OPEN[DR]DR Scene and Story Collection, Volume 002 by Various - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker » July 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Here is my upload of the part of "Duchess" in "The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan".
Duration: 7:05

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thetaleofthepieandthepattypan_duchess_beatrixpotter.mp3

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 4th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Lovely Jubbly!

(So I take it that you don't object to:

'in your arse you are perfect'

That's what it sounds like to me! :lol: )

Maybe I'm just a very peculiar individual! :wink:
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 4th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Hello Betsy,

I think that your performance here is absolutely lovely! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I shall be editing this particular endeavor, but I still need to clarify a few things with 'the Boss' (Elizabby! :D)

So, I shall wait for her approval before I take it any further! :wink:

(I haven't even had time to narrate the dang thang yet! :lol: )

However, I must say that whatever issues may arise from actual recording levels, (the bane of my life,)
you have lovely voice, and I am very grateful that you have chosen to participate!

Andrew
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...

BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker » July 4th, 2019, 3:06 pm

johnnyenglish wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 12:48 pm
Hello Betsy,

I think that your performance here is absolutely lovely! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I shall be editing this particular endeavor, but I still need to clarify a few things with 'the Boss' (Elizabby! :D)

So, I shall wait for her approval before I take it any further! :wink:

(I haven't even had time to narrate the dang thang yet! :lol: )

However, I must say that whatever issues may arise from actual recording levels, (the bane of my life,)
you have lovely voice, and I am very grateful that you have chosen to participate!

Andrew
Thank you so much, Andrew! I love reading for LibriVox. Whenever I do it I feel a little bit like I'm playing hookey - not doing things that I'm "supposed" to be doing, but just having fun! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Betsy

BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker » July 4th, 2019, 3:39 pm

johnnyenglish wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 12:48 pm
However, I must say that whatever issues may arise from actual recording levels ...
Andrew
Please let me know if there is anything in my recording levels that could be better. I use Audacity and am still learning how to finesse the Amplify tool. Also, you'll hear in the middle that there is one piece I had to insert. (I won't say right now what that is, to see if it sticks out badly and is obvious to you.) I did my best to adjust it to the same level and tone as the rest of the recording. To me - it's not perfect. If you hear it and need it redone, please let me know.

Betsy

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 4th, 2019, 4:09 pm

Sorry sweety - I totally refuse to give anyone advice on recording - I do not consider myself qualified! :wink:

However, I am sure that Elizabby will be able to help you, if you need any advice! :)

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 4th, 2019, 4:47 pm

BetsyWalker wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Here is my upload of the part of "Duchess" in "The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan".
Duration: 7:05

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thetaleofthepieandthepattypan_duchess_beatrixpotter.mp3
Thanks Betsy! I just woke up (being in a different time zone from most of you) so I’ll PL this later today.

Andrew, the procedure is that the DPL (that’s me) checks the file, the reader makes any needed corrections, then once it is given the OK, then you download it and edit it into your narration file. The volumes always need to be balanced at that point anyway - I just match them to the narration file by looking at the sound waves in Audacity.

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 4th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Sweet! Sorted! (I am totally taking your lead here!)

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 4th, 2019, 10:54 pm

BetsyWalker wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 3:39 pm

Please let me know if there is anything in my recording levels that could be better. I use Audacity and am still learning how to finesse the Amplify tool. Also, you'll hear in the middle that there is one piece I had to insert. (I won't say right now what that is, to see if it sticks out badly and is obvious to you.) I did my best to adjust it to the same level and tone as the rest of the recording. To me - it's not perfect. If you hear it and need it redone, please let me know.

Betsy
It's fine - your recording of Duchess is all PL OK! :thumbs: I especially like your delivery of the key line: "Then I must have been eating MOUSE!... No wonder I feel ill.... But perhaps I should feel worse if I had really swallowed a patty-pan!"

In terms of the audio, I can hear that there is one line in the middle which sounds slightly different in tone from the rest, but not so much as to need to do anything about it. It's still clearly the same character, and that's what matters.

If I were going to make one comment, it would be that occasionally there is some background noise - I think probably from your clothes as you move around while recording, as it was most noticeable during the scene when Duchess is taken ill. That's just something to be aware of when recording dramatic scenes - the microphone is quite sensitive! But you don't need to do anything here, this recording is fine.

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 4th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Andrew, the part of Duchess is ready for download and editing in whenever your narration file is ready. It's in the Magic Window, so it can just sit there until you are ready and your file is PL OK as well.

Just one caution about the volume levels - the middle part is a bit louder than the rest, which is appropriate for when Duchess thinks she is unwell, but if you try to amplify the whole file this part will probably clip (distort from being too loud) so my suggestion would be to touch this file as little as possible, as the sound levels are pretty even otherwise and shouldn't require amplification.

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 5th, 2019, 5:00 am

Hello Elizabby,

Here is the narration for the Beatrix Potter story, ready to be checked!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thetaleofthepieandandthepattypan_narrator_beatrixpotter_128kb.mp3

(I will rename the file once all reads are in place.)

johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish » July 5th, 2019, 5:07 am

As usual - forgot to tell you the run time!

11:7.04

How do I get hold of files from the MW of other Folk's reads?

BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker » July 5th, 2019, 6:10 am

Elizabby wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 10:54 pm
It's fine - your recording of Duchess is all PL OK! :thumbs: I especially like your delivery of the key line: "Then I must have been eating MOUSE!... No wonder I feel ill.... But perhaps I should feel worse if I had really swallowed a patty-pan!"

In terms of the audio, I can hear that there is one line in the middle which sounds slightly different in tone from the rest, but not so much as to need to do anything about it. It's still clearly the same character, and that's what matters.

If I were going to make one comment, it would be that occasionally there is some background noise - I think probably from your clothes as you move around while recording, as it was most noticeable during the scene when Duchess is taken ill. That's just something to be aware of when recording dramatic scenes - the microphone is quite sensitive! But you don't need to do anything here, this recording is fine.
Hi Elizabby -

Thank you very much for this feedback. I will try to sit more still the next time I read and will listen more carefully for that background noise when editing, too. It would probably be good for me to go back and listen again to hear what you mention. I can always try to get better!

Betsy

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » July 7th, 2019, 3:58 am

johnnyenglish wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 5:00 am
Hello Elizabby,

Here is the narration for the Beatrix Potter story, ready to be checked!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/thetaleofthepieandandthepattypan_narrator_beatrixpotter_128kb.mp3

(I will rename the file once all reads are in place.)
I've marked this PL OK because all the lines are present, however there are a couple of extra "said Duchess" lines which should be easy enough to cut in editing.

In the MW on the first page you will see "link" if you right click the link you should get the option to download the file. It will be an MP3, which you can then open in Audacity. I usually make a copy of my narration file before I start, just in case something happens. I first balance the volumes by eye and ear, making the volume match my narration file before editing in the voice files.

It's up to you whether you edit in each part as it is submitted or wait for all to be ready and do them together. My Ribby file probably won't be ready until the end of the month, as I'm about to have some more surgery and will need to recover from that.

BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker » July 7th, 2019, 6:45 am

Has the Narrator of "The Diamond Necklace" been assigned? I'm a little confused as I see that the story's title has been assigned. Will that person be reading the Narrator? If not and if the Narrator is still Open, I'd like to read it.

Betsy