OPEN[PLAY]The "Mind The Paint" Girl by Pinero - thw

Plays and other dramatic works
silverquill

Post by silverquill » June 13th, 2019, 10:08 pm

Thanks, Sonia!

I'm really surprised I missed so much!
I gave this a final listen and still didn't catch them.

Well, I'll get them all in as soon as I can.

I did add another go through before recording the other three acts.
Not having the stage directions set by brackets makes this more difficult.

I will edit them and give one more listen before submitting them, but they are all recorded. Act IV is much shorter, at least.

I appreciate your hard work on this, and hope the rest are easier.
Oh, I didn't realize I had that chuckle until I edited it. :lol: I almost cut it out, but thought I'd let the editor decide if it fit. There really are some hilarious moment. All that foot kissing, oh my!

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » June 15th, 2019, 6:24 am

Mr Bland, awaiting quietly in the MW, wishes the favor of a favorable PL.

Thanks, Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 15th, 2019, 7:05 am

ToddHW wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 6:24 am
Mr Bland, awaiting quietly in the MW, wishes the favor of a favorable PL.
and he'll get it: Bland totally PL ok in all his blandness :lol: My favourite scene was in the first act, where he seems to be constantly annoyed. And funny when he hadn't even bought a present for Lily :mrgreen: I liked those dialogues best.

Nice characterization, Todd. He should have had a bigger role.

Thanks !

Sonia

fsurget

Post by fsurget » June 15th, 2019, 7:53 am

Hello to you all !

May I claim Herbert Fulkerson, Act 2 and Act 3 ( sections 6 and 7 ) ?

Thank you, and may you all have a sunny weekend ! ;)

Frédéric

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » June 15th, 2019, 8:51 am

Thank you.

(Note that the section numbers move around.)

Todd

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 21st, 2019, 12:45 pm

benderca wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 11:51 am
The Hon. Mrs. Arthur Stidulph (Formerly, as Dolly Ensor, of the Pandora Theatre), Act 2:
wonderful, TJ :clap: although poor Dolly is a bit too taken in with herself (luckily she doesn't want to blow her own trumpet :lol: ) Oh and you have a dirty laugh there !!! Quite spicy. Loved it.

I found a few missing lines though:

> at about 1:06: missed line: "Karl !"

> at about 1:22: missing line: "Enid darling! Good gracious, you’re becoming an absolute skeleton!"

> at 1:50-1:57: for the two "ladies" speeches: "How d’ye do, Mr. Smythe?" and "How are you, Carlton?" - I think Mrs Stidulph won't join that group as she has already spoken to Carlton Smythe right in the beginning of this act. It makes no sense she would greet him again (with the same words too). So these can actually get cut.

Actually Todd, I only just now realized that Carlton and Smythe are the same person here :lol: So I guess you would need to make a choice who is on first name terms and who is using the family name to greet him. That would give us a different mix of voices. 8-)

Thanks, TJ !

Sonia

benderca

Post by benderca » June 21st, 2019, 1:43 pm

Kitty wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 12:45 pm
benderca wrote:
The Hon. Mrs. Arthur Stidulph (Formerly, as Dolly Ensor, of the Pandora Theatre), Act 2:
wonderful, TJ :clap: although poor Dolly is a bit too taken in with herself (luckily she doesn't want to blow her own trumpet :lol: ) Oh and you have a dirty laugh there !!! Quite spicy. Loved it.

> at about 1:22: missing line: "Enid darling! Good gracious, you’re becoming an absolute skeleton!"

> at 1:50-1:57: for the two "ladies" speeches: "How d’ye do, Mr. Smythe?" and "How are you, Carlton?" - I think Mrs Stidulph won't join that group as she has already spoken to Carlton Smythe right in the beginning of this act. It makes no sense she would greet him again (with the same words too). So these can actually get cut.

Actually Todd, I only just now realized that Carlton and Smythe are the same person here :lol: So I guess you would need to make a choice who is on first name terms and who is using the family name to greet him. That would give us a different mix of voices. 8-)

Thanks, TJ !

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia! I recorded this missing "Enid" line... must have cut it out by mistake. Luckily I have the original recording. I agree that Dolly doesn't need to greet Carlton twice (just following Todd's directions :D ) -- I'll cut them out. I'll get you that corrected file shortly.

benderca

Post by benderca » June 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm

Kitty wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 12:45 pm
benderca wrote:

Thanks, TJ !

Sonia
Here you are:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mindthepaintgirl_dolly_2_128kb.mp3

"Karl!" is at 1:08
and "Enid darling! Good gracious, you’re becoming an absolute skeleton!" is at 1:29

and I cut out "How d’ye do, Mr. Smythe?" and "How are you, Carlton?"

Thanks!
TJ

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 22nd, 2019, 2:40 am

benderca wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm
and "Enid darling! Good gracious, you’re becoming an absolute skeleton!" is at 1:29
I think in a way they are all mean to each other, saying the rudest things with a false smile on their lips :lol: Jealousies running rampant in that group. Quite a difference to the wonderful group dynamics we have here at LV :9:

Perfectly PL ok, TJ :) thank you

Sonia

benderca

Post by benderca » June 26th, 2019, 1:41 pm

Kitty wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 2:40 am
I think in a way they are all mean to each other, saying the rudest things with a false smile on their lips :lol: Jealousies running rampant in that group. Quite a difference to the wonderful group dynamics we have here at LV :9:
Too true, Sonia. We here at Librivox build each other up instead of tearing each other down as they do at the Pandora. :clap:

We discover later in this scene that Dolly is frustrated and dissatisfied with her married life away from the theater -- and her bitterness causes her to lash out (and generally act like a rude and insufferable snob). I kind of felt sorry for her (but only kind of). Enid, on the other hand, I found funny. She probably has been fending off Dolly's attacks for years and has just gotten tired of it. Still she is not very polite, but funny.
Kitty wrote:
June 22nd, 2019, 2:40 am
Perfectly PL ok, TJ :) thank you
Sonia
Why, thank you! And thank you kindly for PLing! :D

silverquill

Post by silverquill » July 5th, 2019, 8:12 am

Here is the corrected Stage Directions for Act I.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mindthepaintgirl_stagedirections_1_128kb.mp3 45:40

And, here are the NEW time stamps for your convenience, with my thanks:

> at 0:01: for the disclaimer you would have to start with “Act 1 of The Mind the Paint Girl”

> at 2:33: “The action of the piece takes place in London” – you say “pieces”

> at about 7:35: “singing” – might be optional in case the reader is singing this, but better include it, just in case

> at about 7:42: “Farncombe nods”

> at about 8:35: “Mrs Upjohn enters.”

> at about 8:55: “pleasantly”

> at about 11:49: “quietly”

> at about 11:57: two things missing: “Roper, sarcastically” and “stopping before Mrs. Upjohn”

> at about 17:12: “to Mrs Upjohn”

> at about 17:46: “passing him”

> at about 18:10: “Roper, Taking the fan from Mrs Upjohn

> at about 26:04: “To Jimmie and de Castro.”

> at 30:42: “and she returns his look with awakened interest” – you say “awkward”

> at about 43:38: “meeting his eyes”

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » July 5th, 2019, 8:26 am

silverquill wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 8:12 am
Here is the corrected Stage Directions for Act I.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mindthepaintgirl_stagedirections_1_128kb.mp3 45:40
And, here are the NEW time stamps for your convenience, with my thanks:
thank you so much, Larry. These time-stamps that you are giving always make my job so much easier. :9: Especially in such long sections. Everything is included and PL ok now. :thumbs: Todd can start inserting the bits and pieces into the correct slots.

Have a nice weekend :)

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW » July 5th, 2019, 8:45 am

Great!

Thanks, Todd

DuckTD

Post by DuckTD » July 5th, 2019, 11:43 am

Hello,

Mrs. Upjohn, Act 4 is here.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mindthepaintgirl_mrsupjohn_4_128kb.mp3
It is 6 minutes and 35 seconds long.

Hopefully it's good to go. I had to insert an 'ah' at 5:36, so that's done now. :)
Tracy