OPEN[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 013 - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 7th, 2020, 8:18 am

Thank you. It now, in the MW, awaits PL by the play BC. (Is that enough acronyms?)

Todd

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » February 7th, 2020, 9:51 am

ktaylor07 wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 8:15 am
Okay -- Here goes my first attempt for Mrs. Hartley in "The Hartleys"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_03_mrshartley_128kb.mp3
Thanks for reading this, I quite enjoyed her character. All the parts will sound wonderful together.

0:29 – missing ‘after’ in ‘after dark’

3:45 – couldn’t hear ‘him’ in ‘happy with him’

5:05 – ‘gradually’ has some animal noises in it

6:40 – missing ‘from’ in ‘from the library’

7:35 – repeat of a few lines (second set sounds correct)

Last is an advisory for the future. Please make sure that when you have stage directions interrupting your line, you leave the 3 seconds of silence in between. I can work with everything here, so just try to remember for the future.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them

JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 » February 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm

I had to rerecord to. I've switched up my recording space so much I couldn't match the dynamics of the original for edits.

Here she is

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hesaidandshesaid_diana_gerstenberg_.mp3 13:46

JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 » February 7th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Dammit screwed up the file name AGAIN!
Here's the real thing:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hesaidandshesaid_diana_gerstenberg.mp3

benderca

Post by benderca » February 7th, 2020, 6:39 pm

JtotheP716 wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 4:52 pm
I had to rerecord to. I've switched up my recording space so much I couldn't match the dynamics of the original for edits.

Here she is

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hesaidandshesaid_diana_gerstenberg_.mp3 13:46
Oh, no! Seriously? Shoot. We could have just left it as is and added the missing line. So sorry for the extra work. :cry:

(I can tell you right now that the bit rate is now okay).

JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 » February 7th, 2020, 8:04 pm

It's OK I think I got a much better version this time.

WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe » February 7th, 2020, 10:03 pm

Tomas Peter

Currently signed up for:
The Goddess | Zeus the Tragedian | Dramatic Reading Collection | One-Act Play Collection 13 | The World's Story Volume IX | And more... | To come...

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » February 8th, 2020, 4:17 am

excellent, thank you, Tomas. Now they are both PL ok. :)

Sonia

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 8th, 2020, 7:00 am

Working on making my corrections -- Sorry about the "animal noises." Some people have white noise problems in their recording areas -- I have black and white noise problems in the form of my Boston Terrier Frida who likes to curl up next to me when I'm reading and snore loudly...

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » February 8th, 2020, 7:49 am

ktaylor07 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 7:00 am
Working on making my corrections -- Sorry about the "animal noises." Some people have white noise problems in their recording areas -- I have black and white noise problems in the form of my Boston Terrier Frida who likes to curl up next to me when I'm reading and snore loudly...
Ah, that explains it. I couldn't quite tell what animal that was. Thankfully, most of the noises were in the silences. There was just that one instance. Good luck!
Campbell

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 8th, 2020, 9:31 am

Yes, she sounds more like a pig or a Star Wars creature than a dog, doesn't she?

Here's my corrected "Mrs. Hartley" file from the play "The Hartleys"

lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose » February 8th, 2020, 2:10 pm

ktaylor07 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 9:31 am
Yes, she sounds more like a pig or a Star Wars creature than a dog, doesn't she?

Here's my corrected "Mrs. Hartley" file from the play "The Hartleys"

PL OK! Yes, a pig was the first thing that came to my mind. I knew that wasn't too realistic though. Animals can make strange noises sometimes.
Campbell

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 8th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Hooray for the PL Ok on Mrs. Hartley!!

It looks like the only women's roles left open are in "The Sicilian." (I probably shouldn't try reading stage directions until I've got a little more experience, should I?)

Is "The Slave" in the Sicilian" a female role? It seemed that way when I read it. Is there a musical score to go by for the singing?

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » February 8th, 2020, 3:01 pm

ktaylor07 wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 2:20 pm
Hooray for the PL Ok on Mrs. Hartley!!

It looks like the only women's roles left open are in "The Sicilian." (I probably shouldn't try reading stage directions until I've got a little more experience, should I?)

Is "The Slave" in the Sicilian" a female role? It seemed that way when I read it. Is there a musical score to go by for the singing?
There are both Zaide, a young slave girl, or a Slave, Singing (which we only chant, not sing - singing is too hard to edit).

Stage directions, should you choose to do them, are not that hard. Here are some guidelines Sonia and I (mostly Sonia) have provided in the forum at times:

You read the intro and outro words. The words to say are in the first posting.

Please leave at least 4-5 seconds of silence (more is better) between each "chunk" you have to read. I will have to copy/paste each bit out of everyone's original file and paste it in the correct spot in the masterfile - and I start with your file when making the master. So it's helpful if you leave enough cutting out/cutting in space.

You need to read carefully through the text, to find all the stage directions, so basically everything that is not being read by a character. (example: "closes door" or "laughs", "scene 3", Enters and Exits, things like that). Often they are in brackets, but maybe not always.

If you read a character-description right at the beginning of the character's speech, you need to read the name of the character as well. While when the direction shows up in the middle of a speech, you don't have to read the name. Example:
John (putting down the book): Now listen to me... (closing the door)...I need to tell you a secret.
Here you would have to read all that is underlined. So the name in the beginning, but not repeated in the middle.

As far as Dramatis personae go, yes, please read the entire characteristics, for example: "Satan, the great devil, read by..." -- then 5 seconds pause for editing -- "Pug, the less devil, read by ..." -- 5 seconds pause -- "Iniquity, the vice, read by ..." and so on. This is to make sure we have a complete set of voice credits, just in case one of the readers vanishes without handing in their voice credit. Also don't forget to read "Stage Directions, read by_______" We need your voice credit as well.

If in doubt, just record it - easier for me to cut than to track you down when I discover I need something. Any questions, just ask.

Thanks, Todd

ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 » February 8th, 2020, 3:35 pm

That sounds do-able. I'd like to volunteer to read the stage directions for "The Woman Tamer" then.

Just to clarify -- I read staging notes, but not actor's directions for line delivery, right? For example in "Woman Tamer" on Page 16, I would read "Chopsey: On Sofa" but not "Katie: Pleasantly"