COMPLETE [DR] - The Bat (novel), by Mary Roberts Rinehart-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

The Bat by Mary Roberts Rinehart (1876 - 1958).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-bat2-by-mary-roberts-rinehart/

A Mysterious killer—Man? Beast? Or devil?—spreading terror throughout a nation, flouting law and lawless alike … Curious GOINGS-ON in a house rented immediately upon the death of its owner … A WARNING to leave the house, underlined with threats of death … A SHADOW bearing one gleaming eye [ … ] Wouldn’t You Like to Know – What happens when the indomitable Miss Van Gorder refuses to be frightened from the house of murder? What nerve-shaking word is spelled out by the Ouija board? [ … ] Who is the stranger who arrives half dead? Who is the Bat?” ~ from the ad in the book. Originally published in 1926, Rinehart's entertaining mystery offers suspense and humor, and you will see evidence of that era's Asian xenophobia and Prohibition in the United States. (Summary by Lynette Caulkins)

Editor: LCaulkins
Part DPL: LCaulkins
Completed Chapters DPL: MaryAnnSpiegel
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2019
    • Read from the prepared CHAPTER SCRIPTS
      (You will also find links to specific chapter scripts in the Note for each section.)
    • Unless noted, roles are gender neutral. We're not doubling up on roles at this time.
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3
    bat_[role]_[##]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the chapter number.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by LCaulkins on October 21st, 2021, 6:22 am, edited 19 times in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

**This is the novel, not the play.

The novel is not on Wikipedia.

This novel is also available in full view at Hathitrust: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100550918

We do know that there is a solo reading of this in the LV catalog, but really, *really* want to do a dramatic read of it. :)

I’ll fill in keywords later.

LCaulkins will BC, narrate, PL role files, and edit (I will need a DPL for Narrator files and finished chapters - will advertise for that later)

Color-coded scripts for all chapters are linked above the MW. Individual chapter scripts will also be linked in the MW.

SCaulkins will read Detective Anderson
Dale and Brooks/Bailey are reserved for Heather and Pat Smith
Last edited by LCaulkins on December 9th, 2019, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Do you have a Miss Cornelia already? If not, I'd love to read for her!
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Elizabby wrote: December 8th, 2019, 4:04 am Do you have a Miss Cornelia already? If not, I'd love to read for her!
We don't, yet. :) That would be great.
~Lynette * -
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This looks very good! Do you have a full list of characters we can begin looking at? I've skimmed through a couple of the chapters, and I think Dale looks like an interesting role. But I'm curious about what other characters there are. (Without having to read the whole book! :wink:)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Aw, I'm sorry - Dale is already reserved. Open characters (heaviness of lines, # of chapters):

Doctor Wells - middle age man, best if male, but could be neutral, a take-charger (moderate, 10)
Lizzie Allen - middle age woman, superstitious hand maid to Cornelia, Irish accent -or good approximation- is a fantastic bonus (light to moderate, 16)
Richard Fleming - youngish snotty heir (moderate, 1)
Reginald Beresbord - young snobbish attorney (light to moderate, 7)
Unknown - youngish to middle age mysterious man with a strong presence, good at acting and conniving (light, 4)
Billy the Butler who knows jiu jitsu - young to middle age man, can be neutral, Japanese accent is a bonus (light, 10) <~~ and sincere apologies for the early-19th century xenophobia in the writing!! (In the form of such comments as "where is That Jap"

Bit parts - Police Chief (best as a man), Millionaire, Young Detective, City News Editor, News Editor Colleague (2). most of these are fine for gender neutral

**I've listed ages for character description, but I'm not requiring age matching for readers.

Reserved Roles:
Narrator
Miss Cornelia
Detective Anderson
Dale
Brooks/Bailey
Sally
Underworld Voice
Last edited by LCaulkins on December 9th, 2019, 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Lynette * -
benderca

Post by benderca »

If the sinister Underworld Voice is still open, I'd love to take it. Bwahh haaw haaah haaah haaaaaah! :mrgreen:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

LCaulkins wrote: December 8th, 2019, 11:19 am Aw, I'm sorry - Dale is already reserved.
Oh yes, I'm sorry. I forgot you'd already said that. Well, I will wait a bit and maybe pick something up down the line.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

benderca wrote: December 8th, 2019, 4:06 pm If the sinister Underworld Voice is still open, I'd love to take it. Bwahh haaw haaah haaah haaaaaah! :mrgreen:
Heee 8-) you got it
~Lynette * -
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I can take sally as it's a small role.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

leanneyauyau wrote: December 9th, 2019, 4:45 am I can take sally as it's a small role.
Sure!
~Lynette * -
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Lynette,

Did you make the scripts from the PG version or the Hathi Trust version? I ask because Hathi Trust is a scan (pdf) and not downloadable unless you have library-type rights. If you're working from the PG version for the scripts, that's what should be linked in the database as the text source.

MaryAnn
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm Lynette,

Did you make the scripts from the PG version or the Hathi Trust version? I ask because Hathi Trust is a scan (pdf) and not downloadable unless you have library-type rights. If you're working from the PG version for the scripts, that's what should be linked in the database as the text source.

MaryAnn
Hi, MaryAnn, I did work from both, after pasting from the PG. But I'll change that up there.

Also - I'm very certain I meticulously entered the second author on the template, but he's not there? Do second authors stay hidden during this stage, or did he somehow get dropped?
~Lynette * -
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

LCaulkins wrote: December 9th, 2019, 3:39 pm Hi, MaryAnn, I did work from both, after pasting from the PG. But I'll change that up there.
Were they the same? It would be easiest on the PD side if you used the PG version, since we know that's been checked for PD status and cleared. I think Hathi trust also clears for copyright before posting material, but would need to research that.

And not sure on the author, I can check to see if it comes through when the project is set up and if not, add the second name then.

MaryAnn
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Let's just go with the PG one. :)
~Lynette * -