[DR-FULL]Dr Dolittle's Post Office, Hugh Lofting - ke

Plays and other dramatic works
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 15th, 2020, 5:02 pm

benderca wrote:
June 14th, 2020, 4:40 pm
I started with the shorter of the two... cuz... that's just the way I roll... :D

Narrator, Section 15, is PL OK.

I just found one missing "and" that didn't change the meaning at all, and one "could" instead of "would" that also doesn't change the meaning:

4:29
And of course tons and tons of stone would have to be dropped before the new island would begin to show above the water's surface.

You say:
And of course tons and tons of stone would have to be dropped before the new island could begin to show above the water's surface.

I'll try to do the longer chapter tomorrow.
Thanks! I'm not worried about either of those errors. I've updated that in the MW, so now I will assemble section 15 as well! :D

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Section 1 is complete and ready for PL!

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 20th, 2020, 8:28 pm

Section 2 is ready for PL.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 20th, 2020, 9:07 pm

benderca wrote:
May 12th, 2020, 1:57 am
Hi Larry and Devorah,

I thought I’d start with the shorter chapters to make it look like I’ve done an impressive amount of work… :wink:

Again, I’ll reserve judgment and just point out discrepancies between what I hear and what I see (and let you both decide what to do with it). :D

Narrator Sections 8 & 9 are PL OK!

Narrator Section 10:

1:29 You left out the word “and”:
“He was very shy and modest AND when the animals asked him the following night he said in his very well-bred manner:”

Nice reading, as always, Larry!
I'm looking back through PL notes for the narrator, and I just had a listen to this spot in section 10. It sounds fine to me. No need to worry about it, I'll mark that one PL ok.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 26th, 2020, 7:23 pm

One more section completed.

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » June 26th, 2020, 8:22 pm

I decided to go ahead and PL those last two narrator files, so hopefully we can get the last edits done.

Section 13:

6:42 Another made-up word here to trip you up. :wink: Text is "The Royal Ellebubu Pearl Fisheries." I hear "The Royal Elleboo Pearl Fisheries."
15:05 Text here is "And now the Doctor set out with his animals and the old Chief to return to Nyam-Nyam's country from the land where he had been imprisoned." You added an extra word that changes the meaning. I hear "And now the Doctor set out with his animals and told the old Chief to return to Nyam-Nyam's country from the land where he had been imprisoned."
15:57 Text is "...and Dahomey was not likely to bother them again after the fright the Amazons got on their last attack." I hear "...and Dahomey was not likely to bother them again after the fright the Amazons got on their first attack."
18:02 Text is "As Quip-the-Carrier disappeared into the distance with the Doctor's priceless pearl, Dab-Dab turned to Jip and murmured..." I hear "And Quip-the-Carrier disappeared into the distance with the Doctor's priceless pearl. Dab-Dab turned to Jip and murmured..."

Section 14:

15:13 Missing line: "said the giant reptile." (It should be in between the two "asked the Doctor"s, which I'm sure is how it was missed.)
15:51 Text is "For miles at a stretch the Doctor could paddle, without the help of his guide" I hear "For miles at a stretch the Doctor could paddle, with the help of his guide"
18:59 Text is "Then looking up, the Doctor saw on a mound-like island the shape of an enormous turtle" I don't hear the word "on," which changes the image here.
23:42 Text is "Cheapside shook his feathers" I hear "Cheapside took his feathers"

benderca

Post by benderca » June 27th, 2020, 4:35 am

Sorry, Devorah, I had a mega-overload of work these past two weeks, but I'll have a significant break starting Monday, so I'll get to my PLing.

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 3rd, 2020, 9:00 pm

~Larry

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » July 3rd, 2020, 9:25 pm

Ah, good timing! I was just sitting down to get started on editing another section. That's it, Larry! You're all done here! :D :clap:

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 3rd, 2020, 11:40 pm

mightyfelix wrote:
July 3rd, 2020, 9:25 pm
Ah, good timing! I was just sitting down to get started on editing another section. That's it, Larry! You're all done here! :D :clap:
It's been a fun journey! :9:
~Larry

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » July 4th, 2020, 3:15 pm

One more ready for you, TJ.

FYI, my goal is to finish editing on one section per day until these are done! If I meet it, that means that ALL sections will be completed by July 15.

benderca

Post by benderca » July 4th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Wow! This is really well done. Everybody sounds great!

Someone else did the parts PLing on these chapters and presumably gave all these things a pass, but I'll just list them anyway and let you decide. None of them change the meaning or make anything unclear.

Part 1 Chapters 1-2

2:54
The word “me” is missing:
"Go away," said she, "and leave me to my sorrow. Haven't you white men done me enough harm?"

4:21
There should be no “had” in this sentence:
And when the king [had] heard how much money they were willing to give for black slaves he thought he would sell them the prisoners he had taken in the war.

6:03 Should be “his” and not "this":
But Dab-Dab the duck warned him that his boat was very slow and that its sails could be easily seen by the slavers, who would never allow it to come near them.

15:22 Should be “possibly” instead of "perhaps":
"Possibly if you took these things off I might remember."

20:49 Should be "back came" instead of "came back":
Instantly back came word over the swallows' telegraph line that the slavers were warned and were escaping.

Should I continue to list these little things or should I just skip them in my future PLing?

Anyway, everything else is word perfect!
TJ

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix » July 4th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Thanks TJ! I appreciate your thoroughness, but no, don't worry about these things. Most or all of them would require readers to resubmit parts that were already marked PL ok, and some of them aren't even around anymore.

What I do definitely want feedback on are things like volume and spacing. If one character sounds much louder or much softer than everything else, for instance, or if there's an extra long space that sounds awkward. Later on in the story, there will be some group/unison lines, and those tend to be a bit tricky too.

Glad you're enjoying it so far!