FULL, COMEDIC PLAY] Ann by Lechmere Worrall - dlo

Plays and other dramatic works
Post Reply
elsieselwyn
Posts: 1518
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » May 27th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Ann by Lechmere Worrall (1874 - 1957).

Volunteers outside the USA: Lechmere Worrall died in 1957. His/Her work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.

Edward Hargraves, a young author, is encouraged by his mother and friend, Billy, to marry a woman in order to understand the fairer sex better and thereby characterize them better in his next book. While he attempts to follow their advice and marry Evangeline, a pleasant but rather uninteresting woman, a daring American reporter, Ann, has set her eyes on him. She will stop at nothing to gain an interview with him - and his love. ( Elsie Selwyn)
    1. Is there a deadline?
      We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    2. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
      To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    3. New to recording?
      Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/anncomedyinthree00worr/page/8
    5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

      If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.



      Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!


      Magic Window:



      BC Admin ============================================

      Genres for the project: Plays/Comedy

      Keywords that describe the book: comedy, women, play, romance, marriage, author

      ============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

      Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

      Submit one file per act.
    7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      [Role], read by [your name].

      If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:At the beginning: Act [#] of Ann , by Lechmere Worrall. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

      At the end: End of Act [#].

      Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Save files as 128 kbps MP3
      ann_[role]_[#]_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the act number.


      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        Image
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: dlolso21
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

      Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by elsieselwyn on August 12th, 2019, 7:31 am, edited 12 times in total.

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1518
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » May 27th, 2019, 8:28 pm

I will PL all parts and edit the play together. I will need a DPL for the finished play combined together.

MC most welcome! :D

leanneyauyau
Posts: 860
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Post by leanneyauyau » May 28th, 2019, 2:08 am

May I claim Ann Anning?
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1518
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » May 28th, 2019, 2:09 am

leanneyauyau wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:08 am
May I claim Ann Anning?
Sure! It’s all yours - I’ll put you in when the MW is up.

leanneyauyau
Posts: 860
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Post by leanneyauyau » May 28th, 2019, 2:45 am

Excellent! I love doing American accents.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page

thestorygirl
Posts: 617
Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 6:07 pm
Contact:

Post by thestorygirl » May 28th, 2019, 1:58 pm

I'd love to sign up for Evangeline. :?:

leanneyauyau
Posts: 860
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Post by leanneyauyau » May 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm

thestorygirl wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:58 pm
I'd love to sign up for Evangeline. :?:
Ooh, are you going to do a British voice Trisha? Accent swap :lol:
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1518
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » May 28th, 2019, 2:03 pm

thestorygirl wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 1:58 pm
I'd love to sign up for Evangeline. :?:
Absolutely - I’ll put you in when a MC has prepared the MW.

thestorygirl
Posts: 617
Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 6:07 pm
Contact:

Post by thestorygirl » May 28th, 2019, 5:12 pm

leanneyauyau wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm


Ooh, are you going to do a British voice Trisha? Accent swap :lol:
I hadn't noticed accent requirements, but I can do my best version. It wouldn't be the first time. Will this be a battle of the accents? :P

leanneyauyau
Posts: 860
Joined: January 31st, 2016, 12:33 pm
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Post by leanneyauyau » May 28th, 2019, 5:15 pm

thestorygirl wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 5:12 pm
leanneyauyau wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm


Ooh, are you going to do a British voice Trisha? Accent swap :lol:
I hadn't noticed accent requirements, but I can do my best version. It wouldn't be the first time. Will this be a battle of the accents? :P
I challenge you to a duel :D

Librivox never had accent requirements, but if you read the play, it's about a British man who knows nothing about women ditching a boring British prude (Evangeline) for the American Anne.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page

SonOfTheExiles
Posts: 1287
Joined: December 20th, 2013, 1:14 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Post by SonOfTheExiles » May 28th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Do you suppose that his bohemian artist friend Billy could be from Her Majesty’s Sunburnt Dominion? :wink:

I can make it somewhat more “Cultured Australian”, rather than sounding like a member of the Push as I have done once or twice recently.

Cheers,
Chris
"Sorry, my tongue got in the way of my eye-tooth, and I couldn't see what I was saying..."
_________________
My LV catalogue page
Son of the Exiles YouTube Channel
Featured Plays

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1518
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » May 28th, 2019, 6:43 pm

SonOfTheExiles wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 6:08 pm
Do you suppose that his bohemian artist friend Billy could be from Her Majesty’s Sunburnt Dominion? :wink:

I can make it somewhat more “Cultured Australian”, rather than sounding like a member of the Push as I have done once or twice recently.

Cheers,
Chris
Absolutely! Thank you for joining! I'll put you in when the MW is ready

thestorygirl
Posts: 617
Joined: February 22nd, 2011, 6:07 pm
Contact:

Post by thestorygirl » May 29th, 2019, 9:28 am

leanneyauyau wrote:
May 28th, 2019, 5:15 pm
I challenge you to a duel :D

Librivox never had accent requirements, but if you read the play, it's about a British man who knows nothing about women ditching a boring British prude (Evangeline) for the American Anne.
You're on! :D
Yeah, I figured I could at least pull off the boring prude. :lol:

Elizabby
Posts: 8704
Joined: April 1st, 2011, 5:36 pm
Location: Kelsingra

Post by Elizabby » May 29th, 2019, 11:27 pm

Hi Elsie! I'd be happy to DPL the finished piece for you!

Just a comment after reading the script: You may need to give some directions to the narrator (assuming you are not going to narrate this yourself) as there are a LOT of stage directions which don't actually add anything to the action. I'd suggest asking the narrator not to read any of the purely "movement" directions (such as "Coming down C.") as the stage directions don't actually add anything to the audio version and can IMO be omitted. Most of the "style" directions can likewise be left out, again there are a lot of these which are better conveyed by the actors (such as "impulsively", "significantly", "severely", etc). If you DO want any of these then you might want to ask the narrator to give the name of the character speaking first, as it can be hard to know, so I would ask the narrator to say something like "Mrs Hargreaves, whispering to Edward" or "Ann starts as if she were going to say something" even if the script doesn't actually have the character's name given there.

elsieselwyn
Posts: 1518
Joined: March 28th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Post by elsieselwyn » May 30th, 2019, 6:12 am

Elizabby wrote:
May 29th, 2019, 11:27 pm
Hi Elsie! I'd be happy to DPL the finished piece for you!

Just a comment after reading the script: You may need to give some directions to the narrator (assuming you are not going to narrate this yourself) as there are a LOT of stage directions which don't actually add anything to the action. I'd suggest asking the narrator not to read any of the purely "movement" directions (such as "Coming down C.") as the stage directions don't actually add anything to the audio version and can IMO be omitted. Most of the "style" directions can likewise be left out, again there are a lot of these which are better conveyed by the actors (such as "impulsively", "significantly", "severely", etc). If you DO want any of these then you might want to ask the narrator to give the name of the character speaking first, as it can be hard to know, so I would ask the narrator to say something like "Mrs Hargreaves, whispering to Edward" or "Ann starts as if she were going to say something" even if the script doesn't actually have the character's name given there.
Thank you for DPLing! I think I’ll narrate as long as you’re willing to PL this as well. Thank you for your advice on narrating - I think you’re right.

Post Reply