COMPLETE[PLAY] Belinda: an April Folly, by A.A. Milne - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

Devenish Act 1 is OK! Much better.

I am still not feeling great from my appointments, so I will only be PLing around one a day for a few more days.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

No problem at all, Campbell - get some rest and take care of You.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
lymiewithpurpose

Lynette, you have Devenish's Acts II and III mixed up (II is labeled as III, III is labeled as II), so I'm not marking anything in the MW for the time being.

That being said, I PLed Devenish act III (currently labeled as act II). I had a few minor notes. My brain is not working well enough today to determine if these word changes significantly alter the meaning, so let me know if you don't think they do.

0:48 – extra word ‘seat’

1:47 – heard ‘that’s right’ instead of ‘that’s all right’

Also, no need to change this this time, but please note that your volume is a tad low. Lynette will be messing around with the volume anyways, but something to keep in mind for future recordings.
Campbell
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Hi, Johan!

I've fixed the Act numbers in the MW, so these PL notes from Campbell are for Act 3, just to clarify.

Can you double check if the noted spots make a change in meaning? If they don't change meaning, no need to edit them.

Thanks!

Here are Campbell's notes, for ease of finding them:
lymiewithpurpose wrote: March 20th, 2020, 10:46 am Lynette, you have Devenish's Acts II and III mixed up (II is labeled as III, III is labeled as II), so I'm not marking anything in the MW for the time being.

That being said, I PLed Devenish act III (currently labeled as act II). I had a few minor notes. My brain is not working well enough today to determine if these word changes significantly alter the meaning, so let me know if you don't think they do.

0:48 – extra word ‘seat’

1:47 – heard ‘that’s right’ instead of ‘that’s all right’

Also, no need to change this this time, but please note that your volume is a tad low. Lynette will be messing around with the volume anyways, but something to keep in mind for future recordings.
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
lymiewithpurpose

Devenish act 2 is OK!
Campbell
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks so much, Johan and Campbell!
~Lynette * -
JohanSupertramp

Post by JohanSupertramp »

Sorry about the volume. Despite my efforts, I have not figured out to change it on Garageband or Audacity. If anyone can help, I appreciate it.
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JohanSupertramp wrote: March 23rd, 2020, 1:12 pm Sorry about the volume. Despite my efforts, I have not figured out to change it on Garageband or Audacity. If anyone can help, I appreciate it.
No worries here, Johan - I'll get it amplified when I prep the role files for editing the Acts together.

I'm not familiar with Garageband. On Audacity, there should be a mic icon with a slider bar next to it (for recording volume). For me, having that bar on .90, and my microphone on the same level as my mouth and a thumb-to-pinky distance gives me a good 89.5-90.1 volume without problems with plosives. If you can find it, I would try bumping it up just .1 from where it is now, and seeing what that yields for you on your files. Aim for 89-90 on your file output as the ideal range for DR/Plays.
~Lynette * -
lymiewithpurpose

Also, for fine tuning in Audacity you can use the amplify effect. Just enter the number you want to amplify by and it can adjust it.
Campbell
Mfassio

Post by Mfassio »

Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Boom! All three! Thank you, Michael - all are tucked into the MW for PL attention. :)
~Lynette * -
lymiewithpurpose

Thanks for reading, I have only a few notes.
Act 1
0:59, 1:36, 1:51 – need silence for stage directions

Act 2
0:59 – missing a ‘Who is Mr. Baxter?
1:06 – need silence for stage directions

Act 3
3:29, 3:55 – needs more silence for stage directions

Also, I noticed that you mainly have 2 seconds of silence in between lines. This is technically OK, and you don't have to change it. In the future, you may want to increase it a tad though. It makes it easier on the editor. 3 seconds of silence usually does well. Thanks!
Campbell
Mfassio

Post by Mfassio »

Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Gosh, thank you, Michael!
~Lynette * -
lymiewithpurpose

Mfassio wrote: April 7th, 2020, 12:24 pm Thanks for the PL!
Here are the corrections. I did go ahead and add some more space between lines.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/belinda_tremayne_1_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/belinda_tremayne_2_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/belinda_tremayne_3_128kb.mp3
Wow, thanks for the edits. I only really checked the areas with notes, but visually to me it looked much easier to work with for the editor, so the extra space helped. Acts 2 and 3 are OK! Act 1 is also ok, but I did notice at 1:45 there is some extra silence in there (it is in the middle of a line). I'll make a note in the MW so Lynette can remember when editing.
Campbell