COMPLETE[PLAY]The Wonder-Working Magician by Pedro Calderón - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

These voice-changing afflictions are liable to be serendipitous by-and-by.

Come the day when Batman is PD, Todd will be expecting the full range of Catwomans from you, from Eartha Kitt through Lee Meriwether to Julie Newmar.

I believe Sonia will be supplying the Michelle Pfeiffer version.

Miaou,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
benderca

Post by benderca »

Now I haven't read this whole play yet, only my parts, but... even though I suspect that Justina and Cyprian are supposed to be the moral compasses in this story, I still have the distinct impression that our little love triangle group comes out better in the end (heads and hearts still intact when the curtain falls :shock: ).

Here's Livia, Act 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wonderworkingmagician_livia_3_128kb.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: January 16th, 2020, 4:32 pmNow I haven't read this whole play yet, only my parts, but... even though I suspect that Justina and Cyprian are supposed to be the moral compasses in this story, I still have the distinct impression that our little love triangle group comes out better in the end (heads and hearts still intact when the curtain falls :shock: ).
yes I think in a tragedy, the perks of being the servant are that you are still breathing at the end. The heroes often die a tragic death.

Perfectly done, TJ :thumbs: All PL ok. Excellent job on the weeping scene.

Thank you

Sonia
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

I was toying with taking Justinia -- but don't think I will at this point -- but if I did, I was going to ask if you perhaps wanted her phantom to be played by the same person for consistency. :hmm:
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

bluechien wrote: January 17th, 2020, 10:24 am I was toying with taking Justinia -- but don't think I will at this point -- but if I did, I was going to ask if you perhaps wanted her phantom to be played by the same person for consistency. :hmm:
I would like them to be different voices so a listener can tell real Justina from phantom Justina.

By the way, are you asking for an extension?

Thanks, Todd
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Yes, please! Sorry I forgot about this one! :oops:

I did just upload it though: :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wonderworkingmagician_phantomjustina_3_128kb.mp3
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

Would like to sign up for one the remaining roles, ideally Florus.
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote: January 18th, 2020, 9:21 pm Yes, please! Sorry I forgot about this one! :oops:
I did just upload it though: :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wonderworkingmagician_phantomjustina_3_128kb.mp3
super well done, Eva, thank you so much. You have a very tragic undertone in your voice, perfect for a phantom. And the sound is a bit eerie too, nice effect. :thumbs: Totally PL ok :)

Sonia
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

How is Lelius pronounced?
Join the "Frauds, Forgeries, and Fake News Collection" - viewtopic.php?f=28&t=78482&hilit=fake+news
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

AdamBielka wrote: January 19th, 2020, 4:34 pmHow is Lelius pronounced?
pronunciation can be different for each of us, just like in real life. As long as you yourself are consistent in your role to pronounce it the same way, it's fine with us.

For example, I personally would say "Lee-lius", stress on the first syllable, but that doesn't mean you have to say it that way.

Sonia
AdamBielka

Post by AdamBielka »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

awww, what a tearful ending to such a rash and jealous hothead :lol: I loved this emotional side of Florus in the end. While all throughout he is hell-bent on duelling with his rival. You really seem to pick the jealous lovers lately ;)

Excellently characterized, I am looking forward to hearing more from this guy. But I found a few things missing or to correct here as well:

> for the voice credit, please always remember to check the MW for the correct description, here: "Florus, friend of Lelius, read by..." That way we don't need to insert the narrator's voice to say the missing part

> at about 0:15: missed lines: "A wild wood-god / Have you from these tree-trunks issued?"

> at about 0:40: missed line: "This is all my heart's ambition."

> at 1:27: a few missed lines: "Here the dawn will find me waiting:— / Here, because 'tis force compels me / To go hence, for I, elsewhere, / Am away from my true centre."

> at 1:33: now you start again with "would to love"....there seems to have been a mixup here :hmm: well, one of the versions can get cut

> at 2:55: "proving what it would dissemble" – you say "dis-assemble" which is a change of meaning

thanks

Sonia