COMPLETE[DR]DR Scene and Story Collection, Volume 002 by Various - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lucasoliveira

Post by Lucasoliveira »

Thank you Elizabby!

I forgot to put on the list of roles a character that was already in the script. :oops:

The updated list:

Number of roles: 9

Narrator, Bacteriologist, Anarchist, Minnie, Old Tootles, Ostler Boy , Tommy Biles, Cabman, Another Cabman(The role that I'll read).

If has any more mistakes or if I can improve something, please let me know.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'll update the MW with the new character.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'd like to BC Chapters 3&4 of the Wind in the Willows, please. I'll take the one-line part of the rabbit, but will PL the other files, and edit the final file. This is my first attempt at a google.doc, so I may have made mistakes. As well as colour coding, all parts are searchable as all-caps, followed by a colon (e.g. NARRATOR: ).

Peter

The Wind in the Willows, Chapters 3 and 4 - Kenneth Grahame

PD link: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/289

Author on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Grahame

Date of death: 1932

Original publication: 1908

7 roles (in approximate decreasing order of size of part):

NARRATOR
RAT
MOLE
BADGER (Ideally, read in a rather gruff voice)
OTTER
HEDGEHOG (a child of a peasant family)
RABBIT (one line)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d-_dvvV4xwfKuBoZ2CC8CMjocL4UpA3GJeTFK1njR_I/edit?usp=sharing
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. I assume you believe that the two chapters will fit together in the ~hour and ten minutes max? Or did you want two sections, one for each chapter?

Thank, Todd
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

I would like to read the Narrator for Wind in the Willows. :9:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Todd, I think it might need two sections, but I won't know until the final edit.

I just read a page consisting of all narration, which took me five minutes, giving a potential maximum total of one hour, twenty five minutes; and I read a page mainly comprising conversation, which took me four minutes, giving a total of 68 minutes.

So could you assign me two sections, please, but, if we're lucky, we might get away with one.

Chapter 3 just has: narrator, rat, mole, rabbit.
Chapter 4 has: narrator, rat, mole, badger, hedgehog, otter

thestorygirl: I'm happy for you to read the narrator; it's rather gentle and poetic. Have a lovely time with it.

mp3 files should generally be named something like: windinthewillows_rabbit_grahame

and should include a reader acknowledgement ... like "rabbit read by Peter Yearsley"

thestorygirl: as the google doc stands, both chapters are part of the same recording, but in case we over-run, could you also include the intros and outros for a two section recording, please? That's "Chapter three of the Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame" and "The end of Chapter three of the Wind in the Willows", and "Chapter four of the Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame" and "The end of Chapter four of the Wind in the Willows"

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on June 8th, 2019, 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Here's the rabbit for Wind in the Willows: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/windinwillows_rabbit_grahame.mp3

10 seconds long.
Peter
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Peter Why wrote: June 6th, 2019, 9:47 am
thestorygirl: I'm happy for you to read the narrator; it's rather gentle and poetic. Have a lovely time with it.

thestorygirl: as the google doc stands, both chapters are part of the same recording, but in case we over-run, could you also include the intros and outros for a two section recording, please? That's "Chapter three of the Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame" and "The end of Chapter three of the Wind in the Willows", and "Chapter four of the Wind in the Willows, by Kenneth Grahame" and "The end of Chapter four of the Wind in the Willows"

Peter
Noted, and thank you! :D
Lucasoliveira

Post by Lucasoliveira »

Lucasoliveira wrote: June 5th, 2019, 9:13 pm
I forgot to put on the list of roles a character that was already in the script. :oops:

The updated list:

Narrator, Bacteriologist, Anarchist, Minnie, Old Tootles, Ostler Boy , Tommy Biles, Cabman, Another Cabman(The role that I'll read).
Elizabby wrote: June 5th, 2019, 11:10 pm I'll update the MW with the new character.
Could you please add "Tommy Biles" to the MW?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Done! Sorry, I must have missed him the first time around!
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Hello Todd, this looks like a lovely project, so I thought I would try out for Badger.
(Hopefully this is a little more 'editor freindly' than my first effort!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/windinthe_willows_badger_grahame.mp3.mp3

Time is irrelavent- I have tried to leave silent space between soundbytes for easier editing.

Peter: Couple of things (which I only noticed as I was reading Badger's lines.) In the Google doc
there are a couple of 'Narrator' bits highlighted as 'Badger' lines.

These are as follows:

BADGER: ‘When lunch is over,’
NARRATOR: he said,
BADGER: ‘I’ll take you all round this little place of mine. I can see you’ll appreciate it. You understand what domestic architecture ought to be, you do.’

And:

BADGER: ‘Well, well,’
NARRATOR: said the Badger, patting him on the shoulder,
BADGER: ‘it was your first experience of them, you see. They’re not so bad really; and we must all live and let live. But I’ll pass the word around tomorrow, and I think you’ll have no further trouble. Any friend of MINE walks where he likes in this country, or I’ll know the reason why!’

NARRATOR: When they got back to the kitchen again, they found the Rat walking up and down, very restless. The underground atmosphere was oppressing him and getting on his nerves, and he seemed really to be afraid that the river would run away if he wasn’t there to look after it. So he had his overcoat on, and his pistols thrust into his belt again.

Hopefully that may be of some use to the Narrator! (I'm sure it's easy to miss this kind of thing - I'm still trying to work out Google Docs myself!)

Also - and this is a judgement call - I have a question about just one more teensy weensy thing.

He sat in his arm-chair at the head of the table, and nodded gravely at intervals as the animals told their story; and he did not seem surprised or shocked at anything, and he never said,
BADGER: ‘I told you so,’
NARRATOR: or,
BADGER: ‘Just what I always said,’
NARRATOR: or remarked that they ought to have done so-and-so, or ought not to have done something else. The Mole began to feel very friendly towards him.

As Badger never actually said these things, might it not be more appropriate for the Narrator to say:

He sat in his arm-chair at the head of the table, and nodded gravely at intervals as the animals told their story; and he did not seem surprised or shocked at anything, and he never said, ‘I told you so,’ or, ‘Just what I always said,’ or remarked that they ought to have done so-and-so, or ought not to have done something else. The Mole began to feel very friendly towards him.

I've recorded the lines anyway, so no worries there... I just thought that I would suggest it for consideration!

Um... Forgot to record a 'read by' credit, but if my voice don't fit the role, feel free to discard this recording. (It's all practice, as far
as I'm concerned - and it gives me summat to do!)

Oh yeah - looks like I c*cked up the naming protocols again! (Feel free to fix!)
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Glad you are so enthusiastic. However:

You should claim a section before recording. Sometime you will find that someone else already has that section (and perhaps the MW list is incorrect) and you will have recorded for nothing.

Giving the timing is so that if your file cuts off for some reason, we can see if it is an upload or download error. (That said, many people do not include it in the short snippets of dramatic works. Here your file will be reviewed before editing, after editing, and then before cataloging, but in book projects there will only be the single PL between you and possible embarrassment.)

You already know you have the file name wrong. Here we can live with it becuz it is only Peter's consolidated file that gets cataloged; again in book projects it will be a problem.

Thanks, Todd
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for those highlight corrections, johnnyenglish. I've made the changes you suggest; I had wondered about the last when I was making the file, but I've now decided to go along with your preference.

I'll PL your file shortly; as you mentioned, you saved the file as *.mp3.mp3. The suffix is added automatically by the sound editing program.

thestorygirl: these changes are in Chapter 4. I hope you've not got that far yet. I'm sorry if you need to change your file

Peter
Last edited by Peter Why on November 28th, 2019, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyenglish

Post by johnnyenglish »

Dudes and Dudettes!

I honestly don't give a monkeys if I am 'wasting' my time - as long as I'm not wasting yours! :wink:

As far as I am concerned, it's all good practise for me, even if it doesn't get used in the end!

(At the moment, my major project is a Solo reading of 'The War of the Worlds', by Herbert G. I just like to
take a break from it now and then... Also, I have, at times, found it pretty difficult doing so many different
voices in one reading - so this thread is giving me loads of useful tips - honest injun!)

Todd: Noticed your Herbert G. collaborative post - very tempted! I've already done 'In The Avu Observatory'
for 'Short Stories 080' - just compiled and made available. Obviously, I don't want to do it again, (and it's fun hearing another readers take on a story!)
But, if you get the chance, check it out (it's un-named, but it's the first in the anthology.)

Basically, would you like a visit from me in your H. G. post - or should I steer clear? :lol:

Peter: I am glad that I was able to help! (When you are looking at a forest, it can be difficult to see individual trees...
WHOA!!! THAT sounded really cool, dinnit! :lol: )
I have absolutely nothing in this world but time - so I believe I should invest it wisely...