OPEN[PLAY]The Rocket by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 13th, 2020, 7:00 am

MichaelMaggs wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 12:19 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_narrator_3_128kb.mp3 @19:26
The stage directions at the last two lines of page 67 of the printed text are spurious. They don't belong there, but appear in the right place about half way down page 68.
indeed that one was strange :hmm: probably a misprint. But you're right, they belong on the next page.

Great job again. I only found one small thing to get cut:

> at 2:38: (p. 60) "Mable and Florence" – this can get cut, Todd will merge those voices but they don't need to be announced

the rest was perfect ! :thumbs: Thanks so much again. You're really not afraid of long recordings.

Sonia

MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs » January 13th, 2020, 10:55 am

Kitty wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 7:00 am
> at 2:38: (p. 60) "Mable and Florence" – this can get cut, Todd will merge those voices but they don't need to be announced
Narrator act 3 re-uploaded. Exactly the same as before but omitting the three words "Mable and Florence".

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_narrator_3_128kb.mp3

MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs » January 13th, 2020, 11:41 am

Act 1 narrator with corrections. Hope it's OK now

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_narrator_1_128kb.mp3

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » January 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Thank you.

Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 14th, 2020, 12:42 am

MichaelMaggs wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 11:41 am
Act 1 narrator with corrections. Hope it's OK now
Narrator act 3 re-uploaded. Exactly the same as before but omitting the three words "Mable and Florence".
yes thank you, Michael, both are PL ok now. :thumbs:

Sonia

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » January 14th, 2020, 7:34 am

Rob Marland reader section | website
Something Childish and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield.
The Dial. British aesthetic magazine, 1889.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 14th, 2020, 7:45 am

RobMarland wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:34 am
Here is the Chevalier Walkinshaw for PL. I had a lot of fun with this one. What a terrific scumbag!
wait till you have me bossing you around ;) Walkinshaw and Rosaline really deserved each other :lol:

will probably PL tomorrow !!!

thank you Rob, looking forward to this.

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm

and here is the shrew :mrgreen: I had fun doing this French accent all throughout. And Rosaline is quite a bossy woman. Yes I really had to dig deep into my repertoire to come close to such a character. :lol:

I loved the threatening message: "when I get you home !"

Now Todd when you hear this you are probably relieved that you play gentle Mable, who seems not to incur the wrath of Madame Fabriquette. In fact you seem to be the only one that makes her cringe. (enjoy that while it lasts...)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_rosaline_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 6:19 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_rosaline_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:35 min.

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » January 14th, 2020, 2:23 pm

I look forward to this.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 15th, 2020, 6:15 am

RobMarland wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 7:34 am
Here is the Chevalier Walkinshaw for PL. I had a lot of fun with this one. What a terrific scumbag!
oh, Rob, this performance is absolutely brilliant :clap: I can't wait to hear this all assembled, one of the funniest of Pinero's comedies I dare say. You play him so perfectly despicable but also so cringingly cowardly at times and at the end almost endearingly desparate that it's simply hilarious. Oh he will be so crushed by Rosaline when they get home :lol:

I have found a few things to correct still, but considering this was such a long performance, it was absolutely a great job and in so short a time. :thumbs:

Act 1:

> at 0:27 and 0:33: you have two versions of "Florence !" is there one you prefer, then you can cut the other one

> from 2:45-2:49: "your last, pardon me ? One moment please." – the long silence can get cut as there are no stage directions in between

Act 2:

> at about 15:08: (p. 58) you forgot the final exclamation: "My wife ! The devil !" (that would be me, you scoundrel :mrgreen: )

Act 3:

> at about 0:09: (p. 62) missed line: "All I want is to be allowed to lie down here with my face to the wall."

> at about 9:15: (p. 73) missed lines: "Joslyn, let me out, let me out, let me out, I want to speak to you one word. Let me out, Joslyn, and I'll make it worth your while."

> at about 10:03: (p. 74) missed line: "Yes, everybody seems to be in this hotel."

> from 14:21-14:33: (p. 78) there are 3 versions of "Oh !", in the book there are only 2. You could cut out the one you like least

thanks

Sonia

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland » January 15th, 2020, 7:19 am

Thanks Sonia,

Here are acts 2 and 3 for spot PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_chevwalkinshaw_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_chevwalkinshaw_3.mp3

I haven't re-uploaded act 1 because the two things you mentioned were intentional. I left the pause because I assumed the idea was that the chevalier was taking the cigar at this point. How much of a pause feels right in these situations is a personal thing: I'd rather leave it as a decision to be made in the edit. The same with the extra 'Florence' in act 1 and the extra 'oh!' in act 3. Obviously it would be a pain for an editor to have to sift through alternative readings of every line, but sometimes I'm not confident what would work best and so, for a few lines at most, prefer to give the editor a choice.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Something Childish and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield.
The Dial. British aesthetic magazine, 1889.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 15th, 2020, 7:26 am

RobMarland wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 7:19 am
sometimes I'm not confident what would work best and so, for a few lines at most, prefer to give the editor a choice.
ok makes sense, well, we'll leave the decision to Todd then. I have picked out my favourite "oh" already, so I'm curious whether it will make the final cut. :mrgreen:

All three acts now PL ok then. A great performance, as I already said. You haven't been in many Pineros so far I think, but I hope to hear you in some more before we run out of material. :9:

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » January 26th, 2020, 6:23 am

Kitty wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 2:00 pm
and here is the shrew :mrgreen: I had fun doing this French accent all throughout. And Rosaline is quite a bossy woman. Yes I really had to dig deep into my repertoire to come close to such a character. :lol:

I loved the threatening message: "when I get you home !"

Now Todd when you hear this you are probably relieved that you play gentle Mable, who seems not to incur the wrath of Madame Fabriquette. In fact you seem to be the only one that makes her cringe. (enjoy that while it lasts...)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_rosaline_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 6:19 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_rosaline_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 2:35 min.

Sonia
Ah, my dear, I am so glad to, for once, be in your good graces. But if you will hang about with some of these other folk....

Rosa played perfectly, though I did wonder why you have the little dog Caesar when you treat Adolphus like a dog too. And when there were words about you smoothing down the pillow of your husband, I wondered whether his face was on it or under it...

Only one slip: Act 2, 1:00 - line "And who is the happy old gentleman" sounds like "and who is that the old gentleman"

Act 3 already PL OK.

Thanks, Todd

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » January 26th, 2020, 6:27 am

John Mable - the stalwart, upright, voice of reason in the play (I mean, the only think HE did was to abandon his child to the care of a charlatan...) - awaits in the MW.

For a while through the play I wondered if the two brothers were to be near twins and played by the same actor with quick change magic, but finally in the last scene they are both present.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 27th, 2020, 1:38 am

ToddHW wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 6:23 am
And when there were words about you smoothing down the pillow of your husband, I wondered whether his face was on it or under it...
:lol: I was actually thinking the same thing when I read that line. That was probably the reason why the husband fled so fast from her
Only one slip: Act 2, 1:00 - line "And who is the happy old gentleman" sounds like "and who is that the old gentleman"
hmm I just had a listen and I clearly hear "happy old". :hmm: I can try to redo it slower maybe, so it comes out clearer, but it's what I said.

Will PL Mable soon.... thank you for the review. :D

Sonia