COMPLETE[PLAY] Belinda: an April Folly, by A.A. Milne - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JohanSupertramp

Post by JohanSupertramp »

Act I: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/belinda_devenish_1_128kps.mp3 6:03
Act II: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/belinda_devenish_2_128kps.mp3. 8:58

For some reason, I'm unable to change the volume of my recordings, and my version of Mac iOS doesn't support MP3Gain. So if you wouldn't mind doing that part for me, I would be grateful. Let me know if I need to make any changes. Act III is 99% done, gotta go back and rerecord the last line.
-Johan
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks, Johan!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks, Johan!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

JohanSupertramp wrote: March 11th, 2020, 5:12 pm Act I: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/belinda_devenish_1_128kps.mp3 6:03
Act II: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/belinda_devenish_2_128kps.mp3. 8:58

For some reason, I'm unable to change the volume of my recordings, and my version of Mac iOS doesn't support MP3Gain. So if you wouldn't mind doing that part for me, I would be grateful. Let me know if I need to make any changes. Act III is 99% done, gotta go back and rerecord the last line.
-Johan
I quite enjoyed the character you put into him, it will be great to hear the entire thing. I have some notes for each act, and some general notes.

Act 1:
1:54 – missing line ‘Baxter-‘. Also, you may notice in the stage directions there is a second ‘Poor old Baxter’. If you record another one then Lynette may choose to use it if she wishes.

Act 2:
4:32 – you can cut the line ‘how nice of you… Mr. Baxter!’, that is Belinda’s

5:00 – you can cut the line ‘There!... any more’, that is Belinda’s

General:
You need to pay close attention to the 2-3 seconds of silence between lines. This was worse in the first act, but there many instances where you were quite short. There were even times when there were multiple second silences in the middle of your lines, which was confusing. Also, whenever a stage direction interrupts (whether it is a direction ('Devenish moves left' for example) or another explanation ('excitedly' for example)), you need to include these silences. I stopped marking these instances down because there were too many where you forgot.

And as to volume, the first one is OK, the second is slightly low, but Lynette will play with it when editing anyways. Thanks for recording!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Johan! I'm super happy that you're doing Devenish for us. :)

I love doing DR, as it's FUN and usually much shorter than reading a regular chapter, and I hope you enjoy doing it too. Makes for a fun balance to do a mix of each type of LibriVox reading. It is a little bit different, though, in how it gets handled for editing - just to let you know why Campbell's talking about the spaces:

Pasting a dramatic reading chapter together is a far more visual process than aural. The silences on our recordings between lines (and during stage directions) need to be a good 3 seconds long (or so) because of the way things look on the role tracks as we're doing the cut-and-paste process between the Audacity file of the role tracks and the Audacity file of the master track. The way we need to set things up to do the splicing-together, it doesn't work to have the sound playing for the roles tracks (they are all muted while working), thus the visual cues being necessary.

So, while I'm editing a chapter together, I actually don't hear what I'm copy/pasting until its inserted on the master track (which is not muted). Once I've pasted about 10 inches of master track together, I'll play that stretch to make sure the correct lines went in the proper spots (and to double-check the volume interplay between voices). It's a meticulous, but fun process. Kinda like making a sound quilt. :)

Hopefully that made sense?
~Lynette * -
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Narrator checking in:
I haven't forgotten about this at all. I have recorded Act 1 and hope to have that edited soon. This guy is almost intrusive with his stage directions. I'm recording them all, of course, so you can use and cut as you see fit.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks so much, Larry. We're a little behind, anyway, with dear Beth's passing. I've got Act 1 of her Belinda part read in, but that needs editing, as well. I'm perfectly happy with slow, but reliable submissions.
~Lynette * -
JohanSupertramp

Sorry about all that. Those were edits I made on my own without realizing the effect it would have. I'll make the necessary corrections to all the acts and ensure they're (close to) what you're looking for.
JohanSupertramp

JohanSupertramp

JohanSupertramp

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks so very much, Johan!!

I'm sure Campbell will get these PL'd very soon. :)
~Lynette * -
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

LCaulkins wrote: March 16th, 2020, 9:31 am I'm sure Campbell will get these PL'd very soon.
I'll get to them when I can. I have some doctors appointments over the next few days that may take me out of commission for a few days. I will definitely get to them before the weekend however.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

That's absolutely fine :)
~Lynette * -
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 16th, 2020, 12:49 pm
LCaulkins wrote: March 16th, 2020, 9:31 am I'm sure Campbell will get these PL'd very soon.
I'll get to them when I can. I have some doctors appointments over the next few days that may take me out of commission for a few days. I will definitely get to them before the weekend however.
Be safe!