’ll create...”
~Newsies! on Broadway

New Chronicles of Rebecca, three small roles left! Come help us finish the project!

hecrane00

Post by hecrane00 » November 7th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Hi, I am new to this but I would like to PL. Do you still have chapters that need reviewing? if so I can take 3 or 4

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 7th, 2020, 6:43 pm

hecrane00 wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 5:55 pm
Hi, I am new to this but I would like to PL. Do you still have chapters that need reviewing? if so I can take 3 or 4
Hello Hecrane, and welcome!
What we really need right now is character PLers- once the characters are all PL OK, then we can edit the final chapters together and Elijah will prooflisten those. A lot of volunteers have been signing up to prooflisten certain characters (as I haven’t gotten to updating the Magic Window yet, please check the most recent posts in the thread to see which characters have already been claimed for PLing.)
Thanks for your interest ;)
Rachel
~Newsies! on Broadway

hecrane00

Post by hecrane00 » November 7th, 2020, 8:13 pm

I can PL for Tommy Bangs in chapters 1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, and all of Prof. Fritz Bhaer PL chapter. Does the narrator chapter 1 and 2 still need a PL?

Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 » November 8th, 2020, 10:05 am

Did the PL'ing for Billy! Billy is PL-OK! :D
A.M.B. :roll:
Plays The Young Idea Peg O' My Heart
Solo Project Cape Cod

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina » November 8th, 2020, 10:54 am

Tchaikovsky wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:24 am
Hello I have finished the PL for Dick Brown . I am not sure how rigid the volume level of 89 db is so here are the levels. Otherwise everything was ok.

Dick Brown chapter 2: 90.8 (probably ok)
Dick Brown chapter 13: 86.3
Dick Brown chapter 17: 91.8
Tchaikovsky wrote:
November 1st, 2020, 7:38 am
Dick Brown chapter 18: 91.8 db
Dick Brown chapter 21: 90.3 db

otherwise all is ok.
Dick Brown is now marked PL OK.

tamtaj wrote:
I just listened to dolly's parts and everything's ok, and the reader is doing a great job (I know this is not a part of proof listening, but just wanted to acknowledge that:)) The pauses between the lines in the beginning and at the ends are 5-6 seconds everywhere, except for chapter 21 where the pause between the introductory part and actual text is 14 seconds, the reading starts at 00:18 sec. I am not sure whether this is how it was supposed to be since I am doing PLing for the first time.
I'd love to be more helpful, should I just go on and listen to different characters that are "ready for PL" and post it here?
Dolly Petingill is now marked PL OK.

Ambsweet13 wrote:
November 5th, 2020, 1:13 pm
I PL'ed Bess's part. Chapter 9, 11, and 13 are PL-OK.
In Chapter 21, there is a funky noise after the line "I am the Pinsiss." so if the noise cant be edited out that line might have to be re-recorded. Otherwise, that is PL-OK as well.
Bess Lawrence marked See PL Notes.

Links added in Notes field for Tommy Bangs

Ambsweet13 wrote:
November 8th, 2020, 10:05 am
Did the PL'ing for Billy! Billy is PL-OK! :D
Billy Ward is now marked PL OK.

tamtaj

Post by tamtaj » November 10th, 2020, 8:46 am

JayKitty76 wrote:
November 4th, 2020, 2:32 pm
tamtaj wrote:
JayKitty76 wrote:
October 30th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Hello Tamta,
Thanks for posting! You can definitely PL that for us. We really need someone who will be able to PL all the parts, but if you just want to do Dolly, that’s totally fine. Thanks again!
When you say “introductory part”, do you mean the voice credit? (“Dolly, read by xxx”?) Though the pause between that and the start of the lines is a bit long, I think it’s acceptable.
Yes, please do! PL as much as you’d like. It’s really appreciated ✌🏽
also sorry for the late reply btw I just saw this :oops:
No problem :)
for now, I PLed Meg Brooke's parts and below are a few notes. I am writing all details I've noticed just in case. I'll add more comments as I PL.
Chapter 5: 1) the volume is 92.1 Db. 2) in the script and the book, Meg says: "Be a good child, my Daisy", the reader reads "Be a good girl, my Daisy"; 3) the pause between the voice credit and the line is 1-2 seconds; 4) there is some background noise in the beginning (including voice credit) but when the actual line is read it's not noticeable anymore.
Chapter 19: 1) there is some background buzzing in the beginning, but when the actual line is read it's not noticeable; 2) the pauses between the lines and at the end is only 3 seconds.
Chapter 21: 1) there is some background buzzing, which is more noticeable in this file than in other chapters; 2) the pauses between the voice credit, the lines and at the end are only 1-2 seconds.

tamtaj

Post by tamtaj » November 10th, 2020, 9:34 am

I PLed Emil, below are my notes:
I couldn't listen to Ch4 and Ch6, shows an error.
Ch7 - the silence between the lines is 2 seconds.
Ch 11 - PL Ok
Ch 12 - One line is missing "Hullo", otherwise PL Ok
Ch 14 - the silences between the first 4 lines are 4 secs, otherwise PL Ok.
Ch 15 - the silences between the lines are 1-3 secs, otherwise PL Ok.
Ch 17 - PL Ok
Ch 19 - the Lines "I will, for one" and "We'll stay" are not recorded; the silences between the lines are 3 secs.
Ch 20 - the line "you can't go out till you've told a story," is not recorded; the silences between the lines are 3 secs (except for 0:23 -0:31 silence).
Ch 21 - PL Ok.
song PL ok.
As a side note, the reader has got a great voice :thumbs:

Bookworm360
Location: Middle-Earth(somewhere between the Shire and Lorien)

Post by Bookworm360 » November 10th, 2020, 9:41 am

Thank you. I will make the edits as soon as I can! By the way, what is the ideal number of seconds between lines?
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Major life things happening now, therefore I am unable to do LV much. :( Please be patient with delayed projects.

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » November 10th, 2020, 11:02 am

Hi,

I am the editor for this project and just wanted to comment on a few notes. First of all, tamtaj, thanks for helping out with the PLing. Much appreciated! I just wanted to step in and let you know some of my preferences/what I'm ok with to make things easier.

First of all, as posted before, the accepted volume for LibriVox is 86-92 dbs. However, for DRs, we can be a little less strict. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have to have individual files submitted perfectly in that range. As editor, I will be adjusting each individual's volume to get a consistent volume, and even if somebody were to submit it within range I would still have to change it. What is most concerning when PLing individual volume is to ensure that it is not so loud that it causes clipping, and not so quiet that a ton of background noise that is hard to remove appears when amplifying. This isn't to say that readers should not aim for the range, but we don't need to be absolutely perfect when checking. So the 92.1 reading you saw earlier should be fine here.

As for silences, we don't have to be perfect here either. I believe the standard range is 2-3 seconds, but some say 3-5. Again, we don't have to be perfect, but shorter than 2 seconds makes it harder on the editor and long silences harder on the PLer (and a tad on the editor). I am totally fine with one off incorrect silences, but if it is consistent that's when I'd appreciate the readers to make changes. So I'd be ok with marking Emil chapters 7 and 14 as ok. As for 15, I can take a quick look later, but if most of the silences are 2-3 seconds with only a few 1 second breaks, I'm ok with that (that being said, the reader should aim for the full 2-3 seconds in the future).

For Meg Brooke, I can also take a little look later, but if the background noise doesn't interrupt the lines, since I'm splicing it together, we could mark some of those ok. I'm also happy to do noise cleaning on it, so if the noise is easily noise cleanable, we can mark that ok too.

Once again, thanks for PLing, it's very helpful!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 » November 10th, 2020, 4:48 pm

tamtaj wrote:
No problem :)
for now, I PLed Meg Brooke's parts and below are a few notes. I am writing all details I've noticed just in case. I'll add more comments as I PL.
Chapter 5: 1) the volume is 92.1 Db. 2) in the script and the book, Meg says: "Be a good child, my Daisy", the reader reads "Be a good girl, my Daisy"; 3) the pause between the voice credit and the line is 1-2 seconds; 4) there is some background noise in the beginning (including voice credit) but when the actual line is read it's not noticeable anymore.
Chapter 19: 1) there is some background buzzing in the beginning, but when the actual line is read it's not noticeable; 2) the pauses between the lines and at the end is only 3 seconds.
Chapter 21: 1) there is some background buzzing, which is more noticeable in this file than in other chapters; 2) the pauses between the voice credit, the lines and at the end are only 1-2 seconds.
Thank you, Tamtaj!
I've updated everything in the MW. I marked chapter 19 as PL OK since Campbell said she can take care of the PLing; 5 and 21 are See PL Notes.
Rachel
~Newsies! on Broadway