COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 013 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 3:35 pm That sounds do-able. I'd like to volunteer to read the stage directions for "The Woman Tamer" then.
Yay! We have our Stage Directions reader. Now we just need the Policeman.

WHEN THE POLICE FORCE COULDN’T SPELL
by John (Jack) Moses (1861-1945)

Years ago when our land was new
Scholars then were very few
A poor old cabby’s horse dropped dead
In Castlereagh Street, it is said.

Policeman ‘9’ was standing by
And saw the neddy fall and die
“On this I must at once report –
Can I spell Castlereagh?’ he thought.

God bless the force!
They are never beat.
He dragged the horse into K-I-N-G Street.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 3:35 pm That sounds do-able. I'd like to volunteer to read the stage directions for "The Woman Tamer" then.

Just to clarify -- I read staging notes, but not actor's directions for line delivery, right? For example in "Woman Tamer" on Page 16, I would read "Chopsey: On Sofa" but not "Katie: Pleasantly"
I like having the, as you call it, "actor's directions for line delivery" included. I may not use them all where I think that a reader has really fully provided the desired impression with their voice, or where perhaps the conversation is moving so quickly that the direction would be a real roadblock to continuity of the action flow. But often I think that there would have been a complementary visible action that would have been seen by the audience in a staged production. So "pleasantly" might be just voice, or it likely might have included a smile at the corners of the moth, a tilt of the head, a relaxation of the shoulders. And then I would leave the actor direction in place when I edit.

(Think for example of the likely reaction to Chris's poem above. For most of us it would include a sad shake of the head, a rolling of the eyes. Nothing audible that would get into the reader file. So we probably would need a stage direction here. In today's language, an emoticon if you will.)

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Did you also want to do the Slave in the Sicilian?

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: February 8th, 2020, 6:54 pm (Think for example of the likely reaction to Chris's poem above. For most of us it would include a sad shake of the head, a rolling of the eyes. Nothing audible that would get into the reader file. So we probably would need a stage direction here. In today's language, an emoticon if you will.)

Thanks, Todd
Todd considers me an “educational tool” ... I wonder just what he meant by that? :hmm:

Anyhoo, Todd and I are collaborating on a sequel to “The Wasters”. I think I’ve got Maggs the Store-walker’s new slogan for the Store’s hosiery department, Todd.

How does “Add Swank to Your Shank” strike you?

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 9th, 2020, 1:01 am
ToddHW wrote: February 8th, 2020, 6:54 pm (Think for example of the likely reaction to Chris's poem above. For most of us it would include a sad shake of the head, a rolling of the eyes. Nothing audible that would get into the reader file. So we probably would need a stage direction here. In today's language, an emoticon if you will.)

Thanks, Todd
Todd considers me an “educational tool” ... I wonder just what he meant by that? :hmm:

Anyhoo, Todd and I are collaborating on a sequel to “The Wasters”. I think I’ve got Maggs the Store-walker’s new slogan for the Store’s hosiery department, Todd.

How does “Add Swank to Your Shank” strike you?

Chris
Or, perhaps, "Add Pride to Your Stride"? Or if the store goes for the discount down market, "Hosiery for The Most of Ye"!

Thanks, Todd
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

Here is my take on Jake from "When Witches Ride"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/whenwitchesride_jake_lay.mp3
recording time 06:37

Quite the change in tune for ol' Jake!

Jim G.
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

ToddHW wrote: February 8th, 2020, 6:54 pm

Just to clarify -- I read staging notes, but not actor's directions for line delivery, right? For example in "Woman Tamer" on Page 16, I would read "Chopsey: On Sofa" but not "Katie: Pleasantly"
I like having the, as you call it, "actor's directions for line delivery" included. I may not use them all where I think that a reader has really fully provided the desired impression with their voice, or where perhaps the conversation is moving so quickly that the direction would be a real roadblock to continuity of the action flow. But often I think that there would have been a complementary visible action that would have been seen by the audience in a staged production. So "pleasantly" might be just voice, or it likely might have included a smile at the corners of the moth, a tilt of the head, a relaxation of the shoulders. And then I would leave the actor direction in place when I edit.

(Think for example of the likely reaction to Chris's poem above. For most of us it would include a sad shake of the head, a rolling of the eyes. Nothing audible that would get into the reader file. So we probably would need a stage direction here. In today's language, an emoticon if you will.)

Thanks, Todd
I didn't see this until after I'd recorded! Argh! Hope I didn't leave anything out you might have wanted.

Yes, I'd like to read the Slave in "The Sicilian"
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

jfgallagher wrote: February 9th, 2020, 4:14 pm Here is my take on Jake from "When Witches Ride"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/whenwitchesride_jake_lay.mp3
recording time 06:37

Quite the change in tune for ol' Jake!

Jim G.
Nice. PL OK.

Thanks, Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Here's my reading of Zaide, the singing slave for "The Sicilian"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_04_slavesinging_128kb.mp3
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hali is highly dramatic, especially in the opening speeches :lol: excellent job, Alan, thank you so much. The typical Molière trickster. PL ok definitely.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ktaylor07 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:34 pmHere's my reading of Zaide, the singing slave for "The Sicilian"
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_04_slavesinging_128kb.mp3
first of all, excellent chanting and great job on the faux-Italian :lol: it is very comprehensible what is said for someone who speaks the language. :thumbs: loved it.

Zaide is also perfectly acted out, but we have a little problem. As you may see in the MW, Zaide and the singing slave are two different roles. :? And Todd usually doesn't want doubling of voices, so you would have to choose only one of them and cut out the rest of the performance.

Please let me know your choice. For the moment you are put down for the singing slave, but Zaide is still available if you want to switch.

Thanks, will listen to your stage directions now :)

Sonia