[FULL DR - Instruction] The Artist, or Young Ladies' Instructor in Painting, Drawing... - availle

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18746
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » August 10th, 2019, 4:20 pm

Thanks for the file!

since this is a DR and what you deliver are not the final files, we don't need the _128kb at the end for the individual roles. :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

maxgal
Posts: 866
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » August 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Availle wrote:
August 10th, 2019, 4:20 pm
Thanks for the file!

since this is a DR and what you deliver are not the final files, we don't need the _128kb at the end for the individual roles. :D
OK...I don't get the tech talk, but I understand well enough to satisfy this Luddite soul. :shock:
.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal
Posts: 866
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » August 11th, 2019, 11:30 am

O -- when I said I want to make sure section 1 is OK before I do more sections, it's because this is my first DR project, and I want to make sure I'm doing it "right" with the first round, before I drop more rounds on you. :D
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal
Posts: 866
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » August 11th, 2019, 6:16 pm

maxgal wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 11:30 am
O -- when I said I want to make sure section 1 is OK before I do more sections, it's because this is my first DR project, and I want to make sure I'm doing it "right" with the first round, before I drop more rounds on you. :D
...LJB
...O, AND...
Since this is DR, I would like to think that my reading is appropriately "entertaining," and so I'd like to know how I sound to other ears -- i.e., a little constructive criticism is always welcome. :D
Louise
"every little breeze..."

maxgal
Posts: 866
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » August 15th, 2019, 8:28 am

maxgal wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 11:30 am
O -- when I said I want to make sure section 1 is OK before I do more sections, it's because this is my first DR project, and I want to make sure I'm doing it "right" with the first round, before I drop more rounds on you. :D
...LJB
...in this regard...
Should I just wait for someone to PL section 1?
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18746
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » August 16th, 2019, 4:04 am

Since we don't have a DPL at this point, I have to do the PLing myself for now, which will take a bit longer than usual I'm afraid. I'm very busy at work, and my environment is rather noisy at the moment. It's actually quite hard to find half an hour of quiet time to PL this against the text...

Anyway,

your intro is PL OK! - actually it's word perfect! :clap:

Nice reading, very good spacing between the lines, you don't need an outro to the file (because it'll be cut anyway) but do leave those couple of seconds at the end. Very well done!

Since you're asking for Constructive Criticism:
You sound as if you're giving a very serious lecture to a very serious group of elderly experts who know 10x as much as you do about the subject. :lol:
In fact, you are talking to your cousin (and your aunt). You can RELAX, you're with family! :D I like the seriousness in your tone, but if you can move a bit towards a more conversational mode, I think it would sound better once everything is cut together.

Careful with the file names in the future - I have moved your finished file downwards; the next one should be artist_charlotte_02 nonetheless :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

maxgal
Posts: 866
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » August 16th, 2019, 9:03 am

Availle wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 4:04 am
Since we don't have a DPL at this point, I have to do the PLing myself for now, which will take a bit longer than usual I'm afraid. I'm very busy at work, and my environment is rather noisy at the moment. It's actually quite hard to find half an hour of quiet time to PL this against the text...

Anyway,

your intro is PL OK! - actually it's word perfect! :clap:

Nice reading, very good spacing between the lines, you don't need an outro to the file (because it'll be cut anyway) but do leave those couple of seconds at the end. Very well done!

Since you're asking for Constructive Criticism:
You sound as if you're giving a very serious lecture to a very serious group of elderly experts who know 10x as much as you do about the subject. :lol:
In fact, you are talking to your cousin (and your aunt). You can RELAX, you're with family! :D I like the seriousness in your tone, but if you can move a bit towards a more conversational mode, I think it would sound better once everything is cut together.

Careful with the file names in the future - I have moved your finished file downwards; the next one should be artist_charlotte_02 nonetheless :wink:
No problem with the timing; I'm not in a hurry!
And yes, I try to make "everything" I do for LV word perfect. :D
As to the tone ... I didn't realize I sounded quite so serious! :shock:
Is it really that extreme?
Believe it or not, I am generally pretty relaxed... 8-)
I think the serious tone is partly because I read aloud slowly -- otherwise I tend to trip over words, skip words, etc.
And I have an academic background.
But I'll definitely keep the advice in mind.
THANK YOU...LJB
(Here's a threat: I might end up redoing the Intro.)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18746
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » August 16th, 2019, 4:14 pm

It's not extreme at all, and especially in the first section with Mommy present and everything, I think it's okay. And maybe it's the first time Charlotte is doing the teachy-stuff.
It's hard to deduce how old Charlotte is in comparison to Ellen, but as I said: you're her (older?) cousin, not her governess ;-)

It's quite difficult to read a conversation, and here the individual lines are pretty long too. And maybe Charlotte is just a more serious person to begin with, not everybody is happy-happy-joy-joy all the time.

No need to reread
that section, better forcus on the future ones (it's no fun redoing a section and re-PLing the whole thing is no fun either. :wink:)

What part of academia are you coming from?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

maxgal
Posts: 866
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » August 16th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Availle wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 4:14 pm
It's not extreme at all, and especially in the first section with Mommy present and everything, I think it's okay. And maybe it's the first time Charlotte is doing the teachy-stuff.
It's hard to deduce how old Charlotte is in comparison to Ellen, but as I said: you're her (older?) cousin, not her governess ;-)

It's quite difficult to read a conversation, and here the individual lines are pretty long too. And maybe Charlotte is just a more serious person to begin with, not everybody is happy-happy-joy-joy all the time.

No need to reread
that section, better forcus on the future ones (it's no fun redoing a section and re-PLing the whole thing is no fun either. :wink:)

What part of academia are you coming from?
HA! It may well be Cousin Charlotte's first teachy gig. :lol:
I think of Charlotte as young-ish adult, and Ellen as mid-teens.
I teach law school classes, some of which are "scary" and others more "fun"...LJB 8-)
Louise
"every little breeze..."

RealityKills
Posts: 2
Joined: August 23rd, 2019, 3:38 pm

Post by RealityKills » August 23rd, 2019, 4:10 pm

I'm a new volunteer, but I'd be interested in reading for Momma. I read a bit to see if it would be a good fit, and love the long rambly sentences!
All beginnings have a consequence. All beginnings end something.

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18746
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » August 24th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Hi there and welcome to LV and to this project. :D

I'm happy to let you read Momma, but please do a quick 1-minute-test beforehand so that we can tease out the best from our equipment. More details are in your welcome email.

To sign you up, I'll need a "catalog name" under which you'll be entered into the database. That can be your forum name, your real name, another pseudonym... We can also link to your website if you like.

Just holler if you have questions and don't forget to let me know when you got your test [OK]ed ;-)
Have fun on here!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

KevinS
Posts: 9384
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 24th, 2019, 5:34 pm

I suppose this is silly to say, but should you have too, too much trouble finding an Ellen, I could do the job (but not the voice.) I liked the look of this project from the start and I hope you can find a full cast to complete it.

We used to have, in Wisconsin, art lessons on the radio. Schools across the state would plan their schedules to match the radio broadcast so that rural school could have art instruction. This recording reminds me of this.

There were music lessons, too!
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

maxgal
Posts: 866
Joined: June 8th, 2019, 10:24 am

Post by maxgal » August 24th, 2019, 5:50 pm

Hello again Ava, just FYI...
I'm still here!
Life has been landing on me lately, from all sides.
I plan to get back into this project within the next week.
Charlotte Lives. :shock:
...LJB
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 18746
Joined: August 1st, 2009, 11:30 pm
Contact:

Post by Availle » August 24th, 2019, 10:48 pm

No problem Louise, DRs are usually taking a long time. As long as you're checking in so I know you're still willing to record this, we're not in a hurry. :D


Kevin.... :?
yes, it is indeed "silly to say", given that there are only female roles in this one. And even more so since there are literally dozens of male roles still open in many other dramatic readings / plays that are looking for somebody to give them some TLC.

Not to mention those way more than 100 sections you have claimed in other projects.
So...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

KevinS
Posts: 9384
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » August 25th, 2019, 1:02 am

Availle wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 10:48 pm
You would make a great Ellen!

As I say, good luck with the project.
Sunday is a good PL day for me.

Post Reply