COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 013 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 25th, 2020, 5:02 pm My two initial claims are ready:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lovemagic_pierrot_sierra.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sicilian_donpedro_moliere.mp3

I'd like to take Smith the Liar in "The Woman Tamer" for another! :)
Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:shock: I'm so sorry, Tomas, I seem to completely have overlooked these files !!! :oops: But I listened to them now and it was great playacting. I absolutely loved Don Pedro, who sounds like a full-blooded mafioso :lol: excellent job, especially when you get enraged in the end. And the accent is perfect, very subtle, not too hammed up but unmistakably there. :thumbs:

I only found a small textual error, which you may want to edit:

> at 3:11: (p. 56) "oh, oh, what merry sparks !" – I hear "he speaks" :hmm:

And Pierrot was much softer, but equally adorable to listen to. :thumbs: Unfortunately also here you missed a speech:

> after 2:00: you missed the last speech (4 lines) on page 113: "I swear it....[etc]...the most enduring of philosophies."

sorry for the late feedback ! I don't know how I could have missed these. (next time please remind me if I let it lie for so long)

Thank you for the great performances and I am looking forward to hearing you in the Woman Tamer :9:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

PL OK! Nice expression, I really felt her character.
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. MW updated.

Todd
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: January 31st, 2020, 1:59 pm I really felt her character.
I'll treasure that compliment; thank you and for listening! :9:
jfgallagher

Post by jfgallagher »

If Todd will have me, I'd like to take on Jake, the former railroad engineer, from When Witches Ride. I'll see if I can find a gruff persona somewhere :wink:

Jim G.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

JtotheP716 wrote: January 8th, 2020, 2:31 am I uploaded Diana. Let me know what you think. I've been having a little trouble getting my dBs in the right range so if I need to redo it, let me know
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hesaidandshesaid_diana_gerstenberg.mp3
Thanks, Jenn!
Fantastic performance! Your voice is perfect for Diana! You really bring her to life perfectly! Thanks.

First of all the bit rate of your recording is 80 kbps and it should be 128 kbps. Maybe one of our tech-savvy friends here can explain to you how you can change your settings. I can give you an explanation and a link:

"Audio Format: LibriVox uses a specific audio format for its files: mono sound, 44.1 Khz 16-bit audio, encoded in the MP3 format at a constant 128 kbps bit rate. Although there are a lot of technical terms there, you don't need to understand them to create valid files. All you need to know is how to tell your audio editing software to use these settings. See the Wiki article below for step-by-step help."
More Information: LibriVox Wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Tech_Specs

As far as the text is concerned, I have a few notes:

00:35 You omitted “over”: "I'd have gone over there myself—"
but you added an "over" at 00:45: "Oh, I'd love the romance of being (over) there..."
so I think it equals out (and I think it's quite clear which "there" you mean), so you can leave it as is, if you like. :lol:

03:01 Missing line:
DIANA: I do.

04:22 “It’d be most embarrassing for me”… should be “it’s most embarrassing for me”
(I think this changes the meaning a bit. What do you think?)

4:29 You say: “But what if they say is really -- true?
It should be: “But if what they say is really--true-- "
(I think this changes the meaning slightly as well).

04:37 You say:
“I thought I did--but after what she said I began to wonder--"
It should be:
“I thought I did--but after she said it I began to wonder--"
(I'm not sure if this changes the meaning or not - could probably stay as is).

8:35
"Mrs. Packard! Why just a few moments ago in this very room you—"

Here you left out the word “you” at then end, but I think that will be fine when I cut you off.

In the end, the changes are so small, they probably don't make a difference. I'll let you decide which ones you'd like to make. In any case, you'll need to add the missing line and change the bit rate.

One more thing -- it's not necessary for this recording, but in the future please leave 2-3 seconds between your lines for the editor.

Thanks!
TJ
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: January 4th, 2020, 5:52 am Okay, a challenge. I'll pick up the gauntlet and read Felix.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hesaidandshesaid_felix_gerstenberg_128kb.mp3
You rose to the challenge brilliantly, Todd! Wonderful job!

I don’t know how important this is, but you say Felix Hadelman and it should be Felix Haldeman (you put the “l” on the wrong side of the “d” – maybe it’s a regional dialect thing? :lol: )

Felix is PL OK!

Thanks a bunch!
TJ
JtotheP716

Post by JtotheP716 »

benderca wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:55 pm
JtotheP716 wrote: January 8th, 2020, 2:31 am I uploaded Diana. Let me know what you think. I've been having a little trouble getting my dBs in the right range so if I need to redo it, let me know
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hesaidandshesaid_diana_gerstenberg.mp3
Thanks, Jenn!
Fantastic performance! Your voice is perfect for Diana! You really bring her to life perfectly! Thanks.

First of all the bit rate of your recording is 80 kbps and it should be 128 kbps. Maybe one of our tech-savvy friends here can explain to you how you can change your settings. I can give you an explanation and a link:

"Audio Format: LibriVox uses a specific audio format for its files: mono sound, 44.1 Khz 16-bit audio, encoded in the MP3 format at a constant 128 kbps bit rate. Although there are a lot of technical terms there, you don't need to understand them to create valid files. All you need to know is how to tell your audio editing software to use these settings. See the Wiki article below for step-by-step help."
More Information: LibriVox Wiki: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Tech_Specs

As far as the text is concerned, I have a few notes:

00:35 You omitted “over”: "I'd have gone over there myself—"
but you added an "over" at 00:45: "Oh, I'd love the romance of being (over) there..."
so I think it equals out (and I think it's quite clear which "there" you mean), so you can leave it as is, if you like. :lol:

03:01 Missing line:
DIANA: I do.

04:22 “It’d be most embarrassing for me”… should be “it’s most embarrassing for me”
(I think this changes the meaning a bit. What do you think?)

4:29 You say: “But what if they say is really -- true?
It should be: “But if what they say is really--true-- "
(I think this changes the meaning slightly as well).

04:37 You say:
“I thought I did--but after what she said I began to wonder--"
It should be:
“I thought I did--but after she said it I began to wonder--"
(I'm not sure if this changes the meaning or not - could probably stay as is).

8:35
"Mrs. Packard! Why just a few moments ago in this very room you—"

Here you left out the word “you” at then end, but I think that will be fine when I cut you off.

In the end, the changes are so small, they probably don't make a difference. I'll let you decide which ones you'd like to make. In any case, you'll need to add the missing line and change the bit rate.

One more thing -- it's not necessary for this recording, but in the future please leave 2-3 seconds between your lines for the editor.

Thanks!
TJ
How very odd about the bit rate. I'll send you the corrected file tomorrow.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:17 pm
ToddHW wrote: January 4th, 2020, 5:52 am Okay, a challenge. I'll pick up the gauntlet and read Felix.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hesaidandshesaid_felix_gerstenberg_128kb.mp3
You rose to the challenge brilliantly, Todd! Wonderful job!

I don’t know how important this is, but you say Felix Hadelman and it should be Felix Haldeman (you put the “l” on the wrong side of the “d” – maybe it’s a regional dialect thing? :lol: )

Felix is PL OK!

Thanks a bunch!
TJ
Old eyes and small text on screen. Fixed (assuming it was only the voice credit at the start that was wrong?) and uploaded again.

Thanks, Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

I'd like to read the role of Mrs. Hartley in "The Hartleys."
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Welcome. Hope someone has given you the habit-forming addiction warning....

I see you have done the one-minute test and contributed to another project already. So you know that all the important instructions are in that first posting in each project. I have also made a short summary for the important special rules in drama, so here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file, which should be something like: "Iphicrate, prince in love with Eriphyle, read by XXXX" (whatever you want your reader name to be)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 2-3 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 2-3 seconds of pause there, because our editor later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into their master file and it's helpful if they have enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Okay -- Here goes my first attempt for Mrs. Hartley in "The Hartleys"

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays013_03_mrshartley_128kb.mp3