COMPLETE[PLAYS]One Act Play Collection 012 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PetitPoiSon wrote: September 6th, 2019, 3:42 amHere iz ze part of ze French cook François :)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/wantedamalecook_francois_baker.mp3
:clap: wonderfully hilarious, Pauline. Absolutely great performance. I had to laugh each time you say "oh, sacré" :lol: And the dixie part is really well acted out. And of course the French accent is an absolute bonus here. :thumbs:

Totally PL ok. Thank you so much.

So this means the play is ready to edit, pending an editor of course.

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Finally! Here is Everybody's Husband, clocking in at a mere 53:14. (I really didn't realize while reading through it that it would be so long!)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays012_04_various_128kb.mp3

I hope you enjoy it, Campbell! As always, I welcome any feedback about volume matching/balancing. I never really trust myself to be consistent with it, especially when editing is done in several sessions like this. Also, there was one part (during "The Guilty Mother," I believe it was) where "Bunbury, aside" keeps happening every other line, and I wasn't sure whether or not to cut the stage directions on a few instances. What do you think?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: September 12th, 2019, 3:47 pmFinally! Here is Everybody's Husband, clocking in at a mere 53:14.
brilliant, thank you, Devorah :) I have just updated the MW, starting to look good now. :9:

Two more plays waiting to be edited...

Sonia
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

mightyfelix wrote: September 12th, 2019, 3:47 pm Finally! Here is Everybody's Husband, clocking in at a mere 53:14. (I really didn't realize while reading through it that it would be so long!)

I hope you enjoy it, Campbell! As always, I welcome any feedback about volume matching/balancing. I never really trust myself to be consistent with it, especially when editing is done in several sessions like this. Also, there was one part (during "The Guilty Mother," I believe it was) where "Bunbury, aside" keeps happening every other line, and I wasn't sure whether or not to cut the stage directions on a few instances. What do you think?
Wow, that is longer than I thought. Sounded great together. I think where you cut the asides and stage directions seemed fine to me. As for volume, I can tell what you're talking about. Even looking at the overall waveform, it goes up and down quite a bit. Most of the time I thought the transitions were smooth and I couldn't really tell, but there were a few times where the volume seemed to jump a bit. Also, occasionally there were one off lines that seemed either too quiet or too loud. These things seemed to happen more towards the end (or maybe my ears were just sensitive then). The list looks a bit long, but you can definitely choose to ignore some of these things.

0:35 –Dick’s voice credit could use some noise cleaning (this is the only line I noticed this)

3:30 – I would either decrease the volume slightly or give more space, just seems a bit harsh

27:13 –volume jump (up)

29:05 – volume jump (up)

33:00 – this line increasingly gets quieter, seems to be rather the transition between a louder part and a quieter part but happens a bit fast

33:40 – volume jump (up)

34:00 – The first part of Fanny’s line seemed a bit loud, and startled me a bit

35:02 – Twissleton’s line sounds quiet here

35:20 -35:30– these few lines seem quieter than what surrounds them

42:31-42:45 – these lines seem louder than those around it

43:16 – this line seems quieter than those surrounding

47:55 –volume jump (up)

48:36 – appears you were trying to cut out the words ‘center door on flat’, but ‘center’ still remains

49:00 begins to accelerate volume, but happens a bit fast (especially the gasp at 49:09)

50:02 – this line seems quiet

50:22 – volume jump (down)
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks, Campbell. I'll work on these tomorrow, if I'm feeling up to it. Feeling kind of rough today. I probably did miss more of the volume problems towards the end. I think at that point, I was just getting impatient to be done and not taking the care I should have.
lymiewithpurpose

mightyfelix wrote: September 14th, 2019, 4:35 pm Feeling kind of rough today.
I'm sorry you don't feel well. Take your time, and feel better soon!
Campbell
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Alright, Campbell, I hope this one will do it! I didn't address each one of your notes here. Your ears (or maybe headphones?) must work differently than mine, because I didn't hear some of the problems that you did. I did address almost all of them though. My comments are below, in bold. I did at least make a small change on each of these, except in those one or two spots I've specified, below. The good news is that time stamps did not change, since it was mostly volume.

lymiewithpurpose wrote: September 14th, 2019, 2:48 pm
0:35 –Dick’s voice credit could use some noise cleaning (this is the only line I noticed this) Good catch here! I noticed as I edited that his lines had some noise, so I repaired them as I came to them, but didn't think to go back and catch the voice credit!

3:30 – I would either decrease the volume slightly or give more space, just seems a bit harsh

27:13 –volume jump (up) I decreased this stage direction a tad, but mostly increased Mrs. Pimpernel's line, as well as her longer line just prior to this.

29:05 – volume jump (up) I left this one alone. It is a change from an aside line to an aloud line, so I think a small jump is fine here.

33:00 – this line increasingly gets quieter, seems to be rather the transition between a louder part and a quieter part but happens a bit fast I did fiddle a bit with the timing on this line, as well as pitch, just a bit (which I don't often do), but I didn't change the volume. To my ears, it actually seemed to get a bit louder in the middle of the line. :hmm: I also decreased the volume on a couple of Twisselton's lines just prior to this.

33:40 – volume jump (up)

34:00 – The first part of Fanny’s line seemed a bit loud, and startled me a bit

35:02 – Twissleton’s line sounds quiet here Did not change this one. If it is a little quieter, then I think that makes sense because Twisselton is so flabbergasted here. But when I increase it even a little, it sounds too loud to me.

35:20 -35:30– these few lines seem quieter than what surrounds them

42:31-42:45 – these lines seem louder than those around it

43:16 – this line seems quieter than those surrounding

47:55 –volume jump (up)

48:36 – appears you were trying to cut out the words ‘center door on flat’, but ‘center’ still remains Yes, I was trying to keep the "center" in. I like the sound of the narrator giving us the setup here. So-and-So, right, Such-and-Such, left, and the Other One, center, to give us the image of Twisselton being surrounded. And "center door on flat" just sounds clunky to me. It's not a direction that I'm used to hearing or reading, either. Anyway, I think I found a more natural-sounding way to do it. :) See what you think.

49:00 begins to accelerate volume, but happens a bit fast (especially the gasp at 49:09) I think you mean the gasp in particular is too loud? I did decrease it a bit, as well as a couple of other spots after the 49:00 mark. But I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

50:02 – this line seems quiet

50:22 – volume jump (down)
lymiewithpurpose

mightyfelix wrote: September 15th, 2019, 3:43 pm Alright, Campbell, I hope this one will do it! I didn't address each one of your notes here. Your ears (or maybe headphones?) must work differently than mine, because I didn't hear some of the problems that you did. I did address almost all of them though. My comments are below, in bold. I did at least make a small change on each of these, except in those one or two spots I've specified, below. The good news is that time stamps did not change, since it was mostly volume.

Nice work, all of them sound great now. Isn't it funny how we can all hear things differently? Perhaps I'm just a bit sensitive. You also made me think about how changing the volume can help depending on context... all in all an eye (or ear) opening experience. Thanks for letting me PL.
Campbell
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I am going to PL A Dollar.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 3:57 pm Okay, friends. Here is my first attempt at play editing.

A Dollar by David Pinski:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays012_05_various_128kb.mp3 (34:34)

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would volunteer to PL the whole play -- I can guarantee you it is entertaining (definitely not a wasted half an hour, to be sure). So much talent in so little space... :clap: I had a blast putting this together (and I hate -- or at least strongly dislike editing :) ). The stage directions have not been PLed by anyone except me, so if someone decides to take a listen, please pay special attention to the stage directions. The parts have all been PLed. Also I'd appreciate any advice on the spacing.

I left most of the stage directions in, even when they weren't absolutely necessary because I thought Pinski has an eloquent writing style and his stage directions are quite expressive. I did take a few out and am considering taking a few more out. These are all up for consideration (some of them I took out already):

4:55 TRAGEDIAN: (with an outburst)

9:24 TRAGEDIAN: (explosively)

15:46 HEROINE: (angrily)

29:05 TRAGEDIAN: (in rage)

29:25 VILLAIN: (contemptuously)

29:47 COMEDIAN: (continuing)

31:10 VILLAIN: (shouting)

34:36 COMEDIAN: (in a gentle tone of voice)

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone wants to offer!
TJ
Very nice job. PL OK as it is now.

I think of some stage directions such like "shouting" or "angrily" or "contemptuously" as being for visual things on stage - the actor's posture and expression as much as what they say - and so I do often leave more in than strictly necessary from an audio perspective. I agree with the cuts you have already made. And I really like the overlapping of group speeches you have done - great work!

And who would have thought that "To Be or Not To Be" could be made into a country dance??

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: September 17th, 2019, 9:19 am
benderca wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 3:57 pm Okay, friends. Here is my first attempt at play editing.

A Dollar by David Pinski:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/oneactplays012_05_various_128kb.mp3 (34:34)

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would volunteer to PL the whole play -- I can guarantee you it is entertaining (definitely not a wasted) half an hour, to be sure. So much talent in so little space... :clap: I had a blast putting this together (and I hate -- or at least strongly dislike editing :) ). The stage directions have not been PLed by anyone except me, so if someone decides to take a listen, please pay special attention to the stage directions. The parts have all been PLed. Also I'd appreciate any advice on the spacing.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone wants to offer!
TJ
Very nice job. PL OK as it is now.

I think of some stage directions such like "shouting" or "angrily" or "contemptuously" as being for visual things on stage - the actor's posture and expression as much as what they say - and so I do often leave more in than strictly necessary from an audio perspective. I agree with the cuts you have already made. And I really like the overlapping of group speeches you have done - great work!

And who would have thought that "To Be or Not To Be" could be made into a country dance??

Thanks, Todd
Thanks so much, Todd! Yes, the country dance sure shows Shakespeare in a new light! And our troupe did such a fantastic job (each has his/her own individual style). :clap:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Just checking in and seeing editor needed

I'd be glad to work on 07. The Line of No Resistance by Percival Wilde
Maybe the other one, but let's see how this goes first.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: September 24th, 2019, 6:38 am Just checking in and seeing editor needed

Larry !!! you're our saviour. Thank you for helping with the editing. Although, Elsie mentioned that she was in the process of editing The Line of No Resistance, so I fear you may be doing double work. Actually it's the other one that is looking for an editor. If you wouldn't mind, could you edit Wanted Male cook instead ?

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Hallelujah! Thanks, Larry!

Todd
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Kitty wrote: September 24th, 2019, 6:43 am
silverquill wrote: September 24th, 2019, 6:38 am Just checking in and seeing editor needed

Larry !!! you're our saviour. Thank you for helping with the editing. Although, Elsie mentioned that she was in the process of editing The Line of No Resistance, so I fear you may be doing double work. Actually it's the other one that is looking for an editor. If you wouldn't mind, could you edit Wanted Male cook instead ?

Sonia
Sure. I wasn't sure about editing a play I have a part in, but I'd be glad to lend a hand Neither one is too hard.
It'll be good to get these wrapped up and close the project.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry