COMPLETE[PLAY]The Eunuch by Terence - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ToddHW wrote: October 14th, 2019, 4:40 am You can leave out "The Subject" and "The Summary" - too many spoilers. But please leave in "The Title" and "The Prologue".

Thanks, Todd
You got it!
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Editing the stage directions tonight.

I'm not sure I got all of the front matter of the play the way it should be, so thought I'd go ahead and send in Act 1 first;

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/eunuchus_stagedirections_1_128kb.mp3
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: October 25th, 2019, 9:33 pm I'm not sure I got all of the front matter of the play the way it should be, so thought I'd go ahead and send in Act 1 first;
excellent start, Larry. And yes the front matter is included the way Todd suggested, so all is well there. I have only a few notes to correct:

> at 0:22: please include at least the title "Dramatis personae". I think so far I made sure that every voice credit has the entire description read, so it may not be necessary for you to read them all out this time (but be prepared to read the one or the other if we find out they're missing :wink: ), and the title should definitely be read by the narrator

> at 1:40: "has described him from whom the gold is demanded" - you say "gods"

> at 4:15: "Parmeno apart" - you say "Phaedria"

thanks !

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you for all these Larry !!! wonderfully narrated again, although this time you made me work quite a bit ;) especially in Act 4, I was wondering whether you gave me maybe an unedited file :hmm:

Here are the PL notes:

Act 2:

> at about 3:01: missed line: "going"

Act 3:

> at about 0:29: missing: "Gnatho, aside"
> at about 0:33: missing: "aside"
> at about 1:06: missing: "He comes forward"
> at about 2:14: missing: "pointing at Thraso"
> at 2:16: stumble and repeat: "pointing to CHÆREA and the ÆTHIOPIAN" - can be cut
> at 2:38: "Gnatho, laughing" - you also have to include the name
> at 2:50: "Thais, to her attendants" - name needs to be included
> at 4:40: "exeunt" - you say "exit"

Act 4:

> for some reason this is in stereo, needs to be converted to mono
> at 0:36: "Phaedria to himself" - you say "herself"
> at 1:18: "with Dorus in Chaerea's clothes" - from this point on you keep saying "Dorias", but these are two different persons :? Dorias is a woman and Dorus is the Eunuch. All the following need to be "Dorus"
> at 1:25: "Dorus crying out"
> at 1:48: "to Dorus"
> at 1:53: "Pythias to Dorus"
> at 1:57: "Dorus shakes his head"
> at 2:02: "Phaedria to Dorus"
> at 2:11: "Phaedria apart to Dorus"
> at 2:15: "Dorus steps aside"
> at 2:23: "aside to Dorus"
> at about 2:29: missing "aside"
> at 2:45: "follows Dorus into the house"
> at about 3:52: missing "aside"
> at 4:19: "takes his place behind the second rank" - you say "trunk"
> at 5:25: "exeunt omnes" - you say "exit"

Act 5:

> at 3:21: "Charea to himself aloud" - you say "herself"

phew....now I need a break :lol:

Sonia
OwenCook

Post by OwenCook »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

OwenCook wrote: November 16th, 2019, 8:20 pmHere is Chremes! Please let me know if anything isn't as it should be.
wow Owen, how cool was this ? I adored the drunk performance in Act 4 :lol: :9: excellently played out, especially noting that gradually he is sobering up again towards the end.

No lines missing, all perfectly played out.

Oh yes, there is just one thing missing and that's the voice credit:

> for the voice credit, could you please always say the full description like it's written in the MW: "Chremes, a young man, brother of Pamphila, read by Owen Cook"

I'll mark Acts 4 and 5 PL ok already, could you complete the voice credit in Act 3 and reupload please ? Then all is perfect.

Thank you. Now only waiting for Larry's corrections and then this play is done 8-)

Sonia
OwenCook

Post by OwenCook »

Kitty wrote: November 17th, 2019, 7:33 am Oh yes, there is just one thing missing and that's the voice credit:

> for the voice credit, could you please always say the full description like it's written in the MW: "Chremes, a young man, brother of Pamphila, read by Owen Cook"

I'll mark Acts 4 and 5 PL ok already, could you complete the voice credit in Act 3 and reupload please ? Then all is perfect.
Oh gosh, how silly of me! I honestly didn't think to read the full description; I just assumed it was "Chremes" and left it at that. Here's the corrected version:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/eunuchus_chremes_3_128kb.mp3
Kitty wrote: November 17th, 2019, 7:33 am wow Owen, how cool was this ? I adored the drunk performance in Act 4 :lol: :9: excellently played out, especially noting that gradually he is sobering up again towards the end.
Aww, thanks so much! :9: That's exactly what I was going for; I'm glad the gradual sobering up thing came across as intended! (He's not 100% sober even by Act V, but at least he's functional.)

Thanks again!
~~Owen
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

OwenCook wrote: November 19th, 2019, 9:28 pmOh gosh, how silly of me! I honestly didn't think to read the full description; I just assumed it was "Chremes" and left it at that.
yes we try to get the reader say the full description, so we don't need the narrator to be inserted at that part. It's neater :)

All PL ok now, thank you !!! See you in the next one, hopefully.
I'm glad the gradual sobering up thing came across as intended!
I notice such subtleties ;) yes with the news he got I think it's normal that he gets a sort of ice-water-bucket sobering-up by and by. :lol:

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, I am too embarrassed by this. Quite a mess.
And, instead of helping this along, I've held it up.

These chapters were easy to put corrections two, just one or a few to each, so here they are:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/eunuchus_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/eunuchus_stagedirections_5_128kb.mp3

I'm editing 3 and 4 but wanted to go ahead and post these so you have something in case I crash tonight. Another 12-hr day on the phones.

BTW, so glad to see another Pinero out in the wild. Emphasis on the "wild," I guess. I think we all had a lot of fun with it.

ETA: Well, Act 3 wasn't too bad, so here you go: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/eunuchus_stagedirections_3_128kb.mp3'

In Act 4, I found one correction that I did wrong, so it's done except for that and I'll do it in the morning. I should have a good session of recording.
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

super corrections, Larry, thank you so much. Now Todd can get going when he comes back. :9: All PL ok, bar Act 4 which is not uploaded yet.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Great. I'll finish this off when I am back in town.

Thanks, Todd
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here is the infamous Act 4.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/eunuchus_stagedirections_4_128kb.mp3

I have no idea how that got exported as stereo.
Some strange things happened with my Audacity about the dame time, I think, and some things came out with the wrong bit rate. I never touch my settings, so it was all a mystery. I may occasionally export a .flac file, but that's it.

I do sometimes have a problem with gender pronouns, but mixing up Dorius adn Dorus was sure a blunder.

Anyway, I hope this will complete this act.

Thanks again for your wonderful work!
~ Larry