FULL[PLAY]The Rocket by Arthur Wing Pinero - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 27th, 2020, 3:02 am

ToddHW wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 6:27 am
For a while through the play I wondered if the two brothers were to be near twins and played by the same actor with quick change magic, but finally in the last scene they are both present.
yes that could have been an obvious conclusion, but no, twins wouldn't work here, as Jocelyn would immediately have noticed the resemblence, since he saw both men. Florence as well, come to that.

Excellent portrayal, Todd, I loved the whole performance. Mable is a sort of neutral character, more or a good guy, but you didn't make him boring at all. Kind and tender-hearted at all times, even with his rascal brother in the end.

Acts 1 and 2 already PL ok

One small significant error in Act 3 though:

> at 8:43: (p. 79) "that lady his wife ?" – you say "man" :lol: poor Rosaline received a sex-change from you.

thank you

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » January 27th, 2020, 7:04 am

Mable Act 3 fixed. What kinda gender correctness are you expecting from a man named Mable anyway?

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 27th, 2020, 7:17 am

ToddHW wrote:
January 27th, 2020, 7:04 am
Mable Act 3 fixed. What kinda gender correctness are you expecting from a man named Mable anyway?
probably true...strange that we now have two plays with male Mables at the same time. :hmm: (update: the other was Myrtle, not Mable, my mistake, but the names are similar :lol: )

Womanhood restored. PL ok now.

Sonia

jennlea

Post by jennlea » January 28th, 2020, 7:25 am

May I claim the part of Florence if she is still available?
-Jenn B.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 28th, 2020, 8:33 am

jennlea wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 7:25 am
May I claim the part of Florence if she is still available?
of course, thank you very much. Looking forward to your interpretation of the role 8-)

And Todd: here is a re-do of that one line from Rosaline. I tried to be extra expressive to make the sounds come out right. I did say the same thing last time, but I hope I managed to make it clearer this time. :? If you still hear the other thing, I don't know how I can change it to make it clearer.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_rosaline_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 6:20 min.

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » January 29th, 2020, 4:54 am

Rosaline now perfect.

Thanks, Todd

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 20th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Not a female, but I'm happy to fill that last spot and try soft voice for Bingle.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 21st, 2020, 4:17 am

AdamBielka wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 7:26 pm
Not a female, but I'm happy to fill that last spot and try soft voice for Bingle.
all our roles here are gender neutral anyway. And a "servant" could well be a manservant too, anyway. Wouldn't be surprised with Lady Hammersmith :lol: so your voice doesn't matter so much. You can ham it up, play it à la Monthy Python, or be simply your natural self. Anyway, if you want to hear a scary female servant performance, check out Chris as the Parlourmaid in the The Playgoers. But warning: it can never be unheard again :lol: https://librivox.org/one-act-play-collection-011-by-various/

Thanks for claiming. We're fully claimed.

Oh and I have to say it at one point...I smile each time I see your forum name. I don't know whether it's your real family name, but do you know that Bielka means squirrel in Russian ? I think it's a sweet name. :9:

Sonia

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 21st, 2020, 12:15 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 4:17 am

all our roles here are gender neutral anyway. And a "servant" could well me a manservant too, anyway. Wouldn't be surprised with Lady Hammersmith :lol: so your voice doesn't matter so much. You can ham it up, play it à la Monthy Python, or be simply your natural self. Anyway, if you want to hear a scary female servant performance, check out Chris as the Parlourmaid in the The Playgoers. But warning: it can never be unheard again :lol: https://librivox.org/one-act-play-collection-011-by-various/

Thanks for claiming. We're fully claimed.

Oh and I have to say it at one point...I smile each time I see your forum name. I don't know whether it's your real family name, but do you know that Bielka means squirrel in Russian ? I think it's a sweet name. :9:

Sonia
Wow. :shock: That voice.... add some sound effects and a bit more talk about prawn skins and it would fit in a horror movie as easily as a Victorian class satire!

Ha, nearly every Russian I've met mentions that one point or another! And Adam means "Human" so really my name can mean "Human Squirrel"- could be an alterego for a obscure Marvel character :wink: :D Once upon a time we watched Letyat Zhuravli in class and was weirded out when one of the characters kept getting called 'Bielka' by her boyfriend, as a pet name. My friends snickered at that! :lol:

Alas step-grandfather was Polish though, and best as we can tell its Polish origin and means something along the line of "white-ish." Which definitely more boring than squirrel.

Where's your accent come from by the way? It's distinctly breathy, but I found it hard to place throughout all of Mrs. Pretty & Premiere!
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 21st, 2020, 12:38 pm

And Adam means "Human" so really my name can mean "Human Squirrel"- could be an alterego for a obscure Marvel character :wink: :D
:lol: now I picture you in an embarrassing costume joining the Avengers.
Alas step-grandfather was Polish though, and best as we can tell its Polish origin and means something along the line of "white-ish."
ah it's probably the same origin though. Maybe the squirrels were whitish. In Russian, white is biely or biela for female gender. Just the 'k' missing
Where's your accent come from by the way? It's distinctly breathy, but I found it hard to place throughout all of Mrs. Pretty & Premiere!
now you have to explain what you mean by "breathy". I hope I didn't sound too out of breath :lol: Well I am not a native English speaker, I'm afraid. Chris qualifies my accent as "cultivated European" if I remember correctly. I'm from Luxembourg, so you may detect maybe a tinge between German and French accent in it, although I try very hard to get rid of either of them in my English performances (unless the role calls for it). I am immersed in so many different language groups here that my accent is probably an amalgam of many and not easily traceable. :mrgreen:

Sonia

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 21st, 2020, 2:45 pm

Kitty wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 12:38 pm

now you have to explain what you mean by "breathy". I hope I didn't sound too out of breath :lol: Well I am not a native English speaker, I'm afraid. Chris qualifies my accent as "cultivated European" if I remember correctly. I'm from Luxembourg, so you may detect maybe a tinge between German and French accent in it, although I try very hard to get rid of either of them in my English performances (unless the role calls for it). I am immersed in so many different language groups here that my accent is probably an amalgam of many and not easily traceable. :mrgreen:

Sonia
Not out of breath :lol: More like airy-full-of-breath, I think anyway, like a German-ish Marilyn Monroe voice? Its hard to describe accents, unless you're a linguist that can say fancy things about fricative patterns and glottal phonemes which I am not :lol: Anyway, Cultured European sounds about right, its a distinct voice and welcome addition to the LibriVox choir!

It's such a great thing to be multilingual! Neither of my parents' first language was English so I only grew up with English since it was their common tounge. Feel like I missed an opportunity to learn early, and now struggle to do even intelligible French! Alas!

Also the submission for Bingle, who has a much funner name than dialogue! Almost felt like reading stage directions! :wink:
0:58
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_bingle_2_128kb.mp3

SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles » February 22nd, 2020, 1:29 am

AdamBielka wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 12:15 pm
Wow. :shock: That voice.... add some sound effects and a bit more talk about prawn skins and it would fit in a horror movie as easily as a Victorian class satire!
My throat hurt, but I'd never felt so free! :lol:

I think it is fair to say that Sonia, Todd and Tomas between them form an important part of our acting troupe. Tomas provides the Richard Burton intensity and focus, while Sonia and Todd are the go-to whenever a married couple is required.

And don't be fooled by the fact that Todd is seemingly always being put-upon by his stage wife. Word has it that Todd has to work in an audio-only medium because of the effect he has upon women visually. Particularly his eyes. Apparently once a woman has gazed into those twin pools of passion, she's a goner.

The blue one's alright, but watch out for that little red one, ladies! :wink:

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 22nd, 2020, 4:14 am

AdamBielka wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 2:45 pm
Not out of breath :lol: More like airy-full-of-breath, I think anyway, like a German-ish Marilyn Monroe voice?
do you mean sultry and husky ? Then I take it as a compliment. :mrgreen:
It's such a great thing to be multilingual! Neither of my parents' first language was English so I only grew up with English since it was their common tounge. Feel like I missed an opportunity to learn early, and now struggle to do even intelligible French! Alas!
yes I agree, the languages I learnt as a kid were much easier to learn than those I start now as an adult. Your parents missed an opportunity to raise you tri-lingual ! Each could have spoken in their mothertongue to you and you would have learnt English since you grew up in the US.
Also the submission for Bingle, who has a much funner name than dialogue! Almost felt like reading stage directions! :wink:
0:58
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_bingle_2_128kb.mp3
ah you went for a softer voice I see. It didn't say anywhere that Bingle was a female, you know. For all we know he could have been an ageing butler :lol: But I suspect you wanted to dress up in this nice parlour-maid outfit with the white bonnet for the occasion, so I won't stop you. :mrgreen: Anyway, nice job, but you missed many of her starring lines ! Bingle is not just a pretty face, she has some meaningful lines as well. ;)

> at 0:28: (p. 31) "and Madame Fabriquette" - as much as she would like to be a "lady" I think Bingle would know all about etiquette, and only call her "Madame" and not give her ideas above her station.

> at about 0:50: (p. 36 & 40) two missed lines: "Mr Mable" and "Miss Walkinshaw"

> at about 0:56: (p. 54 & 56) two missed lines: "A messenger has just left this for you, Mr. Joslyn." and "If you please, sir, Madame Fabriquette has come back."

Thanks !

Oh and anything said by Chris should be taken with a grain of salt, I think you realized that by now. Concerning Todd's red eye...I never heard of any damage he did with that in the female world.

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 22nd, 2020, 11:20 am

I am only a walking crime of passion when below the equator. Or playing a part from there.

Thanks, Todd

AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka » February 23rd, 2020, 12:18 am

Wow. I think that's got to be a record for an amount-of-errors-to-lines ratio :hmm: I 'm not usually that bad! :( This was clearly the wrong type of file to trust Cntrl-F for.

Should be fixed now. Added the missed lines, and stopped Fabriquette from getting too uppity without knowing her place! Kitty already did too much damage gifting her servants theatre tickets seats for their hats and fiances!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/rocket_bingle_2_128kb.mp3 1:28

And am I'm now realizing that SonofExiles/Chris- who did creepy-feminie-horror-movie-prawn-skins parlourmaid voice is the same guy who did the gruff Austalian Labour Premiere? Wow, he's got some range! :clap: :clap: