COMPLETE[PLAY]The Torch-Bearers by George Kelly - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

EmmaHatton wrote: December 28th, 2019, 11:25 am It sure was, here is act 3. https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/torchbearers_jenny_3_128kb.mp3
Thanks, Emma, nice job again!

0:46 In this line: "I allus cry when a show is sad," I believe that the "allus" is supposed to mean "always," and that the author is trying to give us a feel for what Jenny's speech sounds like. Just a suggestion, but I think re-recording this line with that meaning in mind would give a better result. As it is, it sounds a bit strange.
1:33 I hear "I always took off the commercial parts." It ought to be "I always took off the comical parts."

I forgot to mention for act 1 that your volume is a bit low according to Checker, which is again the case in this one. I don't think you need to change anything, though, since Todd will adjust volume as part of editing. I've also noticed that dramatic roles in general often tend to come out a bit low according to Checker. I think it's because of all the blank silences. Anyway, I just mention it so you're both aware. :)
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/torchbearers_jenny_3_128kb.mp3 I hope those fixes sound better. (I didn't fix the volume though because of what was said.) thank you.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

And I can indeed make small adjustments to volume when I edit. If it gets too low then there might be a lot of noise introduced which is better to have the reader deal with, but what I really worry about is when it gets too high that it might clip and distort - that is impossible to fix from the mp3 files.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Emma. "Comical" is fixed and sounds great! I'm not sure if I hear a difference in the other note that I made for you, but it was merely a suggestion anyway, so I will go ahead and mark it PL ok.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Mr. Stage Manager, Act 2, is in the MW for PL.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh my goodness, this will be hilarious!

Great job as Stage Manager, Todd, and what a fitting position for you! Although I have to say, thank goodness you do a better job managing our LV stages than this man manages his, or we'd never get a thing done! :lol:

Very well characterized, and immediately PL ok! :thumbs:
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

Hello!

May I claim the role of Mrs. Pampinelli, please?

Thanks,
Nishtha
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
NishthaRocks

Post by NishthaRocks »

Here's the link to Mrs. Pampinelli's first act. I love this character! I feel like she thinks she's an expert on every subject and I tried to put in a little of the know-it-all air into her.

Time - 24:08

Link -

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/torchbearers_mspampinelli_1_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Nishtha
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Our DPL will be along to listen soon.

Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

May I claim the part of Mrs. Paula Ritter? Thanks!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 »

I'd like to take Florence if it is still available
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Tpdd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

NishthaRocks wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 10:39 pm Here's the link to Mrs. Pampinelli's first act. I love this character! I feel like she thinks she's an expert on every subject and I tried to put in a little of the know-it-all air into her.

Time - 24:08

Link -

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/torchbearers_mspampinelli_1_128kb.mp3

Thanks!
Nishtha
Very nice work with Mrs. Pampinelli! You've given her just the right characterization. A sure-minded woman who always knows what right, for herself and everyone else around her. :wink: This is a huge role, and you're doing well!

There are quite a lot of notes, but don't worry. Most of them are about spacing. Remember to leave a good amount of space every time your line is interrupted by stage directions. There are also many times where you left too much space. I didn't mention them below, because it's very easy for Todd to work with too much space, but difficult if there's not enough. What I like to do after recording a role is to copy a space of about 3 seconds, then go through the script again, pasting that space in between each one my lines. This way, I know it's always even.

0:07 You missed your first line: "You see how considerate I am of you, Jenny, letting myself in?"
1:24 OPTIONAL: I'm not sure whether you may have applied some kind of effect to this line, or if maybe you turned your head away from the microphone for a moment, but at the words "gems of talent the unfathomed caves of matrimony bear," your voice suddenly sounds muffled. You may wish to re-record this line (up to you), but even if you don't, see if you can figure out what caused that uneven sound so that you can avoid it in the future. :)
1:54 More space after "Mr. Spindler"
3:04 There is a kind of bumping/thumping underneath this whole line: "And is going to succeed, too, aren’t you, Mr. Spindler?" This should be re-recorded, please.
4:31 More space after "...so upset me."
4:38 More space after "...his wife's part."
5:14 More space after "...too much to expect of her."
5:23 More space after "I thought of that too."
6:11 More space after "perfectly gorgeous, dear."
7:32 Missing line: "Well, personally, Mr. Ritter, I have always felt that, where it is a question of talent, one should not allow himself to be deterred by purely personal considerations."
7:59 More space after "...on page twelve."
9:17 False start here, followed by a click: "Oh, good evening Mr.--"
9:46 Missed line: "Teddy!"
12:06 and 12:08 More space before and after "intuitive."
12:14 OPTIONAL pronunciation note: "that I had intuitively anticipated the occurrence of some obstacle to thwart me." Occurrence is stressed on the second syllable, never the first. But pronunciation is always an optional note. I mention it in case you want to know.
12:25 There is some sort of scraping noise under your words: "before I even took down the receiver." Please re-record this phrase, and be sure to leave more space after it for the stage directions.
12:38 OPTIONAL pronunciation note: Gettysburg is pronounced with a hard G, not a J sound.
13:02 More space after "...essential culture has been raised."
13:08 Missed line: "Well, children, it’s eight-thirty." This is buried inside of stage directions, so will need space before and after.
13:21 More space after "Now, folks."
13:40 More space after "...relatively the same."
15:06 More space after "Oh!"
16:23 "Doctor Arlington is still in his office." There is a strange rumble under this line that actually bothered my ears. :? Please re-record this bit.
16:37 More space after "All ready now?"
17:34 More space after "...wastes a lot of time."
18:15 More space after "will you go back?"
18:28 and 18:31 More space before and after "More of this."
18:35 Two missing lines: "Do you want to cry there, dear?" and "No,—personally, I think she’s speaking more in anger than in sorrow. You see, dear, you are impersonating a wronged wife. Now, you yourself, Florence darling, are an unmarried girl:—it is difficult for you to realize how excessively annoyed with her husband a married woman can become. I think I would take it with more lift. More of this, you know."
18:57 More space after "Tempo, Florence!"
21:15 More space after "Just a moment."
21:19 More space after "Listen, Florence dear."
21:56 More space after "It seems to me."
22:37 OPTIONAL pronunciation note: "More nonchalance." The 'ch' in this word is pronounced as 'sh,' not 'k.'
23:50 Missing line: "Jenny dear! come here, please!"
23:52 More space after "Yes, I would."
23:58 More space after "Never mind!"

The one other note I have for you is that your volume is very low. You could afford to amplify this by maybe 5 dB or so without clipping, I think, once you remove that click at 9:17.

Looking forward to more Pampinelli to come!