OPEN[PLAY]The Princess of Elis by Molière - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10542
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » May 10th, 2020, 6:26 am

ShannOliver wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 10:56 pm
Hi all! Thought I'd start off my LibriVox career with my absolute favorite...Molière!

Could I please claim:
6. Climene, 5th Interlude and Act 5

My first recording info:
Shann Oliver
shannoliver.com
Thank you, and welcome to Librivox. You have completed the one minute test of your equipment and are ready to go.

Hope someone has given you the habit-forming addiction warning....

The first posting in this (and every) project has the instructions on file names and uploading files and posting the uploader link in the forum to have the file Proof-Listened. These instructions are pretty standard throughout Librivox. I have also made a short summary for the important special rules in drama, so here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text (link to the text is in the first posting) and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 5-10 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 5-10 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd

Algy Pug
Posts: 6035
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Algy Pug » May 10th, 2020, 6:56 am

Could I read Theocles?

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

_________________________
Let me recapitulate backwards to what happened previously.
- Rex Mossop

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10542
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » May 10th, 2020, 10:07 am

Thank you.

Todd

Algy Pug
Posts: 6035
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Algy Pug » May 10th, 2020, 3:24 pm

Theocles uploaded

Act 1 - 0:48
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessofelis_theocles_1_128kb.mp3

Act 2 - 0:25
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/princessofelis_theocles_2_128kb.mp3

I could not find any lines for this character in the interludes.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

_________________________
Let me recapitulate backwards to what happened previously.
- Rex Mossop

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10542
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » May 10th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Thank you.

Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22771
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 11th, 2020, 6:42 am

awww this guy is so soft-spoken, he will have no chance at all with Princess Toughness :lol: nicely played out, Algy, both acts PL ok. And yes, in the interludes there are rarely the same people than in the acts in this play

Thanks

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22771
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 11th, 2020, 6:44 am

Todd, I just noticed that Act 3 and 4 could be finalized, since we seem to have all the characters for those.

Sonia

Algy Pug
Posts: 6035
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Algy Pug » May 11th, 2020, 6:45 am

Kitty wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 6:42 am

awww this guy is so soft-spoken, he will have no chance at all with Princess Toughness :lol: nicely played out, Algy, both acts PL ok. And yes, in the interludes there are rarely the same people than in the acts in this play

Thanks

Sonia
Thanks Sonia

Yes, he is rather like the ineffectual spouse who missed out on Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

_________________________
Let me recapitulate backwards to what happened previously.
- Rex Mossop

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22771
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 11th, 2020, 6:46 am

Algy Pug wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 6:45 am
Yes, he is rather like the ineffectual spouse who missed out on Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle.
:lol: it's been ages since I saw that movie so I cannot even remember a spouse (that's how ineffectual he was :mrgreen: )

Sonia

Algy Pug
Posts: 6035
Joined: December 26th, 2009, 10:07 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Algy Pug » May 11th, 2020, 6:48 am

Kitty wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 6:46 am
Algy Pug wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 6:45 am
Yes, he is rather like the ineffectual spouse who missed out on Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle.
:lol: it's been ages since I saw that movie so I cannot even remember a spouse (that's how ineffectual he was :mrgreen: )

Sonia
He was very nice - his name was Walter. Even the name suggests that he was never going to come up to the mark.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

_________________________
Let me recapitulate backwards to what happened previously.
- Rex Mossop

ShannOliver
Posts: 5
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 8:30 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Post by ShannOliver » May 18th, 2020, 3:41 pm

ToddHW wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 6:26 am
ShannOliver wrote:
May 9th, 2020, 10:56 pm
Hi all! Thought I'd start off my LibriVox career with my absolute favorite...Molière!

Could I please claim:
6. Climene, 5th Interlude and Act 5

My first recording info:
Shann Oliver
shannoliver.com
Thank you, and welcome to Librivox. You have completed the one minute test of your equipment and are ready to go.

Hope someone has given you the habit-forming addiction warning....

The first posting in this (and every) project has the instructions on file names and uploading files and posting the uploader link in the forum to have the file Proof-Listened. These instructions are pretty standard throughout Librivox. I have also made a short summary for the important special rules in drama, so here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text (link to the text is in the first posting) and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 5-10 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 5-10 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd
Thanks Todd! This was *super* helpful.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10542
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » May 19th, 2020, 8:42 am

Kitty wrote:
May 11th, 2020, 6:44 am
Todd, I just noticed that Act 3 and 4 could be finalized, since we seem to have all the characters for those.

Sonia
Done and ready for you to PL. I think you will like them.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22771
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 20th, 2020, 2:13 am

ToddHW wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 8:42 am
Done and ready for you to PL. I think you will like them.
haha indeed I did enjoy them greatly, especially your feeble attempt at singing as Moron :lol: So funny that you didn't hit a single right note. (of course I know that is only for the purposes of the play, rumour has it in real life you're a nightingale :mrgreen: )

Excellent job from all our actors, especially Availle and Kurt who do a brilliant job of their love/hate relationship. :thumbs:

Act 4 already PL ok.

A small snip-suggestion for Act 3 though:

> from 5:23-5:27: between "agreeable entrée" and "act III argument" – the pause feels too long

thanks

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10542
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » May 20th, 2020, 5:56 am

Kitty wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 2:13 am
ToddHW wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 8:42 am
Done and ready for you to PL. I think you will like them.
haha indeed I did enjoy them greatly, especially your feeble attempt at singing as Moron :lol: So funny that you didn't hit a single right note. (of course I know that is only for the purposes of the play, rumour has it in real life you're a nightingale :mrgreen: )

Excellent job from all our actors, especially Availle and Kurt who do a brilliant job of their love/hate relationship. :thumbs:

Act 4 already PL ok.

A small snip-suggestion for Act 3 though:

> from 5:23-5:27: between "agreeable entrée" and "act III argument" – the pause feels too long

thanks

Sonia
Don't like my singing, eh? I thought my ode in m-flat was utterly perfect. That is m for "Moron" of course, and is a tone of voice not used by any mere normal people singers. In m-flat, pitches change to reflect the flights of the birds, the phases of the moon, and the hardness of the princess's heart...

I am a bit confused. (Ha - a bit, you say? I heard that.) The Act 3 gap you indicate is, in my file, at 5:17 not 5:23, and is less than two seconds rather than the 4 seconds you say. (I did cut a tad off between "act III argument" and its following text in case that was what you meant, so you could Spot PL that.) Did I originally export it wrong somehow so that locations got messed up or ????? (Remember this is Moron you are dealing with and the Moron world might not be the same as yours....)

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 22771
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » May 20th, 2020, 8:45 am

ToddHW wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 5:56 am
I thought my ode in m-flat was utterly perfect.
:lol: I must have been tone-deaf to not hear that
The Act 3 gap you indicate is, in my file, at 5:17 not 5:23, and is less than two seconds rather than the 4 seconds you say. (I did cut a tad off between "act III argument" and its following text in case that was what you meant, so you could Spot PL that.)

ok now I am confused as well :| the gap is definitely better now but I could have sworn it was 4 seconds this morning. Bizarre. Well, anyway, it's PL ok now :)

thanks and sorry for the confusion

Sonia

Post Reply